We were incredibly disappointed with this hotel, which we intended to enjoy as a weekend romantic getaway. Some of the "why":
1) The "Central Thermal" spa which, judging from the pictures on the website, appeared to be quite lovely. However, we quickly realized we had been misled. The facility resembled a poorly maintained community pool, with screaming kids running around, old and worn tiles, crowded facilities, lousy view of cement buildings and overall a most UNrelaxing atmosphere. Beware that it looks NOTHING like the pictures, and is incomparable to any of the wonderful spas in the Zurich area. It functions simultaneously as a Spa for the community and the hotel guests. Yikes.
2) The room decor, which seemed outdated and just plain ugly. Utterly unromantic.
3) The layout of the hotel - we had to traverse a strange and long corridor, with strong sulphuric odors, to reach the Central Thermal, which continued to disappoint with its YMCA-like atmosphere.
The hotel itself was not much of a feast for the eyes. The pictures on the website are simply not an accurate reflection of this very commonplace establishment.
4) The Bed - it seemed to cave in in the middle, and lack support in a most incommodious way. I wouldn't not have slept there if you paid me.
Also on our mind:
-We left before dining in the restaurant, but I can imagine the cooking would not have been very inspired.
-We bought our getaway package on Deindeal.ch, which had listed the original price as something upwards of 600 francs a night for our package deal, which included breakfast and dinner. Even with our near 50% discount, this hotel wholeheartedly disappointed us and was not at all the experience we had expected.
****Please beware if you choose this hotel as a getaway, that you might as well spend the day at a spa nearby and sleep at home - there are far better way to indulge...and in fact, this was the least indulgent establishment i have ever visited in my life.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxurious and calm, the Grand Hotel & Thermal Center will allow you a break for full recharge. Directly linked to Thermal Center, this peaceful place offers quality services. Ideal for alone travellers, couples or family as well as for your business trip to Yverdon-les-Bains. We will treat you to make your stay magic and unforgettable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Grand Hotel & Centre Thermal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Yverdon