“Terrible Rooms... Lovely Thermal Springs..”

Thermal Hotels und Walliser Alpentherme & Spa
Ranked #16 of 26 Hotels in Leukerbad
Reviewed 17 January 2013

My family spent Christmas at the Linder Hotel in Leukerbad. After reading other reviews we knew the rooms were tired... boy were they tired! I am a small female (162cm, 60kgs) and found the shower terribly small... so small it was difficult to wash my hair as my elbows banged against the sides. My brother who is over 6 foot also struggled with the shower.

As Australian's we are used to decent sized hotel rooms, and I'm told European rooms are smaller than what we're used to however these were tiny. 2 adults and 2 suitcases... Tight squeeze!

WiFi is only available in reception.

Breakfast is good, staff on reception are helpful. Pools within the hotel are great, especially the outdoor pool in the snow. The hotel is also located a 5 minute walk to the gondola to the nearby ski resort.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank AliMay18

Reviewed 24 December 2012

I spent 2 days in this nice hotel.
Excellent staff with remarkable attention to customers.
The hotel is very nice, with thermal bath facilities in the hotel for free or through a tunnel to access at the larger thermal area.
In this case the hotel offers a discount rate which has been really appreciated.
The hotel provides bath robe and you can walk straight to the thermal bath and enjoy pure relax in a outdoor hot pool while snow falls.
Our room was large, comfortable and clean with an outstanding view on the mountains.
At the check in we have received a free welcome drink.
Great breakfast rich and various with plenty of choice.
Not same level for the dinner but despite lower choice still remarkable the service level.
Rapid and efficient check out.
We would recommend to use the parking facility: you'll have your car in a indoor parking, parked by a valet which will return your car at the moment of your leave. In winter time is a very good service worth to pay 14 chf for it.
Everything is arranged for your relax!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cris M
Reviewed 22 December 2012 via mobile

I've been working in hospitality for more than ten years and understand standards and customer care. This hotel and its thermal center haven't got the right service for the price payed!! We went for drinks at the bar and there was no service, once the drinks arrived we where expecting some nibbles.... Nothing! 32 CHF(28€)!!! We then decided to have a club sandwich at the Bistrot, 50€ for the worst sandwich, realy avarege!!
The Room was small, no shampoo, no conditioner, no toothpaste or toothbrush, no iron, lights not working and finally we opened a fresh bottle of sparkling water and it was flat!! (5€ a bottle) onestly it a joke!

NOT RACOMMENDED

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Jd0687
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Siamo tornati al Lindner Hotel Alpentherme dopo un'anno e abbiamo notato che il servizio clienti è peggiorato di molto e i vantaggi di cui beneficiavano gli ospiti dell'hotel per il centro termale Alpentherme sono spariti.
Anche il centro termale dell'albergo secondo noi è peggiorato sia a livello di pulizia che a livello di qualità.
Per concludere posso dire che per il prezzo che si paga e per la qualità che si riceve questo non è più un albergo svizzero 4 stelle.

We visited the Lindner Hotel Alpentherme one year ago and this year we noticed that the customer service was only decent. The advantages for the Lindner Hotel guests are not available anymore (free entrance to the Alpentherme as much as you wanted). Also the Hotel SPA is not nice as it used to be.
To conclude I could say that for the price and for the quality that you get this is not a 4 stars Swiss Hotel anymore that's for sure.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank biry87
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Leukerbad is a small village tucked into the Swiss Alps at about 1400 meters. The town centers around the huge Spa and its mountain views.

The most troubling deterioration for me as a business person is the fact that when Leukerbad and a stay at the Linden Hotel and Alpen Spa use to say to clients that they are being terated special, it now says that they are being treated cheaply. Here are some of the reasons why I will no longer book clients or client events at the Linden Hotel:

1. The spa is run by the Linder Hotel group and you use to have free access, now you only have discounted prices...and the prices aren't cheap, not even very reasonable. For example, I pay about half for a 60 minute massage in Geneva (with a much better masseus) than I pay at the Clarin cnetre in the spa. You can even fid more reasonable offers in Leukerbad if you look around. You get the feeling you are in a tourist trap and you are treated like in a way that conveys this.

2. They used to provide fruit baskets. This time they provide a solitary orange per person.

3. There used to be good showers. The first night there was no hot water.

4. They used to allow late check-out at least until 2 pm. Now they only allow you to extend the 11 am checkout until 11:30 am!

5. The breakfast use to be excellent with many kinds of cheese, special waffles and freshly cooked omelettes/eggs. The cheese is down to three cheap varities, the waffles are gone (one of my guests use to want to stay here just for the waffles), and the freshly cooked omelettes and eggs are a thing of the past. For that matter even the fresh fruit that use to be found in the the lobby every afternoon has been replaced by free tap water!

6. The free pick-up from the bus staton (if you travel by train you need to take a bus up the mountains) is now an on-demand service, but when demanded for two guests we were told it is not available right now and they were not sure when it woud be available.

7. And perhaps most importantly, the staff that use to always be friendly and helpful are now stingy and rude. For example, when they did not have towels in the sauna area of the hotel and I asked for towels I was told that they are never there even though they were the last five times I was here. I mentioned this very politely and was told rather tersely "Well the hotel management has changed and we don't provide them any more." I held myself from replying, "Did they change over night, because they provided them yesterday?" Any retort would have been useless as she had already turned her back on me.

On top of all this prices have gone up since early 2012 about 20%, when in most of Switzerland they are going down. The reason, apparently annoyed hotel employ told me, is that the hotel "needs to make as much money as they can before the 51° complex is built in front of the hotel." Thhe 51° is a new complex of condos and appartments for multimillionaries, but it is a shame that a more accessable four-star hotel is using it as an excuse to price gouge their guests while providing a continuiously deteriorating service. The only explanation the hotle employee could give, who is Swiss herself, is "well, this is Switzerland." I am not sure that is true as I have had some very good experiences in Switzerland, but this is not one of them.

Room Tip: Try the Mercure another 4-star hotel. Old, but better service
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank cfjd
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Furniture was a bit worn-out. The pools weren't clean. There were some bad smells in the hall leading form the lobby to the rooms. Employees at the reception were rather cold. The room was confortable. Despite a mail explaining me that the rooms are a available at 3pm, I had to wait an extra 30 minutes more. The hotel is worth 4 stars but some things need yet to be improved.

Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Stayed 2 nights here with my teenage son......Thank Goodness we didn't pay the rack rate!...Leukerbad is beautiful, spas great ,walking and scenery outstanding.....The Hotel is dated, faded and has some of the worst service I have come across in the Hotel industry,EXCEPT the chambermaids on our floor 4 who were polite, helpful and engaging.
Such a shame as it could be a great Hotel...Check in was appalling we arrived at night 10pm after travelling all day I was alone with a teenager. Two male receptionists decided to eventually deal with us after finishing their conversation and deciding who could be bothered. Unbeknown to them at the time I speak French and fully understand their whole conversation.
Breakfast was a hushed affair with a grumpy waitress and I felt like I was in a sanatorium!!....The breakfast choice was good and I couldn't fault that so credit to Chef.I had to wait for a table to be cleared and set up and felt intrusive and a pain!
We had a busy day at the Spa and walking we had a late lunch out. We decided to go to the bar for a drink and a snack...The head Barman was grumpy and I actually asked if he could smile as i was fed up of looking at miserable staff... We asked for a Club Sandwich off the bar menu and he looked at his watch and tutted...not quite the response you were looking for !...

Great Place but try another Hotel is my advice.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family