“A great family weekend”

Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Leukerbad
Singapore, Singapore
“A great family weekend”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a great weekend stay at this hotel. We were a couple with a 3yo and a baby, so chose the type 6 room. It suited us perfectly with the 2 bedrooms and we much preferred the set up of the rooms then usual inter-connecting hotel rooms. The room was modern, clean and comfortable. A small fridge and a kettle would have made it perfect for us.
We used the children's play room which had some nice toys and was also kept clean and tidy.
The breakfast was just what we needed to set us up for a morning's walk and the 2 wait staff we met were very friendly and made us feel welcome with our 2 little ones.
We ate in the restaurant in the evenings. Although the food was fine, it seemed there was no chef and that things were mostly preprepared. However, it suited us to eat there with the 2 small children.
Another review mentioned that as they knew what to expect, they were happy with this hotel. I can agree with that, as it struck me this wasn't a hotel per se and run more like a guest house. We also got a special offer and did not pay full price.
Although we would be happy to return, I am not sure we'd stay again at full price.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the room across from the 'main' building where the pool and reception are
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The hotel is at the center of Leukerbad, at walking distance from the large thermal facility (Burgerbad). It also includes a small pool (which we did not use), as well as a playroom for kids (great idea!). Rooms in the second building are recently renovated, large and clean. We would warmly recommend to equip the rooms with telephones (if only to communicate with the reception w/o crossing the street) and small bottles of shower gel+shampoo. Breakfast is OK but not stunning. Parking place for 9.- CHF /night at the Rathaus (3 min walk). Free Wi-Fi is provided. Front desk staff speaks English and German. Overall, a kids-friendly accommodation and a good choice for families.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dublin
Reviewed 15 March 2013

After initial dissatisfaction with my room, I was given a new room in the main hotel across the road, i.e. not in the building housing the reception and wellness area. It was more to my liking as it had that Swiss chalet feel and a rustic-looking balcony in a more secluded spot. The breakfast was a little disappointing as there was nothing hot on offer, i.e. not even scrambled eggs. In terms of what we paid for the room it was average. This is not to say the hotel is bad. It's actually quite cosy, but only if you are staying in the main building and not the one housing the reception.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Chamonix, France
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Of course, I read the negative reviews before booking, but having done the research (little things like parking, where reception is, where the family rooms are etc) I still came to the conclusion that this was the best place for us to stay in Leukerbad as a couple with a three month old baby, as the place seemed geared up for babies and older (retirement age and above) guests.

We arrived early and on asking it was no problem to have access to the room earlier. We parked up briefly outside to drop everything off then chose to park the car in Rathaus (nearer than Sportarena). You park as normal taking a ticket, then at the end of the stay you pay the hotel directly for the parking and you get a better rate (and a new ticket to get you out of the parking).

Family rooms are in the spa/cure house building, which is where reception is. Indeed meals are taken across the road in the other building where the other category rooms are. I can understand how this might be annoying if you weren't expecting it, but we were so it was no problem - after all, you have to get dressed to go to breakfast even if it is in the same building.

Our room was lovely and perfect for a nervous Mum on her first holiday with baby. There's a bedroom with bathroom off and a living room area separated by a curtain. The baby bed was already set up for us in the room when we arrived. There is no balcony, but you can access the roof terrace. There is also a 'baby station' in the corridor with microwave and kettle. What is great about these rooms is that they are large enough to spread all your baby things out AND comfortably get the buggy in the room. Oh and with the new uPVC windows it was really really quiet and we all slept well.

The spa - it has been recently renovated and although I think it was originally more for medicinal purposes, we found the whole area clean, quiet and relaxing. Compared to the other public spas of Burgerbad and Alpentherme it is tiny, but it was perfect for us with our baby Liam. In fact, we simply took the pram directly into the spa area as it was spacious enough and accessed direct from the lift. There's the pool (with jets), foot massage pool, hamman, sauna, physiotherm heat therapy and relaxation room. I must also mention the drinks corner with the most gorgeous Myrtille syrup drink ever!

Meal times - we opted for half board as we had Liam with us and I know meals are eaten early in Switzerland, which again suited us having a baby. Breakfast is a buffet and it was lovely and typically Swiss (we're in Switzerland after all!) so don't expect croissants, but the choice of fresh breads was lovely. Dinner is at 18:30 (not FROM 18:30) and if you choose in advance there is a choice of three set menus. For the price, it is very good value, but remember it is more like a holiday centre menu than a gourmet restaurant, but again we knew this and it was just right for us. My partner was delighted when he found out it was raclette on our last night! Also a special mention for the server who was there every breakfast and dinner, very friendly, smiley and chatty.

Overall, if you know what you are expecting with this 'maison de cure et vacances' I am sure you will be delighted as we were. I only wish we'd stayed another night. Living only 1.5 hours away, we will definitely go back for a family short break!

Room Tip: Family rooms (type 5 on their website) are in the spa building, all others are in the other building...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CaroFace
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 15 October 2011

My wife I stayed here for 1 (one) night during my road trip through Switzerland. Customer service was non-existent and we almost needed to look for another hotel. The reason was because we arrived in Leukerbad after 5pm and Swiss people leave their job post at 5:01pm. No one was there to do the check-in (located in a different building). I had to spend almost 45 min of my vacation time, looking for someone to give us the key. Inside the hotel, the staff (restaurant and maids) were clueless and barely spoke English. In the end I found the runaway front desk guy and using hand gestures and my confirmation papers I managed to solve my problem. Bottom line: Make sure you get your arrival arrangements right, in written, before landing here.

Parking a car is a challenge because the hotel does not offer parking spots. You need to park in a private area, outside the city (four blocks away) and pay from you own pocket.

Hotel has a beautiful and typical Swiss architecture, all made of wood. It is well located and close to the MIGROS market and the major thermal baths (walking distance). Well, the city is small anyway. The room was very clean but the matress - like most of US $ 150-200 a night hotels in Switzerland - was thin and not confortable at all. No queen or king size bed as I requested in advance. I was too tired to fight over this... Apparently swiss couples don't like to share a bed because this situation happened over and over during my 2-week trip in different hotels.

There was a bathroom inside the room, but only for toilet and sink usage. Showers are located down the floor, for sharing with other guests. Very small for a 6" guy like me. Let me tell you, for a spoiled brat like me, this is always an annoyance, especially when I am not alone. There is no A/C in the room. Probably because of the high altitude, they take for granted that nobody needs it. No TV in the room either (I didn't complain, though). No free Internet access (payment on the side). Nice view from the balcony.

Buffet breakfast was good, offering milk, coffee, hot chocolate, juice, cold cuts, lots of cheese (Switzerland standard during breakfast time), fresh bread, butter, jelly, yogurt, fresh fruits, tomatoes, etc. European and Latin American style. If you a tired of Marriot US breakfast style (hot "meals" like bacon and eggs + tasteless muffins + processed food), this hotel is a good pick.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple