“Had a great time” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Leukerbad
Lausanne
“Had a great time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

The hotel did everything we needed it to do. We had a large room with balcony. The view was fantastic. The room itself had character and had a classic ski hotel feel. The dinner was great. We ended up eating go the hotel each night. The 5 course meal felt healthy, light and yet plenty to eat. The food was a highlight. Breakfast was very good also. The indoor pool was hot and is beautifully situated so you can relax and watch the mountains. However the outdoor pool is not working . This was a disappointment. We went to the mainbaths go town and they were great. Overall, I would stay again.

• Stayed December 2011
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank cradsie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2007

Hotel Regina Terme seems far from average, but I'm giving it neutral/ average rating here because of the good and the bad cancelling each other out.

As I was specifically looking for one with own thermal facilities, my hotel choices in Leukerbad were limited. The one five-star hotel being beyond my budget and Linder and Bristol having somewhat poor reviews here, I had only Regina and one other place that had salt water pools.

First the good
- I had half board, and the five-course dinners for only 35 francs more a night were excellent. Dinner was pretty formal, and I had fun dressing up for it. Of course, the hotel also provided hearty, tasty breakfast, and the view of the green hills from the breakfast room was an added bonus.
- The huge balcony that came with my superior single (additional 10 francs) was equipped with a long deck chair and parasol and gave me great views of the village and the mountains. I didn't make as much use of the balcony as originally anticipated because I spent so much time in the mountains, but it was still great to spend few moments in the morning and in the evening in the balcony. The low partitioning between neighboring balconies would not have provided much privacy, however, if needed.
- The location, on the edge of the village near some hiking paths, provided the quite and easy hiking access. For some, however, this might be a negative aspect because the location is not conducive to enjoying evening entertainment.
- Nice staff who were eager to be helpful.
- The pools. I especially enjoyed the outdoor pool which was big enough for lap swimming.

Now the bad
-My biggest problem was the bed. The bed creaked a lot, and the foam mattress, although initially firm, would become too dented by my behind in about two hours of lying in it. I kept getting awakened and ended up resorting to sleeping pills by the second half of the second night in order to get some solid Zs. I'm still a bit puzzled as no other guests of the hotel, mostly retired couples, seemed to have a bed issue (I even asked). I seriously considered staying in Leukerbad another night, but the bed stopped me. I had no trouble sleeping during subsequent nights else where.
-General dinginess of the room. I already knew that four stars didn't mean much in Europe, and "superior" just meant I had a balcony, but still... The front desk initially checked me into a double next door, and that room didn't look a whole lot better, although much bigger and with a tub and actual sitting area.
-Haphazard staff- they try to be nice and helpful, but they didn't seem much professional. I initially tried to reserve my room directly through hotel, but they fell behind with emails and so I had to book through the tourist office at slightly higher price. Also, just five minutes after I was checked into a double, the receptionist came running up to tell me there was a mistake. The double was obviously prepared for one person (judging from the bathrobe, slippers, and towels), and the single room I was put into turned out to be not ready for my use. Also the maid didn't change my bed sheet even though the left half had stains all over (I ate cholate in bed during the hours I couldn't sleep without realizing crumbs were falling). In their defense, this is a family-run hotel and as such provides more intimate atmosphere.

Overall, I think it's still a good value for the money. I might give this place another try if I am in needed of a double next time.

• Liked — dinner service and the pools
  • Disliked — bed
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled solo