“it needs a face lift”

Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Leukerbad
Geneva, Switzerland
“it needs a face lift”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Nice and clean hotel but needs to be renovated. I am not sure when it was built but I felt like I was back in 1970s. The service was good. It was very convenient to have an outdoor and indoor swimming pools. various treatments (massages, facials) can be booked in advance. While the massage I had was very good and not expensive for Swiss standards I found that the room was cold and not conducive to relaxation.

• Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed twice at the hotel. The view is fantastic and the staff uncommonly friendly and helpful.
The lovely 70' architecture has been preserved in the renovation. It is clean, modern, quiet and comfortable, quite a change from horrible all-plastic places.
The private baths are located in a particularly nice part of the hotel, with vast windows revealing the scenery. In March, there were candlelight baths in the evenings, enchanting atmosphere with the snow and the stars. Overall perfect experience.

Room Tip: All room are quiet. The rooms with a balcony are spectacular.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Rocky River
Reviewed 10 August 2013

A different experience of the intriguing kind firstly located out of the main village so use own transport or work out the very easy bus route connection. The spa facilities and hotel are older and far more friendly than the commercial overly busy centres in the centre of town.

Room Tip: Rooms with a beautiful view always available because of location
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jann255069
Los Angeles
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Stepping into the hotel and its rooms bring you quickly back into the charm of the 70s and early 80s. It is modern old but well-maintained and clean. Old grandfather clocks, a mix of ornate and clean lines... it is as if one stepped into a time capsule of the 20th century.

The thermal baths are not great and would benefit from a renovation since the view from the good location of the hotel deserves to be tapped. Actually one has to be convinced oneself that the mineral baths with iron oxide sediments are clean because the indoor thermal bath water is an algae brownish green. Not the most enticing water to step into but we turned out ok. As for the outdoor pool, we did not try to go in. It had many dead insects floating around and trying to lie in the sun was impossible because of the 2nd hand cigarette smoke from smokers lighting up around the pool!

The best part of the hotel must have been the balcony. We stayed on the top floor with an open air balcony and in our almost private balcony space with no smokers, we lie on the padded deck chairs enjoying the mountains in the day and the stars at night (we saw the milky way)! Another good thing is the dinner. We paid for half board and had a lovely dinner.

The location is not near the main thoroughfare or the Rathaus but next to the Thermal canyon walk. The hotel also offers rides to and fro the bus stop where you get on/off the bus from Leuk to Leukerbad.

Overall a good experience. Hotel should seriously look into investing in upgrading their terme baths. It is sad to see a potentially good view not done more to make the bathing experience a more positive one!

• Stayed August 2012
Lausanne
Reviewed 13 January 2012

The hotel did everything we needed it to do. We had a large room with balcony. The view was fantastic. The room itself had character and had a classic ski hotel feel. The dinner was great. We ended up eating go the hotel each night. The 5 course meal felt healthy, light and yet plenty to eat. The food was a highlight. Breakfast was very good also. The indoor pool was hot and is beautifully situated so you can relax and watch the mountains. However the outdoor pool is not working . This was a disappointment. We went to the mainbaths go town and they were great. Overall, I would stay again.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank cradsie
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 October 2007

Hotel Regina Terme seems far from average, but I'm giving it neutral/ average rating here because of the good and the bad cancelling each other out.

As I was specifically looking for one with own thermal facilities, my hotel choices in Leukerbad were limited. The one five-star hotel being beyond my budget and Linder and Bristol having somewhat poor reviews here, I had only Regina and one other place that had salt water pools.

First the good
- I had half board, and the five-course dinners for only 35 francs more a night were excellent. Dinner was pretty formal, and I had fun dressing up for it. Of course, the hotel also provided hearty, tasty breakfast, and the view of the green hills from the breakfast room was an added bonus.
- The huge balcony that came with my superior single (additional 10 francs) was equipped with a long deck chair and parasol and gave me great views of the village and the mountains. I didn't make as much use of the balcony as originally anticipated because I spent so much time in the mountains, but it was still great to spend few moments in the morning and in the evening in the balcony. The low partitioning between neighboring balconies would not have provided much privacy, however, if needed.
- The location, on the edge of the village near some hiking paths, provided the quite and easy hiking access. For some, however, this might be a negative aspect because the location is not conducive to enjoying evening entertainment.
- Nice staff who were eager to be helpful.
- The pools. I especially enjoyed the outdoor pool which was big enough for lap swimming.

Now the bad
-My biggest problem was the bed. The bed creaked a lot, and the foam mattress, although initially firm, would become too dented by my behind in about two hours of lying in it. I kept getting awakened and ended up resorting to sleeping pills by the second half of the second night in order to get some solid Zs. I'm still a bit puzzled as no other guests of the hotel, mostly retired couples, seemed to have a bed issue (I even asked). I seriously considered staying in Leukerbad another night, but the bed stopped me. I had no trouble sleeping during subsequent nights else where.
-General dinginess of the room. I already knew that four stars didn't mean much in Europe, and "superior" just meant I had a balcony, but still... The front desk initially checked me into a double next door, and that room didn't look a whole lot better, although much bigger and with a tub and actual sitting area.
-Haphazard staff- they try to be nice and helpful, but they didn't seem much professional. I initially tried to reserve my room directly through hotel, but they fell behind with emails and so I had to book through the tourist office at slightly higher price. Also, just five minutes after I was checked into a double, the receptionist came running up to tell me there was a mistake. The double was obviously prepared for one person (judging from the bathrobe, slippers, and towels), and the single room I was put into turned out to be not ready for my use. Also the maid didn't change my bed sheet even though the left half had stains all over (I ate cholate in bed during the hours I couldn't sleep without realizing crumbs were falling). In their defense, this is a family-run hotel and as such provides more intimate atmosphere.

Overall, I think it's still a good value for the money. I might give this place another try if I am in needed of a double next time.

• Liked — dinner service and the pools
  • Disliked — bed
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled solo