We have stayed in several hotels in Switzerland (including Wengen, Davos, Murren, Zermatt and St Moritz), and we liked this hotel very much even if our favourite resort is still Wengen. This hotel does have many plus points - in particular the lovely quiet location away from any main roads, and a very tastefully decorated "wellness area" comprising the swimming pool and spa area. We were given an upgrade from an ordinary double room to a suite when we arrived, which was super - again the decor was very tasteful and it was lovely to have two balconies. Being able to make up our own packed lunches from the breakfast buffet each morning was a significant bonus. The visitors' card giving us free use of the bus into Kandersteg was useful. And the hotel also had easy access to a number of lovely nearby walks.
On the down side, we did have some minor criticisms. For example, we were surprised to be charged 4 francs for a half litre of still water at dinner each evening. I had asked for tap water but the waiter indicated that this was what they provided. The waiters and waitresses generally were very friendly but we felt they probably needed a more experienced head waiter to be in charge of the restaurant to ensure that people weren't kept waiting too long, or that language barriers could be overcome more quickly. Also, the hotel restaurant is closed one day a week, and so we had to go to a neighbouring restaurant one night for dinner. Fine if you like raclette or mountainous slabs of meat and sauerkraut - probably very traditional but really not very enticing. We also found that the hotel minibus 3 times a week to Adelboden advertised in the Swiss Travel brochure did not happen at this time of the year. My bedside light was so dim that it was impossible to read by it, and my husband would have liked to have been able to get an English speaking TV station e.g. CNN to catch up on the news.
We might go back again one year, but on balance feel we are much more likely to return to Wengen.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "Staying with friends" In Kandersteg, the most beautiful place in the Bernese Oberland, to expect the Waldhotel Doldenhorn **** Superior with its award-winning cuisine, which you can enjoy in various restaurants and bars. The Resort features a generous wellness & spa area, where you can bathe in the purest mountain spring water. In enchanting little park, the mountain water flows harmoniously through small streams. Our hotel invites you to relax, enjoy and feel a. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Waldhotel Doldenhorn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waldhotel Doldenhorn Kandersteg
- Waldhotel Doldenhorn Hotel Kandersteg