“Great stay close to the lake”
Review of Hotel Lavaux

Hotel Lavaux
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cully
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I stayed for only one night in this hotel but we wished it was longer, everything was excellent. The hotel is small and completely new, close to the lake and sorrounded by vineyards. The rooms are well equipped and clean. I stayed in a room in the third floor and the view to the lake is really amazing. The staff was great and the hotel restaurant is also very nice, we have enjoyed the dinner. The hotel also has a small and cute terrace perfect to drink some cocktails after dinner.
I can't say anything bad about the hotel

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Great hotel!

I dealt with this hotel for my wedding, had many people from overseas coming to Switzerland and had everybody stay there. The managers are very nice, the employees are exceptionally kind and helpful, the hotel is classy, and it is in a beautiful location!

Doreen

Room Tip: Worth paying for a South Room!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Great central location with fantastic views of the lake an the mountains on the French side. Large beds were really comfortable and panoramic windows opening on to a third floor balcony made it easy to view the hills from the bed, grab that champagne!

Very small parking area leads to you parking on the street if your late and the road is very, very busy. Windows do block the noise well. Staff were great and the restaurant had a marvelous supply of wines from the Cully region which were good value.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor to get a view of the lake and mountains without the electric wires supplying t...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter C
Reviewed 28 April 2013

new renovated hotel very close at the lake of Geneva, convenient located between Lausanne and Vevey. Good sized rooms, all amenities needed, friendly staff.
Parking directly in front of the hotel (street or covered parking). 10 minutes by foot to additional restaurants or the railway-station, free wifi!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank kzs_travel
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I had rented a car in Genève, so I was pretty flexible on where to stay. I decided to choose this location based on price/reviews [online] and don't regret it. I did pay a little extra to have a lake view and don't regret this either. Rooms are modern and provide most amenities a business traveler is looking for. Free internet and free parking are appreciated (although parking can be limited). I came in early so the latter was no issue for me however [although I witnessed it].

We had a few beers in the hotel [early PM] but decided to go elsewhere for dinner (in a nearby village - Lutry), since there were only 2 people serving a restaurant full of guests. More on this: when approaching one of the [older] servers for a beer at the hotel bar (on our way to dinner, in the hotel), we were told to "wait, because I am busy".

I'm OK to wait, but ... not for 10 minutes for a beer and ... I also would like to be treated as a guest in the hotel, not as an unwanted brother-in-law. I understand the European mentality (I'm European myself), but people must remember they are still in a SERVICE industry.

So, we spent roughly EUR 400 in a nearby fondue restaurant instead [in Lutry - recommended, Google it!]. I had time to research this online, call them, make a reservation, call a taxi, etc... before I had my beer and bill in the hotel. Their loss...

Continuing on the food issue: the breakfast in the morning is NOT worth the CHF18, sorry! I'm not cheap but this breakfast was probably one of the worst I've had in a hotel in Europe ... in a long time [and I travel a lot!]. Very limited choice in what to eat, and (on top of it) the waiter argued with me (tried to convince me) that my hard boiled egg was done, while I was convinced it was not. More on that as well (because it's crazy to me):

I had put the sucker [talking about the egg now] in the boiler and -truthfully- forgot about it. So, 20 minutes later, I took the egg out [embarrassed], expecting it to be completely ruined. Well, ... come to find out it was still RAW (!). It spilled all over my plate. In fact, I was hoping not to great any chicks during the spillage [I'm talking about the animals at this point].

So, when I called this out to the waiter's attention [to adjust the thermostat on the egg boiler, since it was obviously set WAY too low], he argued with me that the temperature was set right and that it must have been my fault. And here I was thinking that the Swiss were neutral?? All I was trying to do is help the poor fellow out, since he obviously had no clue. Apparently, Swiss people have become quite argumentative over the years. First they mess with my beer, now with my eggs ;). Must be Lausanne [and their be their close proximity to France].... :)

Coming back to boiling eggs: I am not an expert, but it's also commonly known that altitude has an effect on the time to prepare an egg. That said; we're at 500m ASL (Above Seal Level); not on top of the K2. So, ... 20 minutes on a high temperature should refrain an egg from being served raw. Even in Switzerland.

All kidding aside (while still being mostly serious): Choose this hotel for its location (lake view is recommended) but not if you're looking for a good meal in a hotel. The staff (check-in) are very friendly and quite accommodating, so I certainly don't want to drag them through the mud. Not a single bad word about them ... they were great!

If this place had a great kitchen, it would get a full 5* from me. To me, it was a toss between a 3* and 4* but the check-in staff made this a 4* (personally). They are very friendly and quite accommodating. If it hadn't been for them, it would have been an average 3* for me.

My honest opinion...

Room Tip: Pay a few bucks extra for a lake view. The higher you are (in floors), the better the view. You...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Perfect match for a long or short stay.
The view on the lake and the mountains is just amazing and the rooms are clean and comfortable in a contemporary-minimalist style. The Manager and the Staff where really friendly and really nice with my dog.
The restaurant of the Hotel has a really good level and the prices are correct.
Dogs are welcome!
We really like this Hotel and we staid 3 months from January to end of March.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2013

We stayed in an apartment in this hotel for five nights in February. We had a bedroom, bathroom, kitchenette-dining area and sitting room/second bedroom. The rooms were comfortable, clean and well equipped. The only problem was the lighting – only a handful of lamps but inadequate wall or ceiling lighting. The hotel itself is not up in the vineyards, as some of the pictures suggest, but is on the main lake road from Lausanne to Montreux, and by the railway line. Our apartment faced the lake and was noisy but we got used to it after a while. Rooms at the back of the hotel have a view of... well, a high wall! Staff were friendly and helpful and were able to give us useful advice for travelling and visiting. In particular, they were able to issue us with travel cards and free rail travel in the region every day (ask for this at reception). Would visit again as it is in such a convenient location and in easy reach of all the sights in western Switzerland.
Note, the location is not accurate on the interactive map – it’s more to the right/east.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank cooneycooney
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cully
Hotel-Restaurant Prealpina
Eurotel Riviera Montreux
Eurotel Riviera Montreux
#4 of 17 in Montreux
Grand Hotel Suisse Majestic

Been to Hotel Lavaux? Share your experiences!