“overpriced”

Price range: US$30 - US$131
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Built on one of the most inviting spots of the Piazza of Ascona, overlooking the vistas of the Swiss Alps and the waterfront of Lago Maggiore, Ristorante Seven reflects much of the region versatility. Catering business lunches and romantic dinners to clientele who enjoy the fun and excitement of exploring new culinary experience born out of love for basic raw substance, the restaurant offers fresh and seasonal ingredients and the rich tastes of Mediterranean cuisine. Our chef brings with his young team a bevy of unique inspirations to the menu, allowing guests to explore creative & traditional combinations: Mediterranean antipasti exalting shellfish-flavors, raw fish and meat, fresh homemade pasta and rainbow of risottos – all prepared a la carte. For lovers of grill, we offer a wide variety of cuts from the best Swiss farms prepared in high temperatures to achieve slightly smoky flavor, ensuring a perfect grilling in Josper oven.
Reviewed 18 June 2014

To start with the good bits - the location is great - at the head of the lake with beautiful views. We sat outside on the veranda and it was a lovely place to have dinner. The decor of the restaurant is very funky and modern. The service was good and very attentive.

The food is actually quite good, but I was disappointed because for the price and concept I expected much more. We chose the 3 course surprise menu and it was just a pared down version of the 5/7 course versions; so didn't feel like a complete meal. It was 2 fish courses and 1 meat course. The fish courses were very tasty and the meat was very good - but odd served with goulash and strawberry!? However, I would have expected a 3 course dinner for £100 per head to have a dessert. They tried to sell us that on top. Instead we went for tea and petit fours which were absolutely disgusting (not sure how it's possible for chocolate and marzipan to be disgusting but this was achieved).

Basically I could go to michelin starred Dabbous in central London for a 7 course tasting menu of truly modern, interesting and amazing food for half the price. This is where my disappointment lies. Seven is ok as a restaurant but I ended up feeling slightly robbed at the end.

1  Thank Carina B

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Food of poor quality and too expensive for what they offer. I got a crudaiola pasta with practically was a tomato salad with same pasta. Fake Italian food and poor service. The only positive point is the location: it is a pity that this restaurant is so wrongly managed!

4  Thank Ninosicilia
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Had a great lunch here and would highly recommend this to anyone who likes fine dining. I had the business lunch and was well priced as well. Service had very good attention to detail.

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Myself and my wife have been looking forward to visiting restaurant 7 for some time.

I must admit we were both quite disappointed, the first dish was fantastic other than that the food was average for the price we paid.

It was good to try once but would only return for drinks :-(

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Very simple: whenever I go for dinner to a restaurant, the Seven in Ascona is our benchmark! We did not find a restaurant that had as good food, nice ambiance and perfect service. A real experience.

1  Thank A W