“Wonderful place to stay.”
Review of Hotel La Perla

Hotel La Perla
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Ascona
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I went on a business trip to the hotel, so I just stayed a couple of nights there.
The room was nice. It had everything I needed. Breakfast and dinner at the hotel's restaurant were really good. Service was excellent. I left my clothes for laundry very late at night, and the next morning I had them at my room! Location is perfect. Just 2 minutes to the Lake.
I really enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 March 2013

I travelled with my husband and 2 children to the area. Hotel La Perla was a great choice since the room we stayed at was very spacious, had a very large balcony and a great view of the lake and mountains. We stayed at the Villa Giuliano which is one of many different villas available. For us, spacious rooms, location and service is very important. It is walking distance to many restaurants, the ferry to the Botanical Garden which can also take you to Italy, and various tourist attractions. Mini-golf, biking and shopping was walking distance as well. The staff was very friendly and gave us advice of what to visit while in the area. I highly recommend Villa Verzasca!

Room Tip: Villa Giuliano is very quiet and has the great views. The downside was that our room did not have ba...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sandra C
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We are accustomed to consider the stay in Switzerland at the top of Europe. But this is not the case. The hotel has no particular defects, but the look is tired. Obviously, the position in the beautiful setting of Lake Maggiore helps to give less importance to these limits of the hotel.
About the value I cannot say anything, because being on a business trip the stay (two nights) was paid by the organization.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Brun066
Reviewed 22 November 2012

We enjoyed our stay in the main hotel and had a balcony with a good view. The staff was very friendly and welcoming, and the rooms were clean. La Perla is just a few minutes away from the pedestrian zone of the town, not too far from the lake promenade. Big breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dechusa
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The main La Perla (we only stayed at the main hotel, but looked at the others) is touchy to find as the entrance is a narrow driveway with enough room for only one vehicle to enter to check-in. The elevator is tiny, and you need to take it upo a floor to check-in. There is no service to speak of for this, or valet parking etc, so be prepared to be mystified as to what to do once you find the place. The rooms are tiny but clean, and austere. Very little is supplied, so you'll need 'stuff' unlike most hotels that provide shampoo etc. They have a soap dispenser in the 'shower-bath', and no face cloths, and only one towel each in a tiny bathroom. For what you get, maybe not where you get it though, the price is outrageous. The included breakfast is Euro-typical. The menu is very pricey, but it is only a couple of blocks (straight downhill) to other restaurants and shops. If you're looking for 'the view' book a hotel further up the hill for sure.

Room Tip: There are 'three' La Perla Hotels in Ascona (all different locations), pick one that suits y...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank worldfishingfreak
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Stayed with my husband and 2 children for two nights. We were a bit late booking our accommodation and most hotels in Ascona were already booked so we sort of just took what was available. It is in a good quiet location. We had a family room in an attic which was really just one large room with four beds. The furniture was very dated, like something my parents would have had as their first furniture in the sixties and all looked really cheaply made too. I noticed the floor wasn't particularly clean either and there were dust bunnies in the corners. The bathroom was really poorly appointed too, no towel racks or hooks so we ended up having the towels all spread out in the room, drying on the beams of the attic. The staff was OK, neither friendly nor unfriendly, didn't really seem all that involved and only one person in the whole hotel spoke English ( which is fine, we can get by with other languages but I just thought it odd). We couldn't judge the quality of the food in the restaurant, on our first night the restaurant was closed ( I guess it is closed on Saturday nights) so we went into town and found a really great place where we went again the second night. Breakfast was fine, perfectly acceptable.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank hanicka
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I looked at the description and the photos of this Hotel on the internet and was impressed so we booked for a few days. I have never been so disappointed. We were given a room in a building which was shared with the staff. The room had no security what so ever, even the lock on the door was faulty. The pool was not in order, the breakfast was very poor, we did not come late to the breakfast but were told there was no cold meats left so we went without, as we paid for this meal [not cheap] we were not pleased. In general the property is run down and needs renovating It does not match its description on the internet ... we complained to the tourist office but heard nothing. I would not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple