“Lovely site....even in a thunder and lightning storm!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tansley
Packhorse Farm Camp Site
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Lovely site....even in a thunder and lightning storm!!”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We've just returned from a 6 night stay at this campsite which we chose after reading reviews on various sites. It was a lovely site with beautifully clean toilets and showers, a practical washing up area and very friendly, helpful owners. It wasn't particularly busy at the start of our stay but towards the end of the week, more families arrived which meant that the 3 shower cubicles in the ladies block were more in demand; that being said, no one is in the shower for hours so there was a quick turnover and we just timed our visits carefully. The fact that there was a "disabled/family" toilet and wet-room was a bonus for us and for lots of families with very small children who used this facility. There was some noise on and off from a nearby kennels and from a nearby road which seemed to channel motorbike noise above everthing else. Neither really bothered us though.
We would definitely return to this site and recommend it to others. We had a pitch with electric hook-up, right next to the toilet block which was nicely screened. It was a great place to stay!
We arrived on a Saturday and for the first time ever, didn't take a meal with us ready for the evening. By the time we'd pitched our tent and set up, it was nearly 6p.m. so we decided to have a bite to eat in nearby Matlock.....what a mistake. There was a very poor choice of restaurants and pubs nearby and not one of them could fit us in. I realise that it was a Saturday but it was relatively early and the place wasn't flooded with holiday makers or visitors at that point. As a last resort, we tried the fish and chip shop but at 7p.m. they were getting ready to shut and had just a few chips, a pie and a single piece of fish left! We ended up back at the camp site eating beans on toast. Lesson learned! Matlock was a real disappointment in a lot of ways but Bakewell was much nicer.....we should have headed there instead.

Room Tip: Anywhere is great, it's a nicely laid out site!
1 Thank chocolocomama

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We only stayed one night on a quick stopover with our dog. The booking procedure was efficient and polite. Signage was better than in most places, telling you where to check in and which way to go, as long as you read it of course. We were given a list of local information eg Drs, taxis, take aways, a map and clear instructions where to pitch.

The pitch was flat well mowed and clean with a picnic table. The toilets/showers were unbelievably clean, in fact I commented to me husband that the smell when you walked in was more like going into a clean house bathroom not a communal toilet area. I note that at 10pm they were being quick cleaned and sundries topped up.

There are areas all over the site neatly hidden behind fences for fire extinguishers rubbish bins BBQ bricks etc. Hedges and trees carve up the site and make it seem more private.

Overall a very pleasant experience, we will use the site again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bridget L
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The positives;

Clean toilets and showers (certainly cleaned daily) hot water available at pot washing points. Nice flat, well maintained camping pitches, many with small hedges planted to provide some privacy and feature to your pitch. Perfect host, easy check in and a great staff.

The negatives;

Read in to the locale with a pinch of salt. The website says 1/2 a mile to the nearest pubs etc. From what I can tell, this is pretty much up and a down a sheer hill, which if you walked would kill (sorry, hurt) the fittest of people. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to do it with my 5 year old in tow. It's a biggish site and the facilities don't match the capacity of the site. At peak times (morning and evenings) you will wait for toilets and shower facilities. There is very little policing of the site rules. For example, it asks for no cricket / football etc, apart from small children with foam balls. We put our 5 year old down to sleep at about 8.30pm (it was a holiday!) but the next pitch insisted on playing football across and outside our tent until nearly 9.30pm. Additionally, it's quite noisy depending on when you stay. Despite the intentions of a curfews for noise etc. Giving the owners the benefit of the doubt, if anything serious happened, I'm sure they'd react. It's also a large site, so very difficult to patrol I'm guessing. It was a slight frustration.

Matlock was 2.5 miles away and a quick 10 minute drive. Matlock Bath (our intended destination) was just a little further than that. Matlock is a well equipped town with everything you would need or expect, which is important, as the campsite doesn't have a shop.

A good stay. We enjoyed it. The lack of a shop and the size of the site would probably prevent us from returning. It wasn't cheap either, £41.00 for the three of us for 2 nights. Little additions, like a secondary toilet block, or somewhere to buy even basic essentials (vending machine?) like milk would have been really useful.

Nothing overly wrong with it, just personal experience and observations.

3 Thank RJohnstone
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This was the first time we had stayed at Packhorse Camp site....but it certainly wont be our last; we loved it; My husband, 2 kids (aged 14 and 11) and our little dog;

Our kids played cricket and footy in a small area - everyone was pleasant and welcoming.

Lovely and clean, perfect pitches, each has there own space; showers hot and clean- plug in toilets for hair strightners; Hairdryers supplied in toilets; Pot washing area with plug to blow up air beds or even a quick charge on your phone; A small freezer is provided to keep ice blocks in; The site even has a BBQ brick station for you to use the bricks and return at the end of use. Susan and her team cover everything;

Susan was so helpful from the first telehne call- pleasnat 'check in' - just an all round lovely place;

Only a couple of miles drive to Matlock Bath for a day out - Tansley was even closer for a pub meal in evening time;

Thanks for a lovely weekend and we will see you soon :)

Mr and Mrs Rimell

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Firstly, I would like to say this is a lovely campsite and we were thrilled when we arrived there. Sadly, the site was let down by its owners who seemed to have a problem with us even before we arrived.

We are a group of six friends who wanted to go away for a enjoyable, yet peaceful weekend camping. We should have had an idea of what we were in for when we made the call to book the site. When explaining we were 3 couples, we were told this is a family site and you can't come here for a "rave". This was the last thing we were planning!

We also asked for 3 pitches (as there were 3 couples), however with one couple from our group only staying the Saturday night, we agreed that instead of taking up a weekend pitch for only one night, we would squeeze the third couple on to the two pitches with us. Despite this, we were still charged full price for three pitches.

On arrival we picked up the receipt as instructed, put our tent up and had an enjoyable Friday night around our camp.

Our enjoyment, however, was ruined on Saturday morning by some woman, presumably one of the owners, who came over to us, without any introduction and proceeded to harangue us because we had parked our car in the wrong spot (we had unintentionally over-pitched).

Apparently, we would have known this if we had had the manners to knock on her door to say we'd arrived (we were only told to pick up the receipt and there was nothing saying we had to knock on the door marked "private" to say we'd arrived).

Anyway, being a novice camper, I had assumed that the pitches were set between the marker posts with the pitch numbers written on them. Instead, as we found out in no uncertain terms, the pitch markers were in the middle of the pitches. This seems illogical to me, as essentially the pitches are not marked out, but as I said I'm a novice camper and I was wrong. Fair enough.

Instead of asking us to move in a reasonable manner, the woman was rude and aggressive from the off. We would have been happy to move, but were subjected to a rant in front of a dozen other campers that was embarrassing and wholly inappropriate.

Without wanting to cause any more of a scene and having realised our mistake, my fiancée, who made the initial booking, offered to move the tent over a little too. Instead of appearing grateful, the woman responded by telling her that she did not like her attitude as she'd said nothing about the tent. I can assure you that the only person with "attitude" was this woman.

Also, when we asked where she wanted us to put the third couple, the response was that she wasn't sure she even wanted our friends to come because of the "trouble" we'd caused and that she'd refund their part of the booking. We declined her kind offer.

Later, a man came down to see us - I presume he was sent to make sure we were behaving ourselves.

We spent two nights on the campsite. On neither night did we make excessive noise, play loud music nor leave a mess. In fact we were just like every other camper on the site, wanting to enjoy our weekend, however, for whatever reason, we were made to feel completely unwelcome.

It has left a bitter taste and we still don't quite believe it happened. The site is fantastic, but because of this woman, we won't go back. I'm sure that will be music to her ears, however, as she wouldn't want us trouble-makers to return anyway.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank Neil_W66
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

What can I say. Felt unwelcome from the first phone call when I enquired about booking pitches for three couples for a weekend to be told 'you can't come here for a rave.' Considering the youngest of us was 26 and the oldest 33 that wasn't quite what we had in mind. Two sets of couples were staying for two nights, one couple for one night. We were asked if we were happy to squeeze onto two pitches as they didn't really want to give away a weekend pitch for one night. We weren't thrilled with the idea, especially as we were charged full price (!!!!!) but whatever, we just wanted a weekend camping together so we agreed to be ripped off.

We turned up on the Friday and picked up the receipt from reception as directed on the telephone, pitched up and opened a few beers. Saturday morning we were accosted by a female who didn't even bother to introduce herself but asked us not to park our car next to the tent as a family were coming 'all the way from Yorkshire to stay for a week' and she felt we had over pitched our tent. When I enquired as to where the pitch extended to and therefore where we should park our car, I appeared to incite all hell to break loose. Apparently I had committed the crime of the century by assuming that the pitch ended at the start of the next pitch. This is evidently a cardinal sin on this campsite - novice campers beware - you should always pitch your tent directly in front of the pitch number, and woe betide you if you make a completely innocent mistake as to where you park your car. You would, apparently, have to be stupid to assume anything else, so I guess I'm stupid then! I was also informed that I should have checked in at reception - which I attempted to, but the twice I visited on Friday evening no one was there. No where on site is it indicated that you should knock on the door clearly marked 'private' to announce your arrival, so I didn't, not imagining this to be a problem. Apparently in failing to take the initiative to knock on the door and intrude on her Friday evening I had acted without common courtesy. Naturally I was grateful to have these flaws pointed out at full volume in front of everyone else on site on what had been a chilled out Saturday morning.

I have NEVER been spoken to so rudely. Naturally I know where to go the next time I need to be insulted and embarrassed in front of total strangers, and here's the fantastic bit - it only costs you £18 a night for the privilege. How soon can I go back?

Room Tip: Make sure you check exactly where your pitch extends to ...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank CharlottePonder
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

A friend recommended Packhorse Farm as he'd heard good reviews - so a group of 8 VW campers booked ourselves in. The owner, Susan could not have been more helpful - she made sure we had a paddock to ourselves and ensured we was all in the same area.
The site itself was very well kept with clean toilets and showers, no litter scattered about and the campsite had a very relaxing feel to it!
Surrounded by countryside, what more can you ask for a retreat from the rat race, a perfect get away!
I would recommend Packhorse Farm without a doubt

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MorkC68
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tansley
Lime Tree Holiday Park
Knotlow Farm B&B
Knotlow Farm B&B
#4 of 39 in Buxton
Longnor Wood Holiday Park

Been to Packhorse Farm Camp Site? Share your experiences!