“Well located”

ibis budget Geneva
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Cointrin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Well, it is an Ibis Budget, so the room is standard: small, two beds, one on top of other, maximum capacity for 3. It was clean, but the towel were extremely thin. The isolation of the shower to the room is not perfect, so it wets the floor, and there is no towel mat provided. The shower is strong, but the temperature varies slightly during bath. Shower gel is provided, but you have to ask for the hairdryer, and it is always taken, so do not count on it. I think they have one or two for all the zillions guests. The hotel provided a free pass to all public transportation in Geneva, and it is reliable, comfortable and is always on time.
Internet is provided for free, a big plus, and I had no problem with speed or signal strength, and my room had a nice view to the mountains.
It is ok front of a bus stop that takes you directly do the main train station (10 min) and 5 min walking to tram stop. It is in front of a big shopping mall, with Fnac and a Migros supermarket.
Geneva is an very expensive city (all Switzerland is expensive), so I think some budget tips won't hurt. The best cost effective breakfast that I found was on this supermarket buying croissants (chocolat ones are great) , yogurt that already that comes with cereal, fruits and juice, all comes to around 5 CHF (swiss francs) per person. For comparison purposes, one croissant on the train station is 3 Chf. I take all of this to eat in the train during my daily journey to some Switzerland small town, as I bought the Swiss Pass (strongly recommended).

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rsarres

Reviewed 21 March 2014

The hotel was ideally located for the Motor Show at Palexpo which was the reason for the visit; only a 25min walk away from the Arena or as we found, a short travel via tram. This was a first time visit for us to Geneva so didn't know what to expect. We booked the hotel through Hotels.com. We found the hotel receptionist English speaking and very helpful and polite. We didn't know what to expect from the hotel really but we should comment on the very high standard of cleanliness. It looked as though the hotel had been very recently refurbished.
The hotel and room was spotless throughout. I should mention that the room was very basic. There were no tea/coffee making facilities which would have been useful. However, I am not complaining as the room was exactly as described. This fullfilled our requirements perfectly in every other way. Also, we had a very nice surprise on arrival to find that free travel tickets had been included for the buses/trams.
The continental breakfast was very good and again set in nice clean surroundings.
We would certainly choose this hotel again when we plan to return next year.

Mr T and Mrs C.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is a very well-located hotel just five stops (5 minutes) on the No.10 bus from Geneva airport. (Make sure you get your free ticket in the airport terminal, because you can't buy one on the bus.) The hotel is just 2 minutes' walk from the bus stop and buses run every 10 minutes starting at 4:55 a.m.

The reception staff were very friendly and efficient. The clean, modern, functional room included fibreglass shower and WC cubicles about the size of an aeroplane toilet. There was a double bed with a further bunk bed and ladder at right-angles above it for a third person, a small desk and flat screen TV - all within an area of around 12 sq.meters! (You'd be hard put to find space on the floor to open 3 large suitcases.) The price included free WiFi in the bedroom but there was no telephone. (Who needs one these days?) We didn't hear any aircraft noise but an occasional noisy motorbike. Unfortunately, we left too early in the morning to sample the breakfast.

The hotel is good if you need a bed for the night close to the airport, but we paid 180 CHF, which is not cheap for basic accommodation. However, nothing is cheap in Switzerland! I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed in Etap Hotel in October 2009 for 9 days. There were ITU Telecom World held in Palexpo. And youths from over 150 countries were sponsored by ITU, UN to attend the youth forum. All representatives stayed in this hotel.

Breakfast was nice. There are a lot of cow miniatures.The elevator is too small to accommodate all of us. Rooms were okay, double bed with bunk on top. Separate toilet. Bathroom is small.

Transports are easy. Near to Balexert and cinema. Very near to airport.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2014

It has been my second stay at the Ibis Budget Geneva Hotel. I have been totally satisfied with the service and the room. The room and common areas were clean and having seen the cleaning personnel at work, I can say that same is done meticulously. This is an excellent hotel for business travel. The rooms are very simple yet cosy and comfortable. The hotel is close to shopping centres and also not so far from the city centre. Transport facilities to the City Centre or to the airport are regular and the bus stops are very close to the hotel. It would be appreciated, however, that the restaurant provides a better choice of meals for dinner.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jerome L
Reviewed 1 February 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This budget ibis, should not be categorized as a "Hotel" because it is not one! The service is dismal and I don't just mean the minimalistic rooms! Its more like a "slightly" upscale hostel of some sort with very poor service. There was no phone in the rooms, and if you need adapters for the electric outlets you have to pay an additional 8CHF. The bathroom doesn't really exist. There is an outhouse style toilet and a makeshift shower area. Watch out if you like to take a shower after a long day! You need to bring your own shampoo or body wash. So, if you come unprepared you are on your own and have to venture out and buy some. One of the staff guys was incredibly unfriendly. All of my questions were met with an arrogant attitude and an unwillingness to help. Just because I decided to stay at a "budget" hotel, as he would repeatedly state, doesn't mean that I forfeited my right to be treated respectfully. It's clear to me that if I ever need to stay in Geneva again, I will stay clear of this place, even if I have to pay a little more. While the price of this IBIS does not fall into the "budget" category, the service definitely is!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank N G
MarcFISCHER, Directeur général at ibis budget Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Sir, thank you for taking the time to write these few words about your stay in our hotel.
We sincerely apologize that you did not have a full satisfaction and be sure we will do the necessary to improve the defects mentioned.
We reiterate our apologies for the problems and hopefully still have the opportunity to welcome you soon in our hotel.
Please accept, Sir, Yours faithfully

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cointrin
Ibis Geneve Aeroport Hotel
Nash Airport Hotel
Nash Airport Hotel
#5 of 6 in Cointrin
Ibis Budget Geneve Palexpo Aeroport
Ibis Budget Geneve Palexpo Aerop...
#2 of 4 in Le Grand Saconnex
NH Geneva Airport
NH Geneva Airport
#2 of 2 in Meyrin
ibis budget Geneve Petit Lancy

Been to ibis budget Geneva? Share your experiences!