“Wow. When they say 'budget'...”
Review of ibis budget Geneva

ibis budget Geneva
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Cointrin
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Wow. When they say 'budget'...”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Okay, first: it's very clean, fairly quiet, and there's plenty of hot water.

But when they say 'budget', they mean furnished as cheaply as possible. They advertise this as a room for 1, 2 or 3 people. That's because there's a double bed under a twin bunk bed (head bumps: 2). And since the shower opens into the room (altho the toilet is tucked into a water closet) you're likely to be naked in front of your room mates, so be sure you're prepared for that.

I have two safety concerns about this hotel:

First, there's neither a peep hole nor a chain on the door. Theoretically, the floors are secured - the elevator won't operate until it has been authorized by a key card. But it's easy enough to slip into the elevator on the ground floor after someone else has used their key card to make the buttons work. It has happened to me a couple of times, and I've been trying to guard against it. The other way to get upstairs is to get in the elevator and simply wait for it to be called up to a floor. I've lost count of the number of times the elevator doors opened on my floor (the top floor) to reveal people who are bewildered about how they got there - they didn't figure out how to make the buttons work and thought they were going to a different floor. My point is that the floors aren't _really_ secure.

My second safety concern is that the floor is linoleum (or something very like it) and there's no bath mat. Add to that the fact that the handle in the shower door is an approx 2" diameter hole, through which water splashes the entire time you're showering and you end up stepping out with wet feet onto a wet floor that started with only minimal traction.

Fortunately, my room was originally booked as a double, so I get two of the nubby, slightly-thicker-than-a-sheet towels. I use the first one to dry my top half before I leave the shower, then throw it down to act as a bath mat and use the other to finish drying once I get out.

You're supposed to hang your towels on the only hook in the room, but I have other uses for that, so I do get fresh towels every day.

The aisle between the wall and the end of the bed is rather narrow, and there's a step up into both the shower and the WC, so folks with mobility issues may want to take note.

This is 10 minutes from the airport by bus (Bus 10, "Aeroport" direction - the stop is on the same side of the street as the hotel). During the day the bus runs about every 7 minutes. It's about 20 minutes from the city center by the same bus (pick up the "Rive" direction across the street in front of Balexert).

Across the street is Balexert, a large mall with (among other things) several restaurants and a very large grocery store (Migros). Most days it closes at 7 p.m. & doesn't open at all on Sunday. It is open late (until 9, I think) on Thursdays.

The hotel offers two levels of Wifi service. I'm too cheap to pay for the upgrade & just use the free service. Unfortunately, something about the way it's set up means that every time my Android phone disconnects from it, I have to restart the phone to reconnect. I'm pretty sure it's the WiFi & not my phone because I've never had this problem with any other WiFi network.

There is a nice terrace behind the hotel, but since you can't actually get there from the Ibis, but must walk through either the restaurant or the (apparently much nicer) sister hotel, I'm not sure it counts.

Finally, I can recommend the restaurant downstairs for dinner, but not for the 12CHF breakfast - you'll do better at the mall across the street for that.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ann C
MarcFISCHER, Assistant Manager at ibis budget Geneva, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Ann,

Thank you for taking the time to write us after your stay at ibis budget Geneve Aeroport.

ibis budget establishments are dedicated to offering you the best possible service for your stays, and your opinion is very important to us. The necessary measures are being taken to bring hotel performance to the level of quality defined in our Quality Charter.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon at one of our hotels.

Nicolas Philippe - Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is opposite a shopping centre and the far side of the shopping centre has tram lines into geneva and to the CERN, and this made the hotel a great base. However, the bed was so hard and the lack of individual air conditioning made it difficult to sleep, particularly when you constantly wake up sweating. The only way I would return is if it is not summer.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Geneva is an expensive city, but the Ibis budget is a great value! We had a room for 3- the layout of the room allowed all 3 of us to fit comfortably in a small space. The reception was very helpful and accommodating. We enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: The bathroom in the 3 person room is a bit ackward for a group of friends- the shower door is transp...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Ibis Hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Let's keep in mind that this is a budget hotel. Our initial booking was made by my daughter, who overlooked that the maximum number of guests allowed per room was 3. She had only booked 1 room. There were 4 of us traveling as a family. We all wanted to stay together, but this was not possible. The manager made an effort to obtain a room for all 4 of us at the Accor Suites hotel next door. The price reduction that was offered was good. I asked the Ibis manager if he would work with us to obtain a similar discount for 2 rooms at the Ibis. He considered this, and agreed to provide us with 2 discounted rooms. The rooms were very clean and the bedding was excellent. Contrary to what another traveler mentions, the window does open, but not all the way, for safety I am sure. The room temperature was good. The reception staff were very friendly and answered all of our questions. We did not eat breakfast there, so I cannot comment on that. We were given Geneva travel cards, which provided free transportation in Geneva, as well as a discount on museum entrance fees. I applaud the management for their flexibility and willingness to work with us to find a rate that would fit our budget. The only downside is the expensive parking. That is not mentioned on the hotel's website. Given what you pay for accommodation, this hotel is a good value. Far less money than other Geneva hotels.

Room Tip: Rooms in upper stories are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cointrin
Ibis Geneve Aeroport Hotel
ibis budget Geneve Petit Lancy
NH Geneva Airport
NH Geneva Airport
#2 of 2 in Meyrin

Been to ibis budget Geneva? Share your experiences!