“Step back in time”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Schwanen

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rapperswil
Hotel Schwanen
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Rapperswil
London, United Kingdom
“Step back in time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This is a strange little hotel that reminded me of the 1980's. It's in a lovely location looking over lake Zurich on a street of little cafes. The room was very basic but quite spacious. Twin beds, which were very hard. With one pillow. So not a good nights sleep. Very few little extras in the room. So only 1 coffee etc despite two people being checked in. Slightly inflexible in service and not as accommodating as they could be. To be honest it's a quaint local hotel, but it is 4 star and it is about 200chf a night so it has to be judged against those two factors. Which it doesn't live up to.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank DevonBinky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Delightfully situated by a lake with mountain views, Hotel Schwanen is quiet, elegant, genteel and relaxing.

My bedroom was spacious and bright, with excellent lighting for relaxation, reading and work - the bed was supremely comfortable - the bathroom well equipped - with outstanding storage facilities and good coffee, a safe and a fridge. The ONLY criticism I can think of is that the room key is the most bizarre test of dexterity and timing; I had to be let into my room by staff at least twice every day because I physically could not grab and twist the handle in the required manner.

Food really good and varied. Business conference facilities excellent. Staff lovely and speak excellent English. Only a couple of minutes walk from the train station for Zurich. In short, the ideal base for a small business conference but equally somewhere I would be delighted to return to for a personal leisure trip.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Cologne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

The Hotel Schwanen occupies a prime lakeside position in a pretty building, recently renovated inside and out. Booking was direct and unfussy and the hotel is pet friendly (at no supplementary charge). The welcome was warm and friendly and accompanied by the offer of a complimentary drink. The rooms are decently proportioned and comprehensively equipped (including free internet access) and those on the front are south facing (and sunny) in addition to enjoying a view over the lake and well sound-proofed to shut out potential tourist noise (the hotel is in the busy restaurant area adjacent to the small Rapperswil port). One minor point of criticism: our room included an electrical control for the beds which, though, we only discovered shortly before departing. In addition, the rooms (non air-conditioned) are equipped with a combined light and ceiling fan - the control for which we failed to discover during our stay. (Some instruction for both on arrival would have been helpful).Secure parking facilities are available in a specially reserved area of a public car park barely 3 minutes by foot from the hotel. The hotel offers a choice of dining - either in the Piano bar (with live piano music) or Le Jardin gourmet restaurant (recommended by the renowned Swiss Gault Millau restaurant guide). Unfortunately, time on this occasion didn't allow us to sample either - but we can hardly wait to make our third visit to this charming lakeside hotel. Viator Coloniae.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lakesdie view.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Viatorcoloniae
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

Dear friends had recommended that we stay at this charming hotel - an interesting mix of old and new worlds - as an alternative to the usual stay in Zurich. This proved to be an excellent choice as we enjoyed the charm of a beautiful and historic town while luxuriating in the comforts of updated rooms decorated in the most interesting way - the staff were super-friendly (except the curiously distracted blonde girl in the bar!) - and the rooms truly were unique and delightful. Anyone visiting Switzerland for sightseeing should consider this as a base and travel to the major cities from here by train is easy and relatively inexpensive.... for Switzerland!!!

Room Tip: Taubeschlag (pigeons' former loft!) was where I stayed on third floor of "old" buildin...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Morgan C
Berkeley, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

We had a horrific experience at this hotel. My husband has suffered from an allergy brought on by pine nuts for many years. We stayed at this hotel for one night and went to dinner at its restaurant. A buffet was offered. To make sure my husband would not eat any pine nuts from any dish at the buffet, we asked the chef himself to come out of the kitchen and point out which dishes my husband could safely eat. We described that he would become very sick if he ate anything that had even been in contact with pine nuts or contained them in minute quantities. My husband then served himself the exact dishes identified by the chef. Two minutes later he became extremely ill.

He obviously ate a full dose of pine nuts since he was sicker than I have seen him in a long time. Very concerned about him I asked whether the hotel had a doctor that could look after him. Two paramedics showed up and spent 10 minutes to make sure he was not in dangerous shock.

In the morning, I found the chef and he point blank refused to apologize, telling me it was our fault that my husband got sick. The hotel manager, infuriatingly, told me that we would have to pay for the medical bill unless we could prove that my husband (1) was actually allergic and (2) had indeed ingested pine nuts at the hotel. He insisted that proof would have to include a medical report and a lab report of the food the restaurant had served us, all of which we would have to pay for. No amount of protest helped. When we returned home, we discovered that the hotel had charged us not just for our stay and my meal, but also for more than $600 for the paramedics. This amount was simply added to our credit card. I have never been treated this way.

Other things were wrong with the room, such as a non-working coffee pot, a dysfunctional bed adjustment mechanism, and a burned-out lamp. The room was also extremely noisy and very expensive. Obviously, none of that mattered compared to what happened to us.

Room Tip: I will never, ever stay there again.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Europefan11111

Travellers are raving about these Rapperswil hotels

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

I got a deluxe room with a balcony overlooking lake Zurich. Absolutely beautiful, although too cold to enjoy it in January. The location is Rapperswil is ideal. The parking situation in the garage sucks and I had problems with it. The employees were very nice and helpful. They fixed my shower head and replaced my broken tassimo...with, unfortunately, a broken tassimo. No big deal. They tried. The beds are hard as a rock.

Very nice hotel, nice location. Would I stay again? No.

Room Tip: Balcony :-)
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank tannershamrock
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

Worst trying on a cloudy Sunday morning! Do not miss it

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank TheZoggs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rapperswil
Sorell Hotel Speer
#1 of 2 in Pfaeffikon
Hotel Gasthof Metzg
Hotel Gasthof Metzg
#2 of 2 in Stafa

Been to Hotel Schwanen? Share your experiences!