“Drinks only...”

Ranked #8 of 12 Restaurants in Wildhaus
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stopped by once again for drinks only. It was around 2pm on Saturday afternoon and the cold weather paired with the dense fog left us no option but to find respite indoors.

The young blond waitress was friendly enough and catered to us well. I had a couple of beers while people in my group had cappuccinos.

All was fine.

But to be honest, this is not a place where I'd ever eat lunch or dinner as my partner already had a less than average meal here and my favorite in Wildhaus is already the Alpstein. Why do we stop here? Because it's got a nice chalet feel to it and I enjoy having a few pints here.

This place's breakfast menu looks ok as it offers fried eggs with bacon, ham, etc.. so this might be an option. Mind you, we own a place in Wildhaus so breakfast is normally had at our own place.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We have never waited so long for food to arrive (90 minutes). The dishes were mostly mediocre - either overcooked, unseasoned or not as described. The service was stressed out and unable to handle the delays and the complaints at various tables. The problems trace back to the restaurant having 200 seats and a large menu, but only three cooks.

When we demanded to speak to management, one of the waitresses outed herself as co-owner Simone Walt, the daughter of the family that has been running the hotel and restaurant for decades. While she agreed to reduce our bill, she generally acted in a snippy and insulting manner. For example, she blamed us for not having made a reservation and said that she only allowed us into the restaurant "out of courtesy". I have never experienced such rude treatment. Grandfather Walt must be turning in his grave.

Clearly, Simone Walt does not have gastronomy training. She does not speak English and was hardly able to communicate with an American couple at the next table (they left some cash and disappeared after their complaint was not taken seriously).

While the restaurant was a bad experience, the hotel was clean, quiet, friendly and good value (if you know how to outsmart the receptionist.. see separate review).

Reviewed 22 February 2013

We stayed in The Hirschen Hotel with Friends for a short ski holiday in February 2013. Hotel was very nice, some rooms a bit dated but very comfortable. Quite quiet when we were there which was a bonus !

Kids loved the bowling alley and swimming pool and staff very freindly and helpful (even with four kids running around !). Hotel restaurant was nice, food good but service quite slow (but not a problem as very relaxing atmosphere). Great location with free bus collection outside hotel to ski lift only 2 minutes.

Wildhaus is small and very pretty but skiing is excellent and extensive for all levels as multiple lifts and cable cars go to two nearby villages. Facilities very, very good and we will be returning.

Only downside is how expensive everything is but this goes with the territory when skiing ! However, Wildhaus and the Toggenburg area is worth the money.

Reviewed 1 January 2013

Our New Year's Eve dinner at the Hirschen was a little disappointing, mainly because of the poor level of service. We were one of the first to be seated but had to wait over two and a half hours for the main course. The restaurant was busy but not completely booked. Waiter attendance was friendly but changed often or was not present at all. We had to replenish our glasses ourselves and nobody asked us for the cooking level of the filet. The food was good but not overwhelming.
My overall rating of this restaurant is between 2 and 3 stars. I was glad we had such good company at the table.

Reviewed 29 December 2012 via mobile

We only stopped by for a couple of drinks. It was cold out and it being only 16:00 we thought we'd get a few beers. The place is attractive enough in an old school chalet style. Apparently they have a lounge & bar as well but none of the elderly waitresses informed us. I only realized when I went to the loo.

Nevertheless, the waitress was friendly yet aloof. They were busy setting up for dinner as Swiss eat as children do,at 6pm.

I never ate here but my partner did. She & her mum had the daily menu. For a person like her who has absolutely no idea about food, she found her food bland and uninteresting.

I am so happy with the Hotel Sonne restaurant 20 metres up the road that I don't want to risk a bad meal at Hirschen. I'm sure I will some day, just not yet...