“Good food and perfect coffee” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of O'Gradys Gastro Bar and Grill - CLOSED

O'Gradys Gastro Bar and Grill
Price range: US$8 - US$39
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The concept for Gastro is an affordable and professional dining experience using fresh ingredients delivered daily on all our menus while creating a relaxed atmosphere in which our customers can enjoy their meal whatever the occasion may be.The menu whether it’s our lunch or dinner menu, our wine menu or cocktail menu or it’s that special menu that you have chosen for your party or event, they will always be treated by the team here with the highest standards to ensure that our aim of quality, consistency and affordability are met.Gastro serves food from Monday to Sunday from 12 – 9pm and up to 10pm on Friday and Saturday. With its open plan design and location the restaurant can cater for any party or occasion whether its 2 people or 200 guests Gastro is a great restaurant or venue whatever needs you might require. Our dining experience boasts maximum taste with minimum fuss. Gluten Free Dining Options available.
Carlow, Ireland
“Good food and perfect coffee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

First of all I wanted to say that you can get a great coffee out there. I am very fussy for this drink in more because I got used to some type of coffee in ITALY and it is very difficult for me to find a good place to taste in. But I can say that in O'Gradys Gastro I drink it and I like it very much. Congratulations!
Second: I have eaten there several Times different dishes and they were good,taste and made how I like.
Service is fast and very friendly.
I do write these things not only as a customer but I did work in different places like this as well so I am very detalic about different things.
Like and will like this place. :)

A TripAdvisor Member
“exciting and original food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Excellent food and friendly service.I had dinner on a Sunday evening.the place looked pleasant and the staff welcoming and friendly.It was not busy.The menu looked exiting and we ordered a few starters.They were very well presented and the flavours were amazing.Exciting and original,a carnival of tastes.I would highly recommend it.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
County Wicklow, Ireland
“Disappointing birthday lunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

We had read good reviews of O'Grady's Gastro Bar and Grill and were looking forward to an interesting lunch. On arrival at 12.45 we were the only people there but it did fill up a little later. We were quite shocked that the waiting staff were engaged in cleaning the windows and sweeping the floor about three feet away from our table and carried on doing so for the first ten minutes that we were there, although they did pause to give us the menu. The menu, although scant, looked interesting and we ordered fish chowder and belly pork starters and then the pan fried cod and burger main dishes.
The chowder looked nice and contained a generous quantity of fish, including salmon, white fish and smoked fish, although sadly no shellfish. It was served with good brown bread and had a nice background flavour but this was spoilt by very heavy seasoning, especially black pepper. The belly pork was pleasant enough, a good sized cube, but the skin was not crispy at all and the apple fritter it was served with was undercooked and surprisingly tasted of very little. A small amount of sauce was nondescript and a carrot (?) crisp had the texture of rubber. The fried cod main course was a major disappointment. It was served with fried half potatoes in their skins, overpowering pieces of bacon and overcooked spinach.These all sat in a pool of unappetizing oil and the fish was on top of this. The fish itself was good, obviously good quality, although the skin was not crisp. However the overwhelming amount of oil on the plate really spoilt this potentially great dish. The burger was meaty but a little dry and again had a massive dose of black pepper .
The food here is well conceived but I am afraid on this occasion very badly executed. When I complained to the foreign waitress about the fish dish she contradicted me, saying it was cooked to order, although the Irish girl realized what I meant and did say she would pass my comments on to the chef. We are in the catering trade ourselves and believe very firmly in the value of listening to the customer and giving due consideration to their feedback. A pleasant manner goes a long way in appeasing a customer who feels he has cause for complaint. We very rarely give poor reviews but this chef really needs to think more about his presentation and seasoning of good quality food that is not cheap.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RestaurantHobbyist
Kilkenny, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“LOVELY!!!! and this is TRUTH”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I read a comment before me and I just don't believe it! How can you give review "poor" for the fact that the price of the drink was too high for you. I was in this restaurant many times. I also ordered a "miwadi" and I paid for a dash of this drink 0.50 cent ... this is very STRANGE, isn't it? :/
When they opened this restaurant, I agree it was not the best here. But about a year a lot has changed. I know, because almost every day I eat lunch here. In addition to this a few times I was here for dinner with my husband, or a large group of friends. Always we left happy. The food is different than in all restaurants in Carlow, service always friendly, helpful and with a smile. This place is surprising, and I like it.
Therefore, it seems to me that the comment "poor" for the price "dash of miwadi" is out of place!

1 Thank LauraSh123
hotelgirl32
“Disgraceful!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Visited here recently, the food is good but when I asked for the bill I was disgusted to see that I was charges €2.00 for a dash of miwadi for my two children this is a disgrace !! I think €.30 would be fair but this is way out if order !!!!! I won't be returning here to be ripped off!

1 Thank hotelgirl32