Woodford Dolmen Hotel
Talbot Hotel Carlow(Carlow)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$112
US$150
US$142
Agoda.com
US$117
The Lord Bagenal Inn(Leighlinbridge)
US$157
Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort(Tullow)(Great Value!)
US$295
US$286
US$204
US$189
Lyrath Estate(Kilkenny)
US$289
US$260
  • Pool
All reviewsfairy gardencarlow townmany occasionson arrivalfamily weddinghighly recommend this hotelsteakwedding receptionstaff were very friendlylovely hotelcouldn't faultfunction roomnext morningevery member of staffkeep up the good workwell worth a visitrestaurant staff
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Have stayed in The Dolmen on many occasions & you are always met at reception with a friendly welcome. Staff are very helpful & friendly throughout the hotel. It's location is ideal only a short 5 minute drive in to the heart of Carlow for shopping etc.. Food in the hotel is gorgeous whether you are in the restaurant or at a function. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank JennyHQ
DolmenManager, General Manager at Woodford Dolmen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear JennyHQ
It's lovely for us to read your comments of you're experiences in staying with ourselves here at Dolmen Hotel & for your acknowledgment of the quality of our staff & food. By way of thanks I will be passing on your comments to our reception & kitchen teams as they appreciate seeing these & it helps to instill the importance of their roles in our guests satisfaction.
Thank you for your regular business with us & we look forward to welcoming you back to Dolmen Hotel again soon.
Regards
Colin Duggan - General Manager.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Four of us stayed for one night. It was a party night with four course meal, live band till12 then DJ till 2am and bed and breakfast. We got the deal for €99 per couple (unbelievable bargain). Decor is a little bit dated but rooms are very clean and spacious. The food was really good (Turkey and ham or salmon both lovely). Staff are really nice and we had a great night. Definitely coming back and we'll be bringing more friends the next time.

Hi Shazzer386
Just reading your lovely comment here after your stay with us for the January Blues Buster party night. I'm delighted you all enjoyed yourself & we'd love to have you come back again with more friends next time.
For both our Christmas & January party nights we find that we get a lot of the same people coming back each year & doing as you say & bringing more & more friends along for the great value & great night out so I look forward to hearing from you & welcoming your group back.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My Husband & I stayed at The Dolmen Hotel last night.We arrived yesterday & were greeted by the most nicest friendly staff that we have ever met.This hotel is gorgeous...This hotel has character.We were attending the party night & this was a night to remember-The food was just divine,so fresh & so tasty.Also,our breakfast was so tasty & once again-so fresh.The staff were beyond excellence.I cannot understand why this hotel is only rated at a 3*** Without doubt this hotel should be a good 4.5* As for the staff...10+*
(Since I'm being so honest I might as well say...I'd only one small fault-We stayed in room 201,A noisy spot-Got no sleep at all :( However, this would not defer me from returning to this Superb Hotel...This Hotel is so worth a visit) Also,I can't believe the wedding deal they are doing at the moment-100 guests,wedding car,dj & other perks...E4,000.This Beautiful setting would make your wedding day extra special...Pity I'm married!!!

Room Tip: You won't be disappointed with this hotel!
1  Thank Estelle N

Dear Estelle,
Thank you for your glowing review of your stay with us for our January Blues Buster party night. I am delighted to read you enjoyed both the party night & your hotel stay in general. Your comment about rating our staff as 10star is very much appreciated as we know our friendly & helpful staff are one of our biggest assets.
Your right that we are a 3star rating at the moment but this is mainly due to the fact that the decor in some of our bedrooms needs updating & I'm very happy to say that we are currently undergoing a refurbishment programme within the hotel which will see us upgraded to a 4 star rating over the coming year or so.
Our wedding packages are unbeatable value alright & these along with our scenic setting & beautiful views of the surrounding natural countryside have made us one of the top wedding venues in the South East. We also go great special wedding anniversary celebration deals so maybe you could take advantage of this instead :)
Thanks again for your excellent review & high recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Booked a one night package which included tickets to see Brendan Grace.Check in was very quick and staff very friendly and efficent. Our room was good size clean and met our needs. The show was excellent. We enjoyed a very good breakfast. The only complaint i had was with the evening meal while there was a good choice on offer i chose the roast beef which was disappointing i mentioned this to our waitress she immediatley offered to get me something else i declined the offer, my husband had the salmon which he really enjoyed. On checkout we were given a discount on our stay to acknowledge the problem with my meal the staff member thanked me for bringing my complaint to their attention. I have to say all the staff we met were very friendly and helpfull. I hope to return to The Dolmen Hotel very soon. Tip if travelling on M9 take exit 6 (as this will leave you just a few minuets drive from the hotel) and not exit 5 as advised on the AA route planner. I will definitly be recommending The Dolmen to family & friends.

Room Tip: Ask for room at back of hotel

Hi Mary M,
Thank you for taking the time to comment here on your stay with us for the Brendan Grace concert & for your lovely comments on our rooms & staff. Im delighted to see you plan to return to us & thank you for your 5 star recommendation to future guests.
Im sorry to read your comment about your maincourse but I'd glad to see that our staff member was able to resolve this for you.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Dolmen Hotel again soon

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I found the Dolmen to be only ok to poor. However some points i have to elaborate on
We were at a wedding. Upon arrival the front bar was charging almost 5 euro for a pint of lager. It wasnt cheap, but thats ok. When we moved into the functino room, the cost was still almost 5 euro. However at some stage during the night, it changed to 5.10. I flat out refused to pay this, and instead went out to the front bar that continued to keep the same price. First i believe that this is not allowed, you must display your prices and keep to them. Second, its just greedy and underhanded. Its not like people werent going to spend money.

The food was ok, no better than a bar carvery. The rolls for the soup were rock hard, but not over cooked as all were pale white!

Breakfast the next morning was good

Overall, it wouldnt be my choice for a venue

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
DolmenManager, General Manager at Woodford Dolmen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Hi J_Carlow.
Thanks for taking the time to feed back to us on the wedding you attended here with us.
I'd just like to respond to your points on our bar pricing. Price differential between hotel bar & function room bar is normal & standard practice in the industry. Cost's are more expensive for function bars due to higher staffing & service levels & in particular bar extension fees & we include the bar extension complimentary within all of our wedding packages.
I'm surprised to read your comment about the bread rolls as we are one of the leading wedding venues in the South East & as you'll see from many other guest comments on this site, our wedding food regularly receives glowing reviews from past guests, however I will pass your comments back to our chef.
Thanks again for your feedback,