Woodford Dolmen Hotel
US$159
US$147
Agoda.com
US$123
Talbot Hotel Carlow(Carlow)(Great Value!)
US$183
US$165
Travelocity
US$162
The Lord Bagenal Inn(Leighlinbridge)
US$141
US$286
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsfairy gardencarlow townmany occasionson arrivalfamily weddinghighly recommend this hotelsteakwedding receptionstaff were very friendlylovely hotelcouldn't faultfunction roomnext morningevery member of staffkeep up the good workwell worth a visitrestaurant staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We always feel compelled to write a review when we receive exceptional 1st class service that is genuine and true. Every aspect of our stay was wonderful so much so that we cannot overlook any aspect.

Having booked a last minute DB&B package at a very reasonable price, we didn't set our expectations high as we just wanted to get away, relax, enjoy some nice food and have a few drinks. On arrival on Sat evening, we were greeted by a lovely receptionist who was courteous, friendly and welcoming. There was a gentleman present, who may have been the manager and he was equally as welcoming. We were given a lovely cosy room on the 2nd floor. The hotel seems to have been decorated recently and while the style has some modern touches, the old style charm seems to have remained and we loved the wood and colour scheme. This is certainly a hotel with character.

The dinner service was perfect. Each staff member was wonderful and each table received a consistent friendly service as we could hear the waitresses interacting with the customers. The food really surprised us and each course was beautiful. My husband had the steak, I had the chicken and both plates were cleared which is self explanatory! The warm apple pie was divine. There was entertainment in the bar after dinner, just a pity that we couldn't find two seats free.

Breakfast was fantastic, we were served by a lovely lady at the hot food counter, followed by an extremely friendly waiter in a purple shirt at our table. It's a pity that the staff members don't wear name badges as it would have made it easier for me to thank the staff by name here. They really do deserve the recognition and are a credit to the management/hotel.

We have now added the Dolmen Hotel to our small list of hotels that have stood out from the rest. Every aspect of our stay was remarkable and we will be regular visitors from now on. Thank you for making our stay so enjoyable and we look forward to returning very soon.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SenseiDublin
DolmenManager, General Manager at Woodford Dolmen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Hi SenseiDublin,

Many thanks for your 5* review. It is with great pleasure and pride that I read a review like yours and I am delighted to see that the Woodford Dolmen Hotel will now become one of your regular visiting destinations. You are correct, the hotel is undergoing a substantial amount of refurbishments at the moment and if you would like to see the full extent of this, do not hesitate to make yourself known to me on your next visit and I will give you the guided tour!
Name badges with our new hotel logo are currently being designed so all our staff should be easily recognisable on your return!

I will forward your compliments to all relevant departments & I look forward to welcoming you back to the Woodford Dolmen Hotel.

Colin Duggan-General Manager

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Myself and my husband had the pleasure of stopping off in the woodford dolmen hotel last night while we were passing threw Carlow. Lovely clean hotel and staff is very friendly. We had the pleasure of being served by Melissa who is the most friendly and helpful waitress we have both ever being served by.. Food was excellent will definitely be back and will reccomend to friends and family.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michael B

Hi Michael B

Thanks a million for your 5* review, we really appreciate when customers take the time to let other's know about their experience here at the Woodford Dolmen Hotel. I was so pleased to read that you both had such a pleasant time and were lucky enough to be served by Melissa- she's a gem alright!
It's great to hear that you'll recommend the Woodford Dolmen to family and friend and I will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here 2/3 times now, the service is great, the facilities are very good. Lovely area to enjoy a walk around the grounds. The food is very tasty and wholesome. The rooms are to a decent level of decor. The bed was very comfortable and I really did have a great nights sleep. Free wifi in some rooms so if you want it make sure to ask.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Steve K

Hi Steve K

Thanks a million for your 5* review & your returning business. We love to see familiar faces returning here to the Woodford Dolmen Hotel as it offers us the opportunity to get to know our customers a little better. I am delighted to read that you had a 'great stay' and I am particularly pleased that you had such a great nights sleep as 93% of our beds have recently received new mattresses!

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon,

Colin Duggan-General Manager

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The new look Woodford Dolmen is great especially the Dining Area which has new seating arrangements and new upholstered seats. Food is always good and staff are friendly. The new owners have updated staff uniform to a purple shirt which gives a modern look.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mcduggan60
DolmenManager, General Manager at Woodford Dolmen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Hello mcduggan60

Thanks a million for your review... we really appreciate when our guests take the time to tell us about their experience at the Woodford Dolmen Hotel. I am delighted to read that you like our new Plum Tree Restaurant- we think it's great too!!

I hope that we can welcome you back to the Woodford Dolmen Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Just stayed at the Woodford dolmen hotel, and was pleasantly surprised. As a frequent traveller using lots of hotels around the country, its a joy when you come across a wonderful hotel like this. They upgraded us, and the rooms were amazing, everything you could want, particularly, to do some work. Had food in the restaurant too, and was blown away with the quality of the fair. Full marks there. Thanks to Melissa, who is a credit to the hotel, warm, friendly and very helpful. For once, I have nothing to criticise. I would totally recommend this hotel. Well done

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank einstein2361

Hi einstein2361

Thanks a million for your 5* review and for taking the time out to let other's know about your 'fantastic experience' here at the Woodford Dolmen Hotel. I am very pleased to read that your overall stay was to your liking and I will make sure to complement Melissa on your behalf.

Thanks again and looking forward to welcoming you back to the Woodford Dolmen Hotel again soon.