“"should be a lot better"”

Talbot Hotel Carlow
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Carlow
Reviewed 30 July 2008

my family and i just returned from the talbot hotel'after reading recent reviews on this hotel i was not expecting much.i booked 5 months in advance as the reviews were good then.we were there midweek so we missed the entertainment on the fri and sat.the food in both bar and restaurant is very average but my real gripe with this hotel is the rooms no air/con the heat in the room would knock you out day and night.a few little things that i noticed in other 4 star hotels were comp bottled water and FACECLOTHS in bathroom this hotel does not supply either.this is a very average hotel not worthey of its 4 star rating.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank dubfish

Reviewed 23 June 2008

My daughter and I stayed in the Talbot Carlow for a weekend break. We thought we would enjoy a peaceful and relaxing break from Dublin city..we could not have been more wrong!! We checked in at 3:20pm on the Friday evening without problems and went up to our room on the fourth floor.
As you do in most hotels, you check and have a look around the room as soon as you get into it. My daughter sat on her bed and pull back the covers to reveal soiled sheets..by soiled i mean, with human waste!! We looked at each other in complete horror. I immediately rang reception and spoke to the receptionist, Sinead, who apologised and said the problem would be rectified straight away. However, 30 minutes later a chamber maid arrived carrying two clean sheets only. I then requested that both beds be completely remade, to discover that when stripped, there were no mattress protectors on the beds..another call to reception was made. Finally beds were clean!!
I then made a trip to reception and Barry did offer to change rooms but i declined as i was unsure if another room would be as dirty!!
A few other things to look out for..although this is a new hotel, fittings and fixtures seemed a bit shabby and generally grubby..the whole place needs a thorough clean!! Staff are generally unfriendly and rude..they whip plates away from you as soon as you put down your cutlery. We also found a hair in our food at breakfast..manager did not apologise and seemed unconerned.
Also...WATCH OUT FOR HEN PARTIES!!! There were at least two seperate parties going on over the weekend...cue shouting, drinking and all that goes with it!! When we were leaving hotel..a group of women from one of the parties were hanging out the windows at the front of the hotel, roaring across to each other!!
On check out i voiced my opinions to Bart the duty manager and he gave me a discount off the bill woopee!! I would expect a free stay given the standards we encountered..they have a lot to learn from their sister hotel in wexford...DONT STAY HERE!!

Stayed: June 2008
5  Thank kilkenylady
Reviewed 16 June 2008

Hi First off i'm a travel agent and deal with hotels everyday of the week. I booked the talbot for my hen weekend for 1 night stay evening meal bed and breakfast. I had paid in advnace for 10 rooms for 20 people. On the Wed/Thur before we arrived I rang the hotel to see if I could have one girl who was travelling from Dublin to have us all checked in to avoid a the hassel of 20 women checking in all to gether when we arrived. (We were leaving from Limerick) I was told this was not possible as each room had to be secured by a credit card. I was advise that if i emailed the rooming list they would have all the keys ready and no time would be wasted. Now the fun starts after paying for 10 rooms they only wanted to give me 9 and when I confronted the the woman dealing with my guest she said I han't contacted her since the 30th of May. This was a big lie. As I spoke to her on the Wed/Thur of the same week. I had a photgrapher booked for 6 o clock and all this mess made me run late. I came down stairs at 6.10 and asked the woman to ring all my rooms to say the photograpehr was waiting. she snaped at me and said " I've rang them 2 hours ago and there all messing on the phones" treating me like a teenager and someone she could talk down to. Lucky enough I was able to correct her and said that wasn't possible as we were at that stage only in the hotel 40 mins. so her 2 hour statement was another lie. The amonut of hassel just to check in left me with an extra 30 euro bill for making my photgapher late. Oh here comes the laugh. Now the rooms are lovely and I couldn't complain about them, spotless and very fresh and new. In My room was an amazing Bunch of flowers with a hugh Box of milk tray, with a note saying from the hotel. I rang reception and thanked them saying it was very kind. the woman agian said no problem and enjoy my stay. It wasn't untill later in the night That I realised that my Best friend had ordered and paid for the flowers and choclates and the hotel never bothered to write her name nor did they correct me when I thanked them for them,.
Saying all that the restaurant & bar staff were amazing. the food was first class. the room service for breakfast was pipping hot and I really enjoyed Carlow.

Stayed: June 2008
3  Thank MrsReidy
Reviewed 16 April 2008

I booked early in Feb 2 connecting rooms for the weekend for myself and my sister (a twin room) and a single for my disabled sister who is confined to a wheelchair 99% of the time. On arrival I was told there were no connecting rooms available and was offered a room on the 2nd floor and another on the 3rd floor. When I said this was not acceptable they did get me 2 rooms on the same floor. We ate in the bar on Fri night, the food was good but the bar was full of children (both nights) even at 12-30am when we were going to bed! I did question this the next morning and was told children had to be out by 9pm! We had a lovely big room which was beautifully decorated to the front of the hotel but the problem is there is a smoking shelter (with tables and chairs and heat) on the ground floor and we were kept awake by the smokers talking out loud and singing until the early hours of the morning. We (and half the other guests) were kept awake all of Sat night by a group of girls that were on a hen party. Their conduct was disgraceful and the duty manager was obviously not able to control the situation. 4 times we contacted him during the night but to no avail. We ate in the dining room on Sat night and it was beautiful and the staff were very friendly and efficient. What a shame the night duty manager wasn't as good!
Definitely would not stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank HollyAthlone
Reviewed 25 March 2008

I'm currently sitting in the lobby of this hotel having checked in 30mins ago - already I'm thinking of checking out and finding an alternative! I stay in approx 2 hotels per week all over Ireland as part of my job and I have to say this is by far the worst. Everywhere is full of screaming kids - in particular upstairs above the lobby they were running around screaming at the top of their voices - I saw that the front office manager at reception did not look happy about it and mentioned it to one of her staff, but nothing happened and they stayed liked this for 15mins before their parents arrived to take them home.
The reason I'm sitting in the lobby is because when I arrived at my room the beds were turned outwards and the floor was disgraceful - covered in cigarette butts, wrappers and dirt. I've been waiting for them to clean it up. I said I'd stay in my room to do some work on my laptop but was told the bar was nice and quite - it's also full of load kids (I like kids by the way just in case you think I don't!), hence I'm in the lobby now 30mins waiting for the room to be cleaned.
I was told I could have a free drink this evening as an apology! - ha
I will stay in Kilkenny in future - teachers conference is on during this week so had no option but to go with Carlow as all hotels in Kilkenny are booked out.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Odubhda
Reviewed 25 March 2008

Myself and the family stayed here over the Easter Weekend and I have to say it was very nice for a modern hotel. Really good for family breaks as they had a nice pool and the Dome was right next door for bowling and stuff for kids. Really good tasty food was served in both the bar and the restaurant and I'm really fussy about food. It was very clean aswell. Just 5 mins away from Carlow Town by car and I was very surprised as the amount of shops now in Carlow. The staff were very friendly and I'm happy to report this must be the first hotel that got our bill correct. Usually when you put room service on your bill there is always some sort of mix up but not in this hotel. I simply can't fault it and anyone who does has to be a moan!!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2007

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank C200
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlow
Woodford Dolmen Hotel
Dinn Ri Hotel
Dinn Ri Hotel
#4 of 5 in Carlow
Clanard Court Hotel

Been to Talbot Hotel Carlow? Share your experiences!