“Very pleasant stay”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Carlow
“Very pleasant stay”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I'm just home from a 2 night stay in the Talbot hotel. Was staying there with my family and my 2 brother's families,12 people in total. All 12 us had a brilliant time.the staff were very courtious and helpful. We stayed on a 2 night deal with 2 breakfasts and 1 evening meal included. Facilities were very good and the kids all enjoyed the kids club and free game of bowling in the play centre located next to the hotel.all the guys in the resustrant and bar were very nice and helpful especially Sharon and robyn in the bar. Big thank you to Hazel at reception for looking after my son, after he wandered off while I was changing after a swim in the on site leisure centre. The only thing I can say is that the weather was quite hot and the hotel room was very hot upon arrival. We couldn't get a fan till the next day.Other than that, we all more than enjoyed our stay and will definitely return again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
TalbotManager, General Manager at Talbot Hotel Carlow, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Anthony,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and post a review of your recent short stay with us here at the Talbot Hotel Carlow.

I was delighted to read that you and your extended family all had such a wonderful time . It will be my pleasure to pass on your kind words to Sharon, Robyn and Hazel. We hope that its not too long before you have the chance to visit again.

Warm Regards

Talbot Hotel Carlow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Greek first
ireland
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I booked a getaway break for 2 adults and 2 kids here for €149 b&b. The hotel is lovely. The weather was extremely hot, we got to our room. Check in was at 4 on the dot, anyways. We got to our room and we were met with a blast of heat!! Went to open the window and it only opened a little crack. . Rang down to ask for fans, there were no fans available. The room was stifling hot, so I put the kids in a cool bath. And of course no towels. Had to ring down twice to get towels And I only got 2 so had to ask for more. Went to the bar for dinner and the heat there too was crazy. We all sweated uncomfortably through our dinner. As there was no fans we had to go buy our own for €30. Kids didn't get to sleep til midnight and were in and out of the cold bath. Called the manager and spoke to him about the heat. He did apologise. We finally went to sleep and I woke at 4am and the heating was on. ..... The rad was off but the rad was hot.. This was totally unacceptable. I didn't sleep anymore that night. Went to reception the next day and checked out. . Ask for a full refund and this was accepted. High tailed it out there with 2 very hot cranky kids.. I would have accepted a refund for the night we didn't stay but the heating on during the middle of the night wasn't acceptable. Staff are very nice throughout. Maybe management should buy more fans and upgrade the air con. And turn off the heating at night.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post a review of your recent short stay with us here at the Talbot Hotel Carlow.

It was with huge disappointment that I read that your stay was less than comfortable and please allow me to apologise again for any upset and inconvenience caused. We did discover a faulty timer switch that caused the radiator in the room to come on during the night and thankfully we got this rectified on discovery of the problem. I was delighted to read your comments in relation to the staff and we have doubled our stock of fans in the event that we have a repeat of the extreme weather in the future.

Thank you once again for your time in writing and I hope that we will have a further opportunity to look after you here at the Talbot Carlow.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We have just come back from a superb 5 day break with Majestic Tours (20/07/14 - 24/07/14). This was our first visit to Ireland and we can only say a big thank you to everyone in the hotel for such an excellent stay. The service, cleanliness, quality of food and helpfulness of staff was first class. Ireland has the most friendliest people I have ever met and we look forward to visiting the hotel and Ireland again. Many thanks for making our trip a very memorable one and for all the right reasons.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
TalbotManager, General Manager at Talbot Hotel Carlow, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear David,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and post a review of your recent stay with here at the Talbot Hotel Carlow.

I was thrilled to read your comments and thank you so much for your kind words. It was our pleasure looking after you and the rest of your tour group and it gives everyone here at the hotel huge satisfaction when we know our guests have such a wonderful time.

I hope that you will be in a position to return to Ireland and the Talbot Carlow very soon. Thank you once again and best wishes.

Clare Island, Ireland
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Reasonably priced hotel. Drink was quite expensive. When we arrived we weren't on the system n had to wait as our room wasnt ready even tho we had booked the lady dealt with it. On our 2nd day we had to ring down for fresh towels. Hotel very noisy they had us in a adjoining room n u could hear everything from next room.was woken up on both nights With noise. Restaurant was bit disappointing. Menu very small n average nothing great. Wont be returning.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and post a review on your recent short stay with us here at the Talbot Hotel Carlow.

It was with great disappointment that I read your comments and I apologise if any inconvenience caused to you during your stay. If it had of been brought to our attention that the guests in the adjoining room were a little loud, I am sure we could have resolved this for you at the time. We receive a huge amount of positive feedback regarding both the variety and quality of food in our Liberty Tree restaurant and as such was surprised by your comments. I will speak with my Chef and the rest of the Management team regarding this, and to ensure that we are consistently providing top quality choices on our menu. Our drinks prices remain extremely competitive and are in fact significantly lower than some of our local competitors.

I was very sorry to read that you say you would not return and I would hope that at some point in the future you may reconsider and give us the opportunity to restore your faith. Thank you again for your honest feedback and the time you have taken to post the review.

Warm Regards,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My self and my partner had a weekend break in this hotel. It was a lovely quiet stay, our room was clean the service was excellent. From the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out. There was a very helpful young man in the bar he recommended lovely food on the menus both nights along with a lovely manager who had done a pub quiz the first night we stayed. The receptionist were very very friendly and helped us with quicker cheaper transport home. I would definitely stay here again. The Jacuzzi and swimming pool were perfect and so relaxing, also a kiddies pool which we will bring our child the next time we stay here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
TalbotManager, General Manager at Talbot Hotel Carlow, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to look after you and I know that I can speak on behalf of the entire team here at the hotel when I say a huge thank you for your kind words.

We hope to have the opportunity in looking after you again very soon.

Warm Regards

Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely time. The kids loved the kids club. Food was excellent.beds was so comfortable. We got a great family deal . Kids also enjoyed dome next door it has a Play area bowling etc. The pet farm is 10 min drive and is a great day. out. We will return again very soon.

Dear Tammy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and post a review of your recent stay with us here at the Talbot Carlow.

It was our pleasure looking after you and your family and I am delighted to see that you all had such a wonderful time.

I hope that we will have the chance to look after you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We have just returned from a 3 night break in this hotel. We had 3 children with us (14,13,11). The hotel was great value but I would expect more from a 4 star hotel. The bedrooms do not have air conditioning which made it very uncomfortable to sit in. We received 2 fans which helped. The hotel was very clean and staff were the friendliest I've ever came across in any hotel especially Hazel who works at reception. Leisure complex was very basic. There is a Dome next door to hotel which kids loved (pool bowling soft play area for younger children) and there is a snooker hall within a 2min walk. Overall the hotel was excellent value for money. Not much to do in Carlow but a great discovery park is 15 min drive away and Killkenny is 30 min drive.If getting a good deal I would recommend this hotel but wouldn't like to pay the going rate for it. More like a good 3 star

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and post a review of your recent family stay with us here at the Talbot Hotel Carlow.

I was delighted to read that overall you had an enjoyable stay and it will be a pleasure passing on your comments to the staff, in particular, Hazel, whom you have singled out for praise. With the unprecedented hot weather the hotel is very warm and unfortunately was not fitted with air conditioning in each of the guest bedrooms at the building stage. I was glad to see, however that we provided you with some fans which I hope helped in some way to keep you all a little cooler.

We hope to see you back in the hotel very soon and keep an eye on our website and indeed that of Carlow Tourism for many family activities available close by and throughout County Carlow.

Warm Regards,

Talbot Hotel Carlow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlow
Seven Oaks Hotel
Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Newpark Hotel
Newpark Hotel
#4 of 18 in Kilkenny

Been to Talbot Hotel Carlow? Share your experiences!