“5weeks”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Carlow
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed here for 5 weeks for work the hotel was nice but very loud they had a lot of things going on weddings and so on that we're very loud and kids running amuck but this was not the hotels fault. The staff was great and the friendliest group i have ever seen a lot of things were out of their control but anything they could do was done quickly over all the staff was under staffed I would stay again just because of the great staff

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Talbot Hotel Carlow

Reviewed 15 August 2014

my wife and I booked into the Talbot at 1945 on sunday 10/8/14. book in was quick/easy .our room was very good/spacious/clean .reception staff were excellent. instant hot water in bathroom all time. restaurant food and staff excellent many thanks to lee, Victoria, danka, narili, and carol .nice hotel but very noisy with too many kids using ground floor,stairs and lifts as playground. We stayed as part of coach party. We had to be up at 4am on 14/08 to catch ferry back to cornwall but there was wedding party in on wed night going all night till 4am and so kept us awake all night .not good when one has a 14hour coach journey same day

Room Tip: our room on 2nd floor next to and above main road ,quite busy and noisy. Big dunnes store around...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank godfrey c
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

just getting to leave a two night stay at talbot carlow with my husband and two children (10 yrs and 10month old baby). had a very enjoyable stay, room was spacious and clean, beds were comfy. staff in hotel were very polite. food in bar delicious and good value for money. breakfast was good to. pool had a little to much chlorine for baby but older lad enjoyed it he made alot of friends as lots if family visit. hotel about 25 mins walk from carlow town. overall a very enjoyable stay...would return and recommend to friends.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
TalbotManager, General Manager at Talbot Hotel Carlow, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Claire,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post a review based on your recent short stay with us here at the Talbot Hotel Carlow.

I was delighted to read that you had such and enjoyable time and that you had the opportunity during your stay to avail of all of our facilities. I hope its not too long before we have the chance to look after you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights B&B. Check in was fast and earlier than expected as our room was early. The reception staff were the friendliest I have seen in a hotel. Our room was spacious and spotlessly clean but so, so hot. It was stifling! It wasn't particularly warm outside but the room was so warm we all slept on top of the bedding on both nights. The bathroom was unbearably warm.....Breakfast was plentiful and delicious but we had to ask for tea and toast several times on both mornings. We ate in the bistro in the evening and we found the food to be delicious but my husband thought the portions could be a little more generous. Our waitress was superb and I regret not finding out her name!....As for the Kids club, it was my first experience with a kids club and Louise was excellent! Although I was a bit miffed with the 'Splash and Dash' session in the pool as it was basically the kids in the pool with the staff watching on...I was glad we were also in the pool as we actually entertained them....The changing facilities are very good in the leisure centre. We went to the Dome leisure/entertainment complex next door which is also owned by the hotel but at €7 a head entry and €5 for coffee and a small danish, it is pricey. I really liked this hotel and the relaxed atmosphere but I have to say I wouldn't return in summer because of the lack of air con.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write an post a review of your recent short stay with us here at the Talbot Hotel Carlow.

I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and that you found all of the team here at the Hotel helpful & friendly. I will take on board your comments and we will discuss as a management team as to how we can continuously improve what we offer. It was exceptionally warm weather during the period that you stayed with us and I apologise that the lack of air conditioning in the bedrooms had a negative impact on your stay.

We do hope to have the chance to look after you once again in the future and thank you for your honest and constructive feedback.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Every thing was nice.rooms could do with air conditioning and check in could be earlier.
I personally wouldn't go back it's a bit out of the way from the town and the reception seemed swapped. The dome is handy beside if you have kids and a deep wallet.

• Stayed: August 2014
TalbotManager, General Manager at Talbot Hotel Carlow, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Laura,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post a review of your recent stay here with us at the Talbot Hotel Carlow.

I was glad that you enjoyed your stay despite the fact you felt we are far from the town. Carlow town is a pleasant 15 minute stroll through the Town Park and can be driven in approx. 3 to 4 minutes. We endeavour to get our guests checked in as early as possible but this is can sometimes prove difficult at this time of year due to the hotel being at full occupancy. We do provide the facility for our guests to store their luggage and everyone has full use of the hotel facilities as soon as they arrive to us.

I hope that you may choose the Talbot the next time you visit Carlow.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed here with our 3month old baby for two nights. We arrived and were sent to our suite which at first we were delighted to get! Then we started to notice things like there were no towels in our bathroom. The seat in the lounge area of the room was shabby, the remote control had no back to keep the batteries in and the TV also would not work properly! We went to read the information folder and found sweet wrappers stuck onto the desk. It clearly hadn't been cleaned. The lampshade had a tear along it on the desk. A picture in the hallway on our floor had the glass loose which was very dangerous. There was a smell of cigarette smoke also in the hall. The staff in the bar were very professional. The design of the bar is not relaxing though. The breakfast wasn't great at all, the teapot was filthy and the tables were all spattered with dried milk on the legs of them, the glass windows in the breakfast room were also dirty between the room and hall area. There were conference rooms that had glass on the doors leading into them and these were also filthy!We went to the swimming pool and the member of staff was not mannerly, the pool was freezing and the chlorine was way too strong! We lasted 10mins with our little boy. Then this morning to too it all off at 6.30am music was blaring for at least ten minutes and woke us all.
This hotel is not a 4star hotel ! Was glad to be leaving....thank god we had Kilkenny down the road to escape for the day yesterday!

4  Thank Shortsilk

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post a review of your recent stay with us here at the Talbot Hotel Carlow.

I was shocked to read your comments and I apologise most sincerely for any upset caused. I have spoken in great detail to my Accommodation Manager regarding the comments you make towards your room. A full re training programme and a new and updated room checklist is to be implemented immediately to ensure there is no repeat of the items you refer to such as the back of the remote control and the stray sweet wrapper etc.

I was also extremely surprised to read your comments regarding the pool area. We conduct pool temperature and chlorine tests every 2 hours and they readings are monitored closely to ensure that both are at the acceptable level. The loud music you refer to was another guest in a nearby room and as soon as it was reported we had the guest turn it off immediately and I apologise that another guests thoughtless behaviour had a negative impact on your stay.

Thank you for providing your honest and constructive feedback and I hope that you may return to the Talbot Carlow at some point in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Lovely,spacious rooms,very clean,comfy and affordable,stayed here recently with my three sisters,we all enjoyed the resteraunt,bar and leisure facilities,plenty for all age groups with a super library area for a relaxing browse,only fault was reception got our booking wrong at first then eventually sorted it out,and at breakfast,the staff were really understaffed which was a shame because they were all so lovely,yet run off their feet!

Dear Siobhan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and post a review based on your recent short stay with us here at the Talbot Hotel Carlow.

I was delighted to read that yourself and your three sisters had such an enjoyable time whilst staying with us. I wish to apologise for any mix up there may have been at check in but delighted that we were able to sort it out as quick as possible.

Thank you once again for your time and your feedback and I hope that yourself and your sisters get to visit again soon.

Kind Regards

Talbot Hotel Carlow

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlow
Woodford Dolmen Hotel
Newpark Hotel
Newpark Hotel
#3 of 19 in Kilkenny
Clanard Court Hotel

Been to Talbot Hotel Carlow? Share your experiences!