“try a little harder folks”

Talbot Hotel Carlow
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Carlow
Reviewed 6 April 2009

i stayed at the Talbot Carlow on tuesday evening last. Upon booking, i was advised only of the more expensive rate for b&b - 79.00. I asked if there were a less expensive option - ie; without breakfast and i was told that the rate would be 59.00. 20.00 for breakfast ?? I arrived late in the evening having had a late dinner meeting to be told that there was no reservation under my name on the computerised system. Naturally I was alarmed at this prospect and i queried the issue straight away to which the reply from the person on duty was " april fool" . having decided on the cheeper option of 59.00 i was given the key to my room - 107, which at the time i was more than happy to retire to. Once in my room I was surprised to notice that there was no working kettle in the room, when i went to phone reception to inform them of this fact i was again surprised to see that there was no phone in the room. I had to leave my room to use a public phone in the hallway to ask that i might have a kettle brought to my room. As is commonplace for most guests in hotels across the world i wanted to take a bath before i retired for the evening, i went to the bathroom to find that not only was there no hot water but when i went to turn the bath on the tap came away in my hand. Naturally at this stage i was getting a little irate and once again had to get dressed and to go personally this time to reception to show the dismantled tap to the night porter and to ask for some hot water. I would like to state that having travelled all-over the worls and having worked in some reputidly good hotels, this type of experience has left a slightly sour taste in my mouth. I have noted all of the above in writing to the manager and am awaiting a reply.

Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,315)

Reviewed 5 April 2009

Thanks to all the staff at the Talbot for a wonderful weekend, very nice and pleasent and a fab spa,the hot stone massage was to die for. Bart you are wonderful!!!! There is great deals to be got

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank meathgra
Reviewed 31 March 2009

We stayed at the Tablot Carlow in early march for a 3 day mid week break and at a good rate. The hotel is extremely clean and food and service is excellent. It also has a state of the art leisure facility - gym, pool, etc with staff. We brought our four month old twins with us and all needs were catered in advance of arriving - cots, kettles etc. The hotel is also an central point for plently of excellent walks - oak park, altamount gardens are no more than a 20 minute country drive.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank alexhanna
Reviewed 11 March 2009

I had lunch there, I had dinner there for 60 guests and stayed in the hotel that night as did some members of my family. We had breakfast there and used the gym. I can not highly praise it enought. It is both child friendly and person friendly. I had a magic time and every aspect was just fab. The duty manager Bart was just so helpful as was all the staff. The food is still been raved about. Ever dish was just superb. The price was not all that bad either and the age group of our party was from 1 to 83+ and all was cathered for. I had a wonderful, memorable 40th birthday thanks to great famiily, friend, food and the Talbot Hotel. Thank you all.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2009

nice but treated not nice from staff was told id get a voucher for an other nights stay when i complaned its been four weeks and still nothing carlow is good night out and i cant say never stay in this hotel because i did like it i think i was just unlucky its just a bit of bad customer service i would recommend that people older than 30 stay there as u wont be looked at funny like me and my boyfriend and he is twenty six

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2009

Myself and 22 ladies spent two nights in the talbot hotel, carlow. Been from kilkenny origionally my thoughts where CARLOW?? for a weekend. I couldn't have been more mistaken.
I always judge a hotel by it's first impression. Reception.From booking in to ordering room service etc, we all where dealt with quickly and efficently.
The overall vibe of the hotel was friendly, inviting and busy!! so many people. It's a kid friendly hotel, even though i was flying single i automatically thought i could see myself and my family returning there.
Rooms where fab, spotless.
Food was great, service was ok, but they where very busy.
Spa was amazing, massage was out of this world.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 February 2009

Stayed a few weeks ago with my husband and two kids. Got a super deal which included a €35 voucher for the Dome next door. Who said Irish hotels are a rip off? This was the best value for money I ever spent in a hotel worldwide.

It was a wet windy day, so the kids spent the afternoon in the Dome. Rooms are spacious, modern and clean.

The food in the Restaurant is excellent (5* quality) and I have never tasted desserts like it anywhere in the world. They are so welcoming of your children too which is such a bonus. We had the kids in the bar until 9pm and that was no problem either.

All the staff are really friendly and attentive and we cannot wait to go back again soon. I have been recommending the Talbot to all my friends and there will be an influx from this part of the world!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank Clewbayhotel1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlow
Woodford Dolmen Hotel
#4 of 5 in Carlow
Lyrath Estate
Lyrath Estate
#6 of 19 in Kilkenny

Been to Talbot Hotel Carlow? Share your experiences!