“Fantastic Hotel”

Talbot Hotel Carlow
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Carlow
Reviewed 16 July 2009

My husband and I stayed for 1 night on 8th July 09. We had a lovely time. Our room was very big with great views. We had a truly fantastic dinner in the hotel restaurant which is on the 4th floor of the hotel also with amazing views. The food was beautiful, well presented and the portions were huge. We made full use of the leisure centre which is fabulous. The hotel is very bright, spotlessly clean and airy. It is a short walk from the town centre. Each and every member of staff we encountered were extremely helpful and friendly as were the bar staff whom we kept up until the small hours!! The Dome, with bowling facilities and all sorts of facilities for children is next door but we didn't use it. We were sorry we couldn't have stayed for longer but we will return very shortly. Overall, it was a lovely, relaxing experience and I would highly recommend the Hotel Talbot Carlow.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Talbot Hotel Carlow

Reviewed 25 June 2009

I usually stay in the Seven Oaks Hotel when in Carlow on business but having read the reviews on the Talbot on Trip Advisor I decided to change and try it instead. Big Mistake!! I waited ten minutes to be checked in, being the only person at the reception desk I found this highly unprofessional as the receptionist played on computer and answered the odd phone call as I stood obviously invisible to her!! When I finally did get checked in my room wasn't up to par..... there was hair in my bed, I'm not sure if it was the cleaners or the guests before me! The room also smelt of stale smoke. I then went down to the bar for some dinner and it tasted like it had been reheated. Having spent the guts of €100 euro at the hotel I was expecting a lot more!! The next time I return to Carlow I will definitely be going back to the Seven Oaks in comparison to the Talbot it is a 5*!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Googley1
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Me and my girlfriend had a lovely weekend in this hotel. I felt like at home from the very beginning until last minute our stay. Staff was very helpful. Barry from reception reserved for us table by the window in liberty tree restaurant. We had a booking for 6:30pm so I went to the restaurant about 6pm, to confirm a reservation and to see a menu. I met there Edyta (restaurant manager). She 's very pleasant person. I told her my girlfriend has a birthday today, so i want her to feel special. She advised me to come about 8:30 -9pm for dinner. Do you know why? she said 'it s a nice weather today so it will be beautiful sunset about 10pm tonight'....and it was. We had a lovely meal (duck terrine and fish cake for starter and salmon and pork for main course)-all very tasty. The best part was after main course. Edyta turn down the lights and she brought dessert with the candle. She had started singing happy birthday and all guest in the restaurant joined her. Plate was also decorated with birthday wishes and Amanda's name. She was delighted. After that we came to the bar for a drink. I need to mention Michael 's name as well (bar manager) -great fellow. We definitely will be back here.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johny_82
Reviewed 28 May 2009

We had the pleasure of staying in this hotel on the weekend of the 23rd, I stayed with my husband and 2 children, we found the entertainment for our children very good, and the compliment of the dome next door was exceptional. Later in the evening we returned to the hotel to dine with my children in the liberty tree resturant, and we found it to be great value at 32 euro for a 5 course meal, and 12.50 for kids 3 course meal. We found the staff very well trained and very well manared and the attention they gave to our children was above reproach. They gave the children colouring compitetions to do, and were always on hand when help was needed. When our food arrived it was served in perfect timing and it was presented above 4 star standard we found it to be very tasty. My husband had smoked salmon starter and I had the homemade duck spring roll, my duck spring roll was fresh and homemade, and my husband's smoked salmon was presented in the shape of a rose and served on homemade guinness brown bread which was exceptional. For the main course my husband had steakand I had salmon again I could go on and on about the food it was fantastic, well presented and full of flavour. Apon checkout in the morning we were greated by the general manager Larry he was very cortious and look to our children and asked them if they had a nice stay. He informed us of a new kids club starting on the 30th of may, and we were delighted to hear it and we would be delighted to come back. We would definitly recommend this hotel to other familys, their attention to detail I'm sure seperates them from the rest. My compliments to the restaurant staff for the attention they gave my children, and compliments to the chef on the standard of food served. We look forward to our return.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2009

My family booked a table here to celebrate my mothers birthday. Never again! It was a bit overpriced and very understaffed, we were left waiting for our dessert for 25 minutes, we had had to wait for the main course too so we didnt bother staying for our tea & coffee, it was quicker to get in the car and drive ten minutes home to make it there ourselves. It was so cold in the restaurant I was tempted to leave my coat on for the meal. We were there on a Saturday night, I believe the menu was priced at 39 euro incl. starter, main, dessert & tea/coffee and 33 euro if you skipped the starter/dessert. There were around 5 choices for main course, I had the fish which tasted good and was presented nicely, and the baileys cheesecake afterwards was fab but our experience was ruined by the bad service.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2009

went here after a visit to dome next door.wife & i got tuna melt, thank god the kids did'nt.
the cheese i think was melted on about 2 days previous and cold.
the both of us were up all night throwing up ( sorry for graphics but tru),we had food poisoning.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank hindsyKildare
Reviewed 9 April 2009

Stayed in The Hotel with a group of friends last month. Straight away from the moment we walked through the doors we were welcomed by a the young friendly receptionist Catriona who couldn't do enough for us, advising us on the best bars and clubs and of course the shops, ringing taxi's, organising dinner in the restaurant and getting more towels for our rooms. We ate in the restaurant the food was lovely and there was a great selection.The rooms were very comfortable and the pool and gym was great. Its is in a great location too. Our Experience from start to finish was amazing.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank fizz26
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlow
Woodford Dolmen Hotel
Newpark Hotel
Newpark Hotel
#3 of 19 in Kilkenny
Clanard Court Hotel

Been to Talbot Hotel Carlow? Share your experiences!