“Fantastic!”

Talbot Hotel Carlow
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Carlow
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Took a last minute break last week. Got an excellent price for B&B and dinner, really good value. Food was fantastic. Found the leisure centre great. Staff were all friendly and helpful. No complaints at all, would go back again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,304)

Reviewed 22 July 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Talbot for a weekend break recently. we got a very good deal that included dinner. i have to say i was suprised when we arrived, with the price of our stay we didnt expect anything out of this world, however the hotel was really modern and very classy! we had a really enjoyable & relaxing weekend from start to finish. The fantastic staff really made our stay. cathriona at the reception desk was just lovely & even remember our names when we went to reserve a table in the resturant. the food was fab especially the dessert! and the service in the restaurant was excellent, although the waitresses were very busy they made you feel like you were the only customers. the only fault we had was the slow service in the bar but they were very busy. the manager also deserves a mention (dont know his name) he was so friendly & would always speak to us when he saw us. we had such a relaxing weekend & will definately be returning

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rachelgimo
Reviewed 21 July 2009

My husband and I spent a rare romantic night away from the kids in the Talbot in Carlow last week. What a fantastic choice!!
The room was amazing; comfortable, spacious and luxurious. Loved the mod decor. It had everything you'd expect from a modern 4*, including great views.
Dinner in the 4th floor restaurant was delicious. Compliments to the chef, everything was great. They even laid on a fabulous sunset to go with our "window table with a view"! Breakfast there the following morning was equally good. Loved the range of alternative choices to the standard fry-up.
Staff were great too, helpful and courteous. Many thanks to the beautician for squeezing me in for an appointment just before closing time!
All-in-all everyone at the Talbot made our stay memorable - Thank you all!!

Reviewed 19 July 2009

We have just had another great stay at the Talbot Inn Carlow. I can only give 10/10 for value for money with the Wow Deal (€199 for 2 adults and 2 children for 2 b&b&1d each also that includes €35 Dome Voucher).

We once again were checked in by the friendly receptionist Sarah and given a spacious room on the fourth floor. There was only a couple of minor things wrong such as only 1 cup and not enough towels, this was rectified within half an hour and included an extra stock of tea/coffee.

I have to say the staff are outstanding in the Talbot. No request is any trouble, they are warm and welcoming, they even make our children feel special and wanted in the hotel.
I have to make a special mention to Barry and another girl that was working in the bar when we were there, I am afraid I didn't get her name but she was lovely.

I know that we will return as we find the hotel great and Carlow town is a lovely town to browse around in the shops, it has also we just discovered a lovely town park.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2009

My husband and I stayed for 1 night on 8th July 09. We had a lovely time. Our room was very big with great views. We had a truly fantastic dinner in the hotel restaurant which is on the 4th floor of the hotel also with amazing views. The food was beautiful, well presented and the portions were huge. We made full use of the leisure centre which is fabulous. The hotel is very bright, spotlessly clean and airy. It is a short walk from the town centre. Each and every member of staff we encountered were extremely helpful and friendly as were the bar staff whom we kept up until the small hours!! The Dome, with bowling facilities and all sorts of facilities for children is next door but we didn't use it. We were sorry we couldn't have stayed for longer but we will return very shortly. Overall, it was a lovely, relaxing experience and I would highly recommend the Hotel Talbot Carlow.

Reviewed 25 June 2009

I usually stay in the Seven Oaks Hotel when in Carlow on business but having read the reviews on the Talbot on Trip Advisor I decided to change and try it instead. Big Mistake!! I waited ten minutes to be checked in, being the only person at the reception desk I found this highly unprofessional as the receptionist played on computer and answered the odd phone call as I stood obviously invisible to her!! When I finally did get checked in my room wasn't up to par..... there was hair in my bed, I'm not sure if it was the cleaners or the guests before me! The room also smelt of stale smoke. I then went down to the bar for some dinner and it tasted like it had been reheated. Having spent the guts of €100 euro at the hotel I was expecting a lot more!! The next time I return to Carlow I will definitely be going back to the Seven Oaks in comparison to the Talbot it is a 5*!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Googley1
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Me and my girlfriend had a lovely weekend in this hotel. I felt like at home from the very beginning until last minute our stay. Staff was very helpful. Barry from reception reserved for us table by the window in liberty tree restaurant. We had a booking for 6:30pm so I went to the restaurant about 6pm, to confirm a reservation and to see a menu. I met there Edyta (restaurant manager). She 's very pleasant person. I told her my girlfriend has a birthday today, so i want her to feel special. She advised me to come about 8:30 -9pm for dinner. Do you know why? she said 'it s a nice weather today so it will be beautiful sunset about 10pm tonight'....and it was. We had a lovely meal (duck terrine and fish cake for starter and salmon and pork for main course)-all very tasty. The best part was after main course. Edyta turn down the lights and she brought dessert with the candle. She had started singing happy birthday and all guest in the restaurant joined her. Plate was also decorated with birthday wishes and Amanda's name. She was delighted. After that we came to the bar for a drink. I need to mention Michael 's name as well (bar manager) -great fellow. We definitely will be back here.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johny_82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlow
Woodford Dolmen Hotel
#4 of 5 in Carlow
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
#3 of 4 in Portlaoise

Been to Talbot Hotel Carlow? Share your experiences!