Sorry Long Review. First let me say Ms Joy is a sweet lady who was always around to answer any question and give suggestions on the area. That is the only plus. She lives upstairs along with another male tenant who was also very nice. The problem is the kitchen and living area are shared space with the owner and tenant. Which was fine but we were never informed of this prior to booking or arrival. We met the gentleman tenant when he came down for breakfast the next morning. We was under the impression that we was renting the entire space and unaware the living space would have to be shared with owner and tenant. Turned out not to be a problem because they were nice people but this needs to be communicated to guest prior to booking. Due to a death in the family, some nights we did have more people staying then booked which made the space a little crowded. But thankfully Miss Joy was very understanding of this.
Problems with the house:
1. We were told prior to arrival there was AC and Wifi. There is NO AC. 1 of the 3 bedrooms had a ceiling fan and she has a couple plug in fans which only one worked well. So our stay was very hot and muggy. The Wifi does NOT work very well and some days Not at all. The last week I just gave in and bought and international data plan from my cell provider.
2. The first night of our stay the shower in our room flooded the floor so we had to use shower in other bedroom for remainder of trip which had really low water pressure and was not very clean. My aunt washed the shower curtain by hand but still not great. A few days later the toilet in our room broke. Miss Joy was able to get someone to fix it but it took 2 days. There was a half bath in the hall in which we could use toilet but it was also not very clean. Then the shower in another bedroom also broke but was able to fix in 2 days. But during the 2 days we had only one working shower out of 3.
3. Hot water heater broke so for almost half of our 2 week stay we had to boil water or take cold showers. Which was not fun.
4. The washer machine was broken. So we planned to do laundry during our stay but ended up having to go to a laundromat in Ocho Rios.
5. Overall the house was not very clean and had a lot of spiders, ants, roaches and other bugs which are expected in the Caribbean if a place is not kept dry and clean.
All of these issues with the house made it a very uncomfortable stay and in my opinion not suitable for a vacation rental. I like many others come on vacation to relax and the issues with this house made our stay very stressful. Some of us ended up spending extra money to stay somewhere else on the island for a couple nights.
Family of 10 (5 adults, 5 children) stayed here over Christmas and New Year's. It was a nice break away, we woke up every morning to the Jamaican heat, sunshine and lovely sea view.
The host stayed upstairs and was available when needed, she helped with the cooking, cleaning and changed the bed linen when required. A car was also available for hire with a driver, whenever we needed to go into town or to the beach.
The host also arranged pick up and return to and from the airport with the Duta transportation company.
It was a great holiday, the children had a fab time... it's a pity it was only 2 weeks!