“Tips & Review: "We booked for next year!"” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Toronto, Canada
“Tips & Review: "We booked for next year!"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

I booked a trip from August 6 to the 13th. We have never been to Jamaica but travel in the Caribbean a lot so we were surprised by how much we loved this resort! It truly is a bang for your buck!

Transportation: All transportation to and from airports, and to and from excursions are done at no extra cost. If, for example, you plan an excursion to Dolphin Cove, you pick what time you want to get there and what time you'll get back and the bus will be there to get you right on time!

Food: Incredible! Unless you're the stingy type that don't like organic foods, you'll love it! Food is always available, nearly 24/7 (exception: between 6am-6:30am). There are 5 different restaurants: Eleanor's (Caribbean Cuisine - dinner), Bayside (Buffet - select hours for breakfast, lunch and dinner), BBQ Park (your go to place for burgers, jerk chicken, pizza, hot dogs, fries, etc. - lunch and early dinners), The Venetian (Italian - dinner), and Arizona (steak!!! - dinner). My children loved BBQ Park and had lunch there every day. There was only one breakfast restaurant, and that was Bayside, the buffet. They have plenty of favorites that please even the picky kids, as well as more adventurous breakfasts for adults. They also had a chef there that made personalized omelets. Eleanor's is only for adults (12+), not only as a sensitivity thing but also because the menu doesn't have a single kid friendly choice. I took my two eldest daughters (14 and 17) but neither enjoyed it and stopped by Bayside for another dinner on the way to the room! Food and drinks are completely unlimited, so eat and drink to your heart's desire.

Accomadation: The rooms are great, but not perfect! The bathroom fans do not work, nor do the locks on the bathroom door. The minibar was stalked every morning, the room was cleaned exceptionally and with great detail (the maids tucked my youngest sons toy into the bed every time they came in to clean!). Towels were always changed and the beds were extremely comfortable (even the sofa bed, to my surprise.) All first time guests get a free upgrade to a bigger suite.

Service: UNBELIEVABLE. They have the most amazing people working there and they all go the extra mile to make sure you're happy. Throughout my entire stay, I never met a single employee that didn't say "hello" or "good morning/afternoon/evening". They were exceedingly friendly, always asking you about your stay and what you had done. I was given the best advice by some of the people working at the resort (i.e. where to visit, possible excursions...). If you call for the elevator but when it opens it's full (whether by people or by things such as the cleaning trolley), the employees insist on stepping out of the elevator and letting you in. The incredible thing is that all of this is done with genuine love. They don't ask you how your day is because they have to, they do it because they want to. There is a great respect and adoration between all the people staying at the resort and the people that work there. They truly are hard workers.

Entertainment: Every night there is something new! All my children were usually asleep before 9:00pm out of sheer exhaustion, but my husband and I did go to some of the nightly shows. Every night sees a different show on the stage by the main pool. One night it may be karaoke, to tribal dancers the next. They brought in an incredible singer on our last night. She preformed a mix of classic reggae songs to pop and R&B songs that my kids knew. She had something for everyone. The resort also has a club (Liquid); I have never gone but I heard it was fantastic. During the day, they also have entertainment for kids and adults. They do daily activities, such as water volleyball, dance games, bingo, etc.; each activity you participate in earns you points and if you get over 150 points by the end of your stay, you are given a complimentary souvenir. They had a few cooking shows by the head chef, in which he taught how to cook Jamaican dishes.

Pool/Beach: The pool is cleaned twice a day and has a comfortable amount of chlorine in it. My kids usually have red eyes after spending a few hours in a pool, but this had never happened here. The beach is amazing! They have lots of beach chairs, as well as huts if you get there early enough.

Policies: The resort has a "No Cash" policy meaning you aren't supposed to tip anyone or pay for things in cash. Everything you spend (i.e. gift shop, excursion office, spa, etc.) is billed to your room. At the end of your stay you are given the option of paying for the additional costs with cash or a different (or the same) credit card you used to pay for the resort.

Spa: My husband and I did a massage together that was very enjoyable. The facials, however, we're not that great.

Activities: The resort offered many activities (glass bottom boating, snorkeling, windsurfing, kayaking, canoing, sail boats, hobiekats, these odd waterbikes, and scuba diving. If you are NOT CERTIFIED for scuba diving, you must complete your certification before going diving. It costs $80 for a temporary certification, and $300 for an international one. If you have a certification prior to arriving or do it while you are there, you do not have to pay any additional fees for the scuba diving trips.
The resort also has a X-box garage (a huge room filled with dozens of x-box's and assorted games) as well as an arts and crafts class (this has an additional fee of $10).
I did not use the fitness center but my husband said it was great!

Extras: The resort has photographers rooming the grounds; if they come across you, they ask to take a picture of you, and this picture can be then bought (IF YOU LIKE IT. No additional costs if you do not want it). You can also schedule a photographer to come and take pictures of you and your family for a few hours. These can then be purchased if liked.

Value: The greatest you could possibly find! ENJOY!

Room Tip: If you don't want any noise at night, request a room as far from the main pool as possible! That...
5 Thank MusicalAngel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (904)
Freeport, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

My husband and I got married at this resort and it was amazing! The staff was extremely accommodating and the propert was beautiful. Everyone was very friendly and the wedding planners were great! Anything you wanted and they made sure you got it. The pool is huge and there are always fun activities going on. A group of 60 people came down for our wedding,all ages, and everyone had a blast. The water slides are fun for kids and adults and food is always available at at least one of the restaurants. If you are looking for an energetic, fun, family vacation- this is the place to go!!

• Stayed July 2011
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

Enjoyed our stay. Everyone very pleasant. If your airport transportation is a full size tour bus it will take two hours and it does not have a bathroom. It left the resort 20 minutes late and if we hadn't paid for the beaches express line thru customs we would have missed our departure flight. Tile hallways VERY noisy so get a room away from elevator.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank choppes
Wanaque
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

The staff was excellent. They were always there to help you, except the ones at night that you call on the phone. They always forgot to come but would come after a second phone call. The food was just ok, very repetitive in all the restaurants, the best one was the Venetian. Drinks were fantastic and so were the bartenders. Also be warned many steps to climb to go to beach and a few restaurants. Would recommend Beaches negril before this one.

• Stayed August 2011
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

I had my reservations when I was invited to a destination wedding and was told that the resort would be Beaches Boscobel for several reasons- namely the many poor reviews and the extreme price of the stay. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the staff was lovely, there was so much to do and plenty of places to hide out if you wanted to so absolutely nothing! The rooms were beautifully decorated- crisp white bedding, ample space for dressing, clean bathroom. My one complaint would be that I was initially placed in a room that had a view of a tar roof rather than a balcony, which my aunt happened to be place in originally and was given MY room when she complained. I also requested a room change and it was granted the following day. The choices of restaurants was great and the proximity of most rooms to the resorts attractions was reasonable- nothing worse than trekking miles to your room or to dinner every night! I was also very grateful that there was food availible at the grill all night long!!

As sad as I was to leave Beaches Boscobel resort, I would also say that the highlight of my trip was my final ride from the hotel to the airport with Mr. Frederick Campbell, my JUTA Tours Driver. Mr. Campbell is truly a wonderful ambassador for the island of Jamaica. He told me little known stories of the history of the island, as well as of many of the entrepreneurs that have created wonderful opportunities for themselves and others on the island. The great deal of pride of which he spoke of the island reminded me that Jamaican is a precious commodity and resource that I can enjoy and invest in. I'm very much looking forward to my next stay in Jamaican, with my new found respect for the country of my ancestors! Thank you, Freddy!

Room Tip: Book early for biggest discounts and best room availibiliity!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Billericay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

stayed for 14 nights with my two childen and wife room was poor shower broke bed had to be changed hand rail had to be removed. there are lots of steps to the bench were the locals will try and sell you stuff all day the one pool os very noisey from 8 am with silly pool game for the americans. scuba is poor with only one boat very busy rear is old with poor dive sites
would not come back to this resort the turks beach is a different world

Room Tip: can not say as i did not see other rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank kevin a
SRICS, Manager at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
Warm greetings from Sandals Resorts International! You are very important to us and we welcome the opportunity to speak with you. Please e-mail us at (customerservice@beaches.com). We ask that you include your TripAdvisor screen name, resort booked, and travel dates when corresponding with us. We look forward to hearing from you.
Verona, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

Thought I'd post some things that I hadn't seen on here which may make your trip to Boscobel a little better. Stayed from Aug. 6 - 11th with my wife and two 11 year old sons. Generally, pretty positive experience. Very relaxing, but wish I'd known some this below beforehand. This is long, but if it can't help...

-- There is a general service/cleanliness issue at Boscobel. Lot of theories about why this is, but the all-inclusive nature of the resort is probably at the root of it. Why do well when there's no tip coming? There are a lot of employees at the resort, but good service is very hard to find. If you're eating at the restaurants, don't expect any extras. If your eating at the Bayside buffet, pretty much count on getting your own water and bussing your own dirty plates. There are tons of empty glasses around the pool that just never seem to get picked up. Very annoying.

-- One of the big reasons we booked this resort is the water park. This was a tremendous letdown. The pictures don't do it justice. There are a lot of slides, but Beaches (especially with the Sesame Street tie-in) is aiming at a certain demographic. I'd say if you've got kids over 9, they're going to be bored by the water park. My boys definitely were. With the exception of the green slide (which has a decent drop), all the slides are very, very tame. You come down at about 2 mph on all of them. This place is NO Atlantis when it comes to the water park. If you've got younger kids, you'll think it's fine. Tweens will be bored.

--- We booked two excursions and I'd highly recommend them both. The White River tubing was terrific. Very relaxing . There are a couple of 'rapids' that could flip you, but it's a great way to see the real Jamaica. We had a great guide, Dwight. Awesome experience. (The drive up in the mountains is a little hairy with a steep cliff, but close your eyes and hope for the best!) We also did the catamaran ride to Dunns River falls. Excellent, excellent, excellent! Keep this in mind about Dunns River. You're going to be told about a million times not to bring your camera. BRING YOUR CAMERA! Better yet, bring a water proof camera. Your guide up the falls will gladly take your pictures. He will expect a little something, something after the climb. One thing we would have done if we'd known is hire a driver to take us around the island a little. The two hour ride from the airport is cool -- you get to see the country, but there is more to see to the east of where the resort is. That's where the mountains are. A good driver can take you to the spots. These taxi guys can be bought for the whole day. At Beaches, you kinda feel tethered to the resort. Wish we'd bought a driver for a half day.

-- The towel situation a little weird. Dry towels are hard to come by. In short, if you lose your towel or if it's picked up by another guest, you could be hit with a charge at the end of the trip. My advice, if you lose your towel, goto the beach around sunset. There are tons just sitting on the chairs down there that were either forgotten or misplaced by the guests.

--- The advice to get your spots early at the pool is well-taken. I'd say by 7:30, you should have your towels out "claiming" pool chairs. Space is limited. If you don't get them out, you could get stuck by the water park and that's a decent hike from the main pool. Suggestion would also be to put something personal on your chair in the AM -- like a magazine or an empty bag. On the days we took excursions, I claimed four chairs each morning by the pool, only to come back around noon or 1pm and find the chairs taken by someone. Did my towels blow away? Were these just rude guests? My suspicion is the latter. Definitely, you want to do something early to claim those poolside chairs!!!

--- There are bees and flies everywhere. Just fair warning. Can't do much about it. By day 3 or 4, you might even no longer notice.

--- The food portions at Arizona and Venetian are pretty small. Food was good, just not enough of it. What we did was have two dinners -- one at the specialty restaurant and then we went to Bayside buffet for dessert and/or any other food you might want.

--- There is a great bar that you need to discover at the resort, but they don't seem to publicize it. It right above the water sports center at the beach. It's in the second floor. Killer view! I didn't even think it was part of the resort at first, but it is and the drinks are free. It is a must do -- especially at sunset!!!

--- You should definitely take advantage of the water sports options. Loved the daily banana boat. Free rides from 2-4 every afternoon. Glass bottom boat ride (sign up early!!!), kayak and water trike -- all good fun.

--- The beach. It is small, but I think it's a decent enough size. There are NO waves, so it's more like a wading pool than anything. Did some snorkeling/swimming out by the ropes. Was surprised to see how littered the bottom is with trash. Just a shame. Also, keep in mind, look where you are stepping!!! Within the roped off area, I saw a black sea urchin which is definitely to be avoided. And was stunned to see a sea snake no more than 20 feet from the shore. Lot of internet talk that there are no sea snakes in the Caribbean. That's bogus. This was not an eel. It was an orange and white striped sea snake about 18 inches long. Probably -- probably -- harmless. But, thus ended my time at the beach. For good. Glad I saw this on my last day at the resort.

-- Shuttle back to the airport generally leaves 4 hours before your flight. That's about right. The airport scene at Montego is a mob scene. It's one of the few times you feel you're in an under-developed country.

Hope these tips help. Generally, we had a good time, but would not go back. Our kids are a little old and there are just too many other options in the Caribbean to return to a pretty good-not-great resort. 4 stars out of 5

• 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank baseballdad99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,988 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!