“Over The Top”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
East Freetown, Massachusetts
“Over The Top”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

This is our 11th time to beaches and we have had lifetime memories.The reason why we keep going back is the the staff.Our 1st time was in 2003 and there are a lot of the same staff there and that speaks volume.Ian from Elernors was outstandining along with bruce,Migel,Colette and Sidue.At the Bayside the food service were great!They couldnt do enough for.Lenox,Susan,Gracelyn,jason,Monique,Juanita,Paula,Devene,Shantollee,Odian,Bruce,Kirklon,Cameika,Milton,Kedisha,Christine.Wedding department was great with.Guelan and Michelle.Neptune Resteraunt food was great and being right on the water hit tpot.Richard,Jomo,Nata Lee and Racheda did a great job cooking lunch.The Venition was great!Delroy was fantastic along with Taywane and Bruce.Come back soon team was so helpful and friendly.Jadeane,Fione and Rupert were the best!The Front office was outstanding with helpng all of our needs,starting with Anenia,Samanta,Matthew,Shareae,Damion and Alwayne.The Spa,wished it could have been a bit bigger,but the staff was amazing and did a outstanding job.Hillery was Fantastic,along with Jackie who braided our 5year old daughters hair,which everybody stopped us and told us how good it looked.Wished the steam room worked also.Vannessa,Meliissa,Fiancia,Cecial,Naddesha,Tracey,Elizabeth,Shantel,Noreen and Andrea.The housekeeping were very clean.Karen was great along with Christine!All the managers were very friendly,We just love Francine,she worked so hard and she was so good with our Kids.Donald and all the Managers were great!Gregory was the 1st lifeguard we met our 1st year and does a outstanding job for us and everybody.Don and all the beach lifeguards were great too.Water park staff was awesome and all those lifeguards.The Chefs were great.Lawrence
was great.Romona in the kitchen was great.This is the ultimate Family vacation.This will be our 2nd time back in two months!The staff has made us feel like Family from the very 1st time we went there.That staff is the nicest people ive been around and cant do enough for my Family and I.One Love!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (924)
california
Reviewed 28 March 2013

My husband, 8 year old daughter and I visited in late February. The resort was not my cup of tea, per se, but it was clean and friendly. I think if you want to go to a resort where you can plop down in a chair at the pool, have a never-ending supply of drinks, and someone else always around to watch the kids then this may great! My daughter didn't want to go to the kids' club and I don't like to just hang out at the hotel, so it wasn't the best fit for us. We did sign my daughter up for the kid's club, but she didn't feel comfortable there. The food was good and some of the staff were absolutely amazing people- so friendly and welcoming. The spa services were pretty good, although pricey, but the staff there weren't the friendliest. The people working the Bayside buffet restaurant were incredible. At all other restaurants on site the attitude was hit and miss, but mostly miss. However, the food was much better than I expected at all of them. We stayed in a beachfront, walkout room. I liked that option very much. We were at the end nearest the water activities desk, though. The same level room at the opposite end (nearest Neptune's restaurant) would have been perfect. The beach is small and chairs can be hard to come by. We were there when there was only 60% occupancy and I can't imagine being there at a busier time. It would have been hard to enjoy any space. The beach was beautifully groomed every morning and there are toys for the kids to play with already set out. There were mosquitoes in the room and at the grounds. There weren't a lot, but bug spray might be a good idea. The water activities were a lot of fun. Again, if the resort had been closer to capacity there would not have been enough kayaks, boards, etc. to go around. My daughter did LOVE the Sesame Street characters! I thought she might be too old, but she was so happy seeing Elmo. The activities staff is not great in my opinion. We played some of the games on the beach and I think they could have been more inclusive. They were more concerned with their team winning than including all the little kids in the activities. Luckily my daughter is athletic and big for her age, but some of the others were simply left out. Not good at all. The drive to and from the airport was a little long, but wasn't bad at all. It is a good highway and there are places to stop if you need a restroom or drink.

We did take a family golf trip to the Sandals resort. It was simply beautiful. My daughter had never played before and got tips and instruction for at least 30 minutes from a simply wonderful golf pro, Bill. Super day!

Now, what I like to do on vacation is see more of where locals live. We did find a great driver with a local company (his name is Otis and we have his phone number if anyone wants it!) that took us to some areas we never would have seen if we hadn't met him. So grateful! Jamaicans are amazing people. They are genuinely kind and warm. I think even if you stay on a resort's property the rest of the vacation, you owe it to yourself to go out and meet the people for at least one day.

We went to the Taj Mahal shopping area. Wouldn't do that again or recommend it. It was dirty and cramped, the prices were high, and it was one of the only places in Jamaica that we didn't have a good experience with the people.

We went to Dolphin Cove and had a great experience! The Falls are nearby, too.

We will definitely go back to Jamaica. Just don't think we will be back to Beaches Ocho Rios. I am sure there are things I am forgetting, so feel free to ask.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We returned last night from Beaches Ocho Rios. First just let me say we had a great time! The employees at the resort are amazing. The "player" keep the kids entertained and the adults too! My kids ages 14 and 11 loved the water sports and the water park. We all thought the food was great. We made it to all the restaurants. The only issue we had was the wait. The resort was at full capacity and we waited for lunch one for almost an hour to get our food.

That leads me to the reason will NOT go back. The first day we arrived we were not able to get a chair or towel until well past 5 pm. It was just too much work for a vacation. I realized I had to get up and out before 6 am to save chairs at the pool. I was never able to get any chairs on the beach. One day I saved the chairs but didn't put up the umbrella and when we went back it was gone. As it was sunny and almost 90 this was very annoying! I also had to wait for the towels to come out at 7 am and be in line for them or we wouldn't have towels until the end of the day.

As I said the people are great! But for the amount of money we paid I expect at the very least a towel and chair. So we will not be back.

1 Thank sbrook4
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Despite a week of overcast and rainy conditions, we had a great time at Beaches Ocho Rios. Although it would have been nice to see the sun during the day, the kids were so busy with the animation team and making new friends, they barely noticed the weather.

We arrived at Montrgo Bay and took the 1.5 or so hour ride to Ocho Rios. The kids were starving once we arrived at the airport. Luckily, there was a couple of minutes to enjoy the amenities for Sandals and Beaches customers. We had a couple of pastries and a drink before boarding the bus. Our oldest son was still hungry, so he really appreciated the stop enroute for the hotel, where he got some jerk chicken to go. It is now his favourite food.

The kids started playing basketball as soon as we arrived. We were treated very well in the reception area and got into our room very quickly.

The restaurants are lovely and don't require reservations which allows you to decide when it is time to eat, where you would like to go. Our favourite was the restaurant on the waterfront.

At the buffet restaurant, the serving staff is very friendly and professional. The cook that works at the main station of the buffet is worth the price of admission. I never got his name but he is very entertaining! On a number of occasions, we had members of the animation team join us for a meal. The kids just loved that and we also found it very interesting learning more about the resort and their culture.

Renex and Fabian were absolutely amazing with our 2 boys (ages 10 and 12) and my daughter (age 8) had a great time at the kids club with Shavaughn and Tashmarie. We often didn't have any children to have lunch with and sometimes they were too busy for us at supper!

We all made new friends and the staff is included in that. The children still complain that the week that we spent there was not long enough.

Our room was lovely, overlooking the ocean. We had 2 queen beds and a cot which suited our family of 5 perfectly.

4 Thank Cheryl L
toronto
Reviewed 26 March 2013

my self wife 2yrs doughter 8yrs son and 16yrs doughter,we stay at beaches ocho rios for march break.we had an amazing time .our room was 1404 great ocean view .1 important point to the management the great staff you guys have there make this resort what it is so they should be compensated well.do'nt know every 1 name ,but they were all nice and helpful.this is the best resort i have ever visit,my son had so much fun that he cry on our way back home.we are planning on going back next year.

Dryden, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Appreciated the Sandals/Beaches check in lounge with FREE Red Stripe on tap at the Montego Bay airport.
The family enjoyed the 2 hour drive to the resort. Lots to look at and talk about.
From the time we arrived we were WOWED!! by the friendliest staff we have ever encountered and there was staff everywhere to serve you. We found the atmosphere very relaxed and fun as well as all the encounters with the staff. A few stand outs for us were Romaine, Emigel, Anthony and Venice. They all loved joking around with you.
We opted for the most basic room it was very spacious with a big balcony facing South and very clean. My wife and I loved having a glass of wine on the balcony any time we wanted.
No reservations allowed at the restaurants is a definite plus and getting seated quickly was never a problem. Our families favourite was Neptune's which is oceanside so you could hear the waves on the beach while you enjoyed your dinner. We did not realize until too late that Elanor's restaurant has a beautiful balcony to dine on as well. We were never disappointed with the food. The food was generally excellent all day ..everyday.
The resort had a ton of activities for the kids. They could do as much or as little as they wanted.
We swam everyday in the ocean and pool...and our son loved the water-park.
Like every resort on the planet sun-chairs are claimed early. However, if there were none available ask a resort staff member and they can help. We found that later in the day no returns there towels and just leave them crumpled on the chairs. We just returned the towels and claimed the chairs with no problems.
The Beaches "cashless resort with no tipping" made life on the resort so much easier. Great idea.
The Appleton bar (adults only :)) on the second level ocean side was a super place to hang.
The free golf (but have to pay for the caddy) was excellent. Never had a caddy before and enjoyed feeling like a PGA Tour Pro. Also paid for a lesson for my son from Billy and well worth it.
We booked two tours through Island Routes. Very organized and very well run and always on time. Zip line/Bobsled was excellent, fun and well worth it. Dunn River falls was really neat but on thee way out detour the "little shop of horrors/souvenirs villiage" .
On our last day we splurged and rented a cabana. We felt like the "rich and famous" and served like that as well. I would definitely do that again.
Beaches Boscobel.....Would love to go back again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trevor

3 Thank Trevor1S4G8P
Miramichi, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2013

My husband and I went with our 14 year old son and we all had an amazing time! The staff was the best I've ever experienced. The food (and drink) was always delicious with so many options! We went on 3 different excursions that we booked at the resort and I would definitely recommend them! (Dunn's River Falls with catamaran cruise, Mystic Mountain and Chukka River Tubing) We spent time at the beach (glassbottom boat tour and snorkeling too) as well as relaxing by the pool. My son also enjoyed pool volleyball, basketball & tennis courts, the teen center (xbox room) and the waterpark. There was so much to do we wish we had more time! We stayed in the Hibiscus family room and had a lovely balcony to enjoy our morning coffee. I will be telling anyone travelling to visit Beaches Ocho Rios for an amazing vacation! :)

2 Thank Andrea S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#2 of 62 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,020 reviews
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Moon Palace Jamaica Grande

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!