“9.5 or higher from our whole family”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We just returned from 7 days and nights at Beaches Ocho Rios for spring break, and had a fabulous time. There are 5 of us in our family, my husband and I, twin 12 year olds and a 10 year old. We had read many many reviews on Trip Advisor before leaving, so we came armed with information and helpful hints from fellow travellers. The most important standout at this property was the staff - always helpful, accomodating, funny, and willing to go the extra mile. The unemployment rate in Jamaica is obviously very high, so many employees told us that working at Beaches was a very coveted job, and they wanted to keep it. The biggest downer about this property is the 2 hour bus ride to and from Montego Bay. That's just the way it is (at least it's a paved highway). When we arrived, our room was ready - I requested an upgrade at check-in, and that our room have a walk-out patio with table and chairs, not a balcony. Both were granted. Our room had 1 king bed, a pull out couch, and a rollaway. I had already checked in online with the rollaway request, and it was waiting in our room. Very clean room, serviced twice a day (housekeeping came while we were at dinner and changed out tools, remade beds, general tidying up). Our room looked out to the pool and ocean beyond, just beautiful. I read a few complaints about waiting at restaurants - the trick here is GO EARLY. We are an early-riser family, so we were awake and moving by 6:30 every morning, kids down (exhausted from the sun and fun) by 9 or 9:30. We never had to wait for a table. The food was incredibly good for an all-inclusive; make sure you read the Sunny Times newspaper every day, and keep a lookout for the "Pirate's Bounty" in the Bayside Buffet, because that means all you can eat lobster tails! I felt bad for people sitting in Venetian having spaghetti, who hadn't "read through the lines". When you go to Eleanor's, don't miss the crabcake. All wines are by Beringer, and were very drinkable (of course you can order off a different wine list and pay, but that seemed unnecessary to us, then again, we're not sommeliers). As far as watersports, my kids did tons of snorkeling, glass bottom boats, we took water kayaks out every day. We did have a problem with waiting our turn for these the last few days of our stay, but that was when the resort was super-busy with new families arriving (Saturday seemed to be the big arrivals day). Yes, you're going to have to keep a few beach towels in your room from the day before to lay over your pool and beach chairs - no big deal. We scored a free covered cabana on the beach every day, but then again we were down there at 6:30am laying towels. Yes, the beach is small, but I saw many adults venture past the roped-off area and do a little swimming out in deeper water. One note for whoever is packing bags in your family - bring more sunscreen than you think. The shop sells it, but it's exhorbitant. We had 3 full cans for our family, and literally ran out the last day. As far as activities go, my kids are scheduled to the hilt here at home, so we just let them do whatever they wanted to do. They always knew where we were stationed ("we'll either be at the pool, beach, or in our room, let's meet here at 12:30 for lunch"). The kids club activities looked tons of fun, we didn't register them, tho. The Xbox room was a good draw in the afternoon for a break from the sun (we had 85 and sunny every day, btw). One tip if you have a daughter - don't get her hair braided at the resort for $130, go see the ladies who hang out by the dive shop, and get it done for half that amount. Carlene, Susan and friends are very nice and will do a super job. We did do one excursion - Dunn's River Falls, which is a blast. After you climb the falls, you're going to have to walk past a mega-market of sellers, just say "no, mon" politely and they'll leave you alone. For us, this trip was all about relaxation and unstructured time, and if that's what you're looking for, then Beaches Ocho Rios will definitely fit the bill.

3  Thank badgermomof3

Reviewed 29 March 2013

We just returned from a week stay at this resort. My family had a great time. They have a great waterpark with 7 water slides and my kids (12, 9 and 8) spent most of their time there. The beach was great with plenty of activities - snorkeling, kayaking, paddle boards, hobie catamaran. We did it all! The food was better than we were expecting. All the restaurants had great food. We did have to wait two nights for about 20 minutes. One we had reservations for, one we didn't. The other 5 nights we walked right up and got seated. The staff was wonderful and bent over backwards to make us happy. Even staff we were not involved with would come up and say hi and make sure we were doing okay. Whorms, the bartender, at the swim up bar is very friendly and always has a smile on his face while serving up a tasty beverage. Gregory, our catamaran sailing instructor, down at the beach was extremely helpful and we really enjoyed our lesson with him. What we have to give a negative review on is the room. The Beaches website states all rooms have been completely renovated. Not sure what they consider "completely renovated". I think it was repainted and possibly new furniture which looks pretty used already. The tile floor is old ceramic with tons of chips and stains on it. The ceiling fan is from the 1980s. We had a Palm Breeze Oceanview One Bedroom Suite with Balcony. The room was HUGE. However, it was very dirty. The ceiling fans, which are old, had a layer of dust on the edges of the blades that looked like they hadn't been cleaned in over a year. The walls had dust bunnies stuck all over them. I did not even want to touch the mini fridge in my room. Extremely dirty and old. There was rust around the inside edges and looked like it was never cleaned out. The floor had clumps of dust in all the corners and I don't think the floor is vacuumed before the floor is washed as there was hair all over it. The little nooks in the furniture have not been dusted in weeks!! All that being said, we did call the concierge to complain and the room was cleaned up a bit better the next day but not completely. The manager had also left a message for us to meet with him to discuss how we were disappointed in the "renovations" to the room. We were impressed the manager wanted to meet but we never did because we didn't want to waste our vacation time discussing our disappointments in the room. It was a great resort. Our family had a wonderful time. The staff was amazing. However, we will never go back due to the conditions of the room and the 2 hour drive from the airport.

1  Thank Amy W
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Second trip in one year to a Beaches Resort with my daughter living with autism. Our first experience at Beaches in Turks in Caicos was good so we thought we would have the same experience in Jamaica at Beaches Boscobel. Boy, were we WRONG! If patience is not your child's thing, Beaches Bosobel is NOT the place for you. First, they tell you the resort is an hour and a half drive from the airport. That is not true unless maybe there was absolutely no traffic. It took us nearly 3 hours by shuttle to get here after a long flight to get to Jamaica. Secondly, be prepared to wait for everything. The staff at Boscobel seem for it to be of no importance to please their customers or take pride in their work. The staff at Turks and Caicos truly did. You could tell they took great pride in their resort and caring for their guests. At Boscobel, it's next to impossible to get drinks with your meal at the BBQ Grill. The glasses are short, so getting a refill is at least a 20 wait, even when the grill is not crowded. The food orders take at least an hour there just for pizza and hotdogs. When you inquire about the food, you are told, "it's coming". For my child, who is triggered by hunger, this customer service style was a nightmare!
Also, this resort is much older and smaller than Turks and Caicos. In addition, the bathrooms smell like sewage in the mornings, there was male bodily fluid on the comforter, they never collected the dishes outside our rooms each night. It was very different from Turks and Caicos.
Finally, our reservation we made nine months prior to this was not accurate. We traveled here to meet our family and reserved three connecting rooms. When we got here, my husband and I had two rooms that didn't connect as we requested and our other family member's room as an the opposite end of the resort! My husband complained to the manager and we were apologized to but were told we were not guaranteed connected rooms when at booking we were promised connecting rooms. After two days, our family was moved next to us but we were totally turned off by this point.

Overall, I would never recommend this resort! I doubt if we will ever spend another dime at Beaches reorts again. If you're planning a Beaches trip, I pray you choose Turks and Caicos.

4  Thank akanikkis97
Reviewed 29 March 2013

This is our 11th time to beaches and we have had lifetime memories.The reason why we keep going back is the the staff.Our 1st time was in 2003 and there are a lot of the same staff there and that speaks volume.Ian from Elernors was outstandining along with bruce,Migel,Colette and Sidue.At the Bayside the food service were great!They couldnt do enough for.Lenox,Susan,Gracelyn,jason,Monique,Juanita,Paula,Devene,Shantollee,Odian,Bruce,Kirklon,Cameika,Milton,Kedisha,Christine.Wedding department was great with.Guelan and Michelle.Neptune Resteraunt food was great and being right on the water hit tpot.Richard,Jomo,Nata Lee and Racheda did a great job cooking lunch.The Venition was great!Delroy was fantastic along with Taywane and Bruce.Come back soon team was so helpful and friendly.Jadeane,Fione and Rupert were the best!The Front office was outstanding with helpng all of our needs,starting with Anenia,Samanta,Matthew,Shareae,Damion and Alwayne.The Spa,wished it could have been a bit bigger,but the staff was amazing and did a outstanding job.Hillery was Fantastic,along with Jackie who braided our 5year old daughters hair,which everybody stopped us and told us how good it looked.Wished the steam room worked also.Vannessa,Meliissa,Fiancia,Cecial,Naddesha,Tracey,Elizabeth,Shantel,Noreen and Andrea.The housekeeping were very clean.Karen was great along with Christine!All the managers were very friendly,We just love Francine,she worked so hard and she was so good with our Kids.Donald and all the Managers were great!Gregory was the 1st lifeguard we met our 1st year and does a outstanding job for us and everybody.Don and all the beach lifeguards were great too.Water park staff was awesome and all those lifeguards.The Chefs were great.Lawrence
was great.Romona in the kitchen was great.This is the ultimate Family vacation.This will be our 2nd time back in two months!The staff has made us feel like Family from the very 1st time we went there.That staff is the nicest people ive been around and cant do enough for my Family and I.One Love!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2013

My husband, 8 year old daughter and I visited in late February. The resort was not my cup of tea, per se, but it was clean and friendly. I think if you want to go to a resort where you can plop down in a chair at the pool, have a never-ending supply of drinks, and someone else always around to watch the kids then this may great! My daughter didn't want to go to the kids' club and I don't like to just hang out at the hotel, so it wasn't the best fit for us. We did sign my daughter up for the kid's club, but she didn't feel comfortable there. The food was good and some of the staff were absolutely amazing people- so friendly and welcoming. The spa services were pretty good, although pricey, but the staff there weren't the friendliest. The people working the Bayside buffet restaurant were incredible. At all other restaurants on site the attitude was hit and miss, but mostly miss. However, the food was much better than I expected at all of them. We stayed in a beachfront, walkout room. I liked that option very much. We were at the end nearest the water activities desk, though. The same level room at the opposite end (nearest Neptune's restaurant) would have been perfect. The beach is small and chairs can be hard to come by. We were there when there was only 60% occupancy and I can't imagine being there at a busier time. It would have been hard to enjoy any space. The beach was beautifully groomed every morning and there are toys for the kids to play with already set out. There were mosquitoes in the room and at the grounds. There weren't a lot, but bug spray might be a good idea. The water activities were a lot of fun. Again, if the resort had been closer to capacity there would not have been enough kayaks, boards, etc. to go around. My daughter did LOVE the Sesame Street characters! I thought she might be too old, but she was so happy seeing Elmo. The activities staff is not great in my opinion. We played some of the games on the beach and I think they could have been more inclusive. They were more concerned with their team winning than including all the little kids in the activities. Luckily my daughter is athletic and big for her age, but some of the others were simply left out. Not good at all. The drive to and from the airport was a little long, but wasn't bad at all. It is a good highway and there are places to stop if you need a restroom or drink.

We did take a family golf trip to the Sandals resort. It was simply beautiful. My daughter had never played before and got tips and instruction for at least 30 minutes from a simply wonderful golf pro, Bill. Super day!

Now, what I like to do on vacation is see more of where locals live. We did find a great driver with a local company (his name is Otis and we have his phone number if anyone wants it!) that took us to some areas we never would have seen if we hadn't met him. So grateful! Jamaicans are amazing people. They are genuinely kind and warm. I think even if you stay on a resort's property the rest of the vacation, you owe it to yourself to go out and meet the people for at least one day.

We went to the Taj Mahal shopping area. Wouldn't do that again or recommend it. It was dirty and cramped, the prices were high, and it was one of the only places in Jamaica that we didn't have a good experience with the people.

We went to Dolphin Cove and had a great experience! The Falls are nearby, too.

We will definitely go back to Jamaica. Just don't think we will be back to Beaches Ocho Rios. I am sure there are things I am forgetting, so feel free to ask.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We returned last night from Beaches Ocho Rios. First just let me say we had a great time! The employees at the resort are amazing. The "player" keep the kids entertained and the adults too! My kids ages 14 and 11 loved the water sports and the water park. We all thought the food was great. We made it to all the restaurants. The only issue we had was the wait. The resort was at full capacity and we waited for lunch one for almost an hour to get our food.

That leads me to the reason will NOT go back. The first day we arrived we were not able to get a chair or towel until well past 5 pm. It was just too much work for a vacation. I realized I had to get up and out before 6 am to save chairs at the pool. I was never able to get any chairs on the beach. One day I saved the chairs but didn't put up the umbrella and when we went back it was gone. As it was sunny and almost 90 this was very annoying! I also had to wait for the towels to come out at 7 am and be in line for them or we wouldn't have towels until the end of the day.

As I said the people are great! But for the amount of money we paid I expect at the very least a towel and chair. So we will not be back.

1  Thank sbrook4
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Despite a week of overcast and rainy conditions, we had a great time at Beaches Ocho Rios. Although it would have been nice to see the sun during the day, the kids were so busy with the animation team and making new friends, they barely noticed the weather.

We arrived at Montrgo Bay and took the 1.5 or so hour ride to Ocho Rios. The kids were starving once we arrived at the airport. Luckily, there was a couple of minutes to enjoy the amenities for Sandals and Beaches customers. We had a couple of pastries and a drink before boarding the bus. Our oldest son was still hungry, so he really appreciated the stop enroute for the hotel, where he got some jerk chicken to go. It is now his favourite food.

The kids started playing basketball as soon as we arrived. We were treated very well in the reception area and got into our room very quickly.

The restaurants are lovely and don't require reservations which allows you to decide when it is time to eat, where you would like to go. Our favourite was the restaurant on the waterfront.

At the buffet restaurant, the serving staff is very friendly and professional. The cook that works at the main station of the buffet is worth the price of admission. I never got his name but he is very entertaining! On a number of occasions, we had members of the animation team join us for a meal. The kids just loved that and we also found it very interesting learning more about the resort and their culture.

Renex and Fabian were absolutely amazing with our 2 boys (ages 10 and 12) and my daughter (age 8) had a great time at the kids club with Shavaughn and Tashmarie. We often didn't have any children to have lunch with and sometimes they were too busy for us at supper!

We all made new friends and the staff is included in that. The children still complain that the week that we spent there was not long enough.

Our room was lovely, overlooking the ocean. We had 2 queen beds and a cot which suited our family of 5 perfectly.

4  Thank Cheryl L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!