“major dissappointment”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Newburgh, New York
“major dissappointment”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I am in the middle of our cavation at Veaches Ocho Rios and it is a MAJOR dissapointment. I have been to Sandals and Beaches on 3 occassions and this is our fourth time. What I shock this property has been. The accomodations are poor. The restaurant by the beach is closed for renovations, the swim up bar is closed for rennovations and the Piano Bar is closed for rennovations. That being said my wife and I are always excited to get the kids in camp and enjoy some alone time. Not here. Unless your child is in the 5-7 year range there is no camp to speak of. Our 9 and 11 year old are on their own with mom and dad. If you are already booked and coming, I'm sorry. If you are contemplating, then please choose another destination or you will be dissappointed. they have disspaointed us every chance they have gotten and our last night was no different. My daughter has been excited about the chocolate buffett all day and guess what? It was just cancelled. What a surprise. This was after a day of talking to the manager about our dissapointmenet and hearing how soorry they were.

I regretfully cannot recomend Beaches to any friends or family. What ashame and a huge waste of money.

Room Tip: Choose a room atb a different proprty adn don not waste your money. signed, dissapointed from Ne...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank rich p
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
I would like to extend our most sincere apologies for your stay not meeting your expectations. Being a return guest, you know that we always strive to offer stellar experiences to our guests and it seems your stay was not indicative of the norm.

After checking with our management team on resort, I'm happy to hear that our Director of Guest Services has been in contact with you and addressed your concerns. Thank you for your review and for reaching out to us.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon for a stay that truly exceeds your expectations!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (917)
Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My family of four travelled to Beaches Ocho Rios from August 17, 2013 to August 24, 2013. From time moment we got off the plane and was escorted to the Beaches/Sandal lounge, we knew this vacation was going to be something special. The coach that brought us to the hotel was air conditioned, all of our bags were carried in and out of the hotel.

There was so much to do. My children are 9 and 13. They spent most of their time in the water whether it was at the beach, the pool or the waterslide area. My 13 year old and 9 year old opted to not do the kids or teen clubs but the "Sunny Times" provided a schedule of the days events. This is delivered to your room during "turn down" service in the evening.

We ate at all of the restaurants, and even my picky 9 year old enjoyed everything he was given to eat. It was the first time he had tried conch fritters, and he loved them. My 13 year old and myself enjoyed the "kids drink of the day". As I do not drink alcohol, this was a way for me to experience various non-alcoholic drinks. The "Ziggy Marley" was our favorite--we enjoyed it so much that we tried to repeat it at home.

The staff was exceptional. They greeted you all through the day with big smiles, and were always concerned if you needed something. Even while sitting at the pool, the staff would walk around and make sure that you were comfortable and took you drink order. The staff was constantly cleaning and mopping. There were no sandy hallways or dirty floors. The resort was immaculate.

We did not rent a cabana but the service there seemed impeccable from those that did utilize that service. You were provided with your own concierge who would take your food and drink orders, and provide you with towels.

There were always towels available at every site. My daughter spent much of her time in the "ocean". She could not get over the beauty of the water. She particularly enjoyed the banana boat and the hobie cat. We all did the glass bottom boat trip was included. It was so nice not to have to pay for the excursions on the resort property except for suba diving. My daughter also enjoyed the snorkeling excursion.

The only thing that was out of pocket was if you went off the resort. We did the dolphin encounter and bobsled excursions. Also it is customary to tip your driver to the "off resort" spots. I did not use the spa services because I try not to do things on a trip that I can do at home.

This is one trip where we would definitely return.

3 Thank Candi357
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I am an optimistic traveler. I enjoy myself everywhere I go even when things do not go as planned. I did NOT enjoy Beaches in Ochos Rios. There was no silver lining to be found. The trip started with a 2 hour shuttle ride with a faulty AC system. It was miserable but we were so looking forward to getting to the hotel we didn't let it get us down. Even when we arrived in a poorly lit dingy lobby with filthy furnishings we kept our heads up. Our hearts did begin to sink when we arrived in our room and found it dirty with popcorn and hair on the floor left over by previous inhabitants. We had no running water (couldn't flush toilet, couldn't wash hands), our bathroom door wouldn't close and there was more hair all over the bathroom floor. It took 2 phone calls and 2.5 hours to get the water back running and I am sad to report after 4 visits from housekeeping the popcorn remained on the floor until our departure 3 days later. At the Venetian restaurant that night we were the first guests to arrive yet it took 1.5 hours to receive our meal. When it finally arrived the chicken was completely uncooked in the center. The next day we went to the lunch buffet. Several items were out of stock. We told no less than 8 people while we waited at the bar for items to be replenished. It took better than twenty minutes to restock the times. Several times we considered just going to our rooms without a meal at all because nothing we had eaten had been worth a wait. Later that night we got stuck in an elevator after the hotel staff overloaded the elevator car trying to get people to our event location quickly. We pressed the emergency call button. When maintenance arrived minutes later we were asked to crawl out of the elevator between floors. When we got out of the elevator they tried to put us back in the SAME elevator to go to our event and seemed perplexed when we refused to get back on it. When we finally made it to our event, which was a wedding celebration, a guy came up a few minutes later and asked if everyone was okay and took the names and room numbers of those who were stuck in the elevator. At this point I had had enough. Not wanting to spoil my friend's celebration I decided to go to the reception and go see a manager about my issues the following morning. The following morning, there was no manager on duty when I went down so a nice fellow named Rupert patiently listened to my concerns. He took notes and promised to have the manager call me when he came in. At least 2 times Rupert called to check on us and inquire if the manager had contacted us. Each time he was surprised when I told him the manager had not contacted us. I went to reception desk and waited 20 minutes while they located the manager. To my shock the same guy who took our names and room numbers was the manager. He had not introduced himself as a manager or done anything managerial on the previous evening after we crawled out of the elevator. As such, I calmly detailed my complaints, the exact ones listed here. The manager unresponsive and took little action to improve the situation, though he did offer to call down to one of the property restaurants to make a reservation. He promised connect us with the property manager so that we could reach a resolution. I never heard from the property manager as promised. This was a miserable trip that could have been made less miserable if anyone on the management team had shown any concern for our situation or acted in anyway to improve it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
12 Thank CourtneyTi
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
We're so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. This is certainly not our standard and we would like to correct the situation and make things right. We will strive in the future to truly give our guests the best Beaches has to offer that most of our guests have had the chance to experience. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to turn this around and showcase the true luxurious experience for which we are known.

Thank you for your feedback. I look forward to making contact with you regarding this matter very soon.
Davidsonville, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This was our first Beaches experience. With five kids ranging from 2-12 in age, I was encouraged by the "something for everyone" comments on Trip Advisor. They were true. Each of us had a great time. The water park was a hit. The off-resort tours were fun and well-run. The staff was great. One suggestion would be to have the daily schedule posted throughout the resort. We would leave ours in the room and finding a copy (or a staff member who knew what time Elmo arrived at the pool) was nearly impossible. Highly recommend for families. If I was traveling with my wife only I would choose a different resort.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeff G
Brea, California
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This all inclusive property is one you would choose if you have kids . Your kids will enjoy it with Sesame Characters roaming around which you can take pictures with your kids or yourself . A lot of slides which they will really enjoy . Pool , white sand beach , a lots of food all inclusive you can choose what you want to eat . The Kids center is also free , where you can leave your kids all day and they have there own activities . Of if you choose to have their own nannies for hire @ nights .
All will really enjoy this property as the staff are really attentive and once again it's all inclusive property with Beaches .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Thank you for your great review of our resort. We're so happy to hear your excellent feedback about Beaches Ocho Rios.

We look forward to you visiting with us again!
Millville, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Our family really enjoyed our trip to Beaches- Ocho Rios. We were at first disappointed in the room we oringinally booked, but after a conversation with management, they moved us into another room without hesitation. The food was certainly above what I had expected for a family all-inclusive, as we found all meals to be very good. The hotel staff was super friendly and accomodating. Renee, our concierge, was awsome. Our children, age 8 & 10, loved the beach and waterpark. The hotel is obviously doing some renovations ( piano bar, Neptune restaurant and pool bar all closed and being worked on), but, not an inconvenience to us. Resort is nice now, and will be even better when work is completed. I would certainly recommend for a family trip!

Room Tip: choose oceanfront terrace- you will not be disappointed
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank swiftybur
Trinidad
Reviewed 3 September 2013

100% awesome for children! The kids activities were unlimited! The water park area was a blast, The banana boating was awesome!The kids camp and night time entertainment for kids is unbelievable very entertaining the kids love it! I even enjoy it! Would definitely recommend for families! If you don't have kids then I would recommend a sandals.My four year literally cried...he did not want to leave. Food at the italian restuarant was fantastic, BBQ place was great and of course Bayside. Too many great points to mention and in the end, would definitely travel to Beaches again...anyone one of them.

Room Tip: rooms located above the main lobby area have beautiful ocean view, east wing is closer to everything...
3 Thank Trinigirl2013
Thank you so much for your review of Beaches Ocho Rios. We're thrilled to hear that you and your family had such an amazing stay with us. We always strive to offer the best in family vacations and it's great that we were able to exceed your expectations!

Come back and visit again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Half Moon
Half Moon
#2 of 61 in Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Moon Palace Jamaica Grande

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!