“Resort nice, staff was wonderful.”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My family and I recently spent 8 days at Beaches in Ocho Rios. Our first time there. The staff was amazing. Our bell hop Shalleck who greeted us with so much kindness was wonderful our entire stay. He was attentive to our needs and made us feel right at home. Devon our bartender during our stay was awesome. Hanging at the pool bar was great and he was fun with the kids showing them lots of attention while he served them their Shirley Temples and milk shakes :). Gary in water sports was so sweet the entire stay and helped us to do all the water sports from banana boat rides, snorkeling trips, sailing and helped us utilize our time with maximum fun. Mike Hines in customer relations was considerate and helpful during our stay and Christopher in guest services was also very nice. Our couples massage in Red Spa was very good and we recommend booking yours. Our room was clean and renovated as described on line. Housekeeping was satisfactory. Our shuttle driver Johnny Bravo was pleasant and fun. A few negatives include: elevators very old and noisy. It made us feel a bit unsafe so we took the stairs a lot. And there are a lot of stairs all over resort. Difficult at times for us and also for those with physical challenges- we have a friend with an ankle injury who had surgery in October and he was having a hard time. Other big issue was the beach itself. Water was beautiful but so small. Big disappointment. Also, the lack of chairs available pool side and on the beach was very upsetting. My husband had to get up at 6 am each day to reserve 4 chairs with our personal items otherwise we were out of luck. The kids enjoyed the Xbox lounge but it was a lot smaller then we expected. They should consider having an attendant present though. The older kids were difficult with the younger kids trying to play and the Xbox room was down two kinect stations our entire time. They were out of order. The water park was fun for the kids but some additional attendants are needed to assure safety, pool rules and monitor toddlers. Some of which did not have a swim diaper on only a regular diaper. Restaurant service was satisfactory and the food at all the restaurants was very good. Night life kind of boring. Most stage activities done by 9 for even adults. Club Liquid small and not very entertaining. Overall, we did have a nice time, especially because of the above mentioned staff. If you do not mind a very SMALL beach it's a nice family resort for the price.
Gina and Ray

Room Tip: Request ocean view with a balcony. Some ocean view rooms only have a window not a balcony. Ask to be...
4  Thank GinaRay G
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

We regret to hear that your stay was not the great experience for which we strive to offer. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of their vacations with us. However, As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review. Since we are in a constant state of evolving our resorts and updating our amenities, I will be sure to send your feedback to the General Manager and relevant departments.

Thank you for your review. We hope to welcome you back one day and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

We just returned from our vacation at Beaches and it was fantastic. My kids are ages 8,11 and 14. We were there with three other families, with kids ranging in age from 5-14. If you are looking for a vacation with lots of activities for kids to do, this is the place.
Once we arrived at the airport, we had to take a bus to get to the property. The trip was 2 hours, which was long, but the driver kept it interesting and pointed out places and facts along the way.
The rooms were nice and clean---fine since we were only in there to sleep and shower.
As for the kids camp, my 8 year old was so excited to check it out. The camp had different activities throughout the day and you can stay there all day or pick and choose the activities. my daughter went in and out of the camp depending on how many kids were there (sometimes just 1 other, other times more) and what the activity was. She instantly bonded with the counselor, Shevaun (not sure if I'm spelling that correctly). She is the one in charge of the 8-10 year olds. Can't say enough good things about her-she's terrific. My daughter felt so comfortable with her and would only stay at the camp if she was there. My friend's 5 year old also had a blast at the camp and was excited to go back every day.
The waterpark is so much fun. The kids (even the teenagers) were there every day and truth be told, so were us adults!
In addition to the waterpark, there were so many activities to keep the kids busy. There was no chance for them to be bored. We went snorkeling, banana boating, paddle boarding etc. On several days, while we were sitting by the pool, the staff would get the kids involved in pool races, scavenger hunts and other activities. Getting chairs by the beach or pool was difficult as we have found in other resorts. When I went out at 6:30 am, most of the chairs were already taken. The resort offered excursions that you could go on, but we didn't feel like we needed something additional to do and opted not to go on any of them. My friend did go on the Mystic Mountain excursion and had good things to say about it.
The staff there is amazing! They are so friendly and so helpful. Really, every single one of them. My son and the other teenage boys had so much fun with a few of them in particular: Orando and Shanicka from the crepe bar, Chevron from Eleanor's, and Junior from the game room. On the last day, my daughters wanted a break from the sun so we went to visit the arts and crafts room. They had some really cute projects and Patricia is so sweet, patient and helpful with the kids. The girls could have stayed there all day if I let them!
As for the food, I didn't go there with high expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Some of the people we were travelling with are very particular about their food and they all were happy. There are several restaurants and we didn't have much of a wait, even when we were a large group.
One of the things I really liked about this property is it was the perfect place to give the kids some independence. It wasn't too big that they would get lost if they went somewhere without us. And while some reviews mentioned the small beach as a negative, I liked it because I knew that if the kids went down there without us (especially the younger ones) they couldn't go any further than the distance of the property. Because of that, my husband and I were able to relax without worrying about their safety.

6  Thank julie a
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Thanks for your great review! We're thrilled to hear that you and your family had an amazing time at Beaches Ocho Rios. We always strive to offer exciting and entertaining vacation experiences to all our guests, no matter the age.

We can't wait to welcome you all back in the future!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Never would have decided to stay at a place like this, but the snow storms changed our plans, and we chose to come to Beaches. I'm REALLY glad we did.
The best thing, and I'm not sure if this is a cultural trait since this was our first time to Jamaica, but almost every person who works at this resort REALLY cares if you're enjoying yourself. They more than talk the talk, they work to make sure that you are having fun. I've been to nice places before, all over the world, but have never felt this so clearly and sincerely from staff. It was delightful.
The next best thing is the camp! Our 3-yr old loved going there and I was won over immediately by Michelle and the rest of the counselors (all certified nannies - Dahlian, Dagria, Nickolin, Stacy, Bashiba). The sesame street characters make many daily appearances, and every day offers different activities. It's all set up to make things easy - you drop them off when you want, and pick up is also whenever works for your family. Nothing could be better. My 3-yr old cried when we left because she didn't want to leave.
Our teenager had a wonderful time with all of the options available to her, meaning she could have complete freedom within the grounds of the resort, and she made many friends. I enjoyed the wonderful spa twice (separate charge but definitely worth it!!), we ate very well (with very attentive service, especially from Daniel at the Bayside) and have planned our return trip already, something I never thought I would do. Beaches really surprised me! Thanks to all of the wonderful staff that work there!

Room Tip: Some rooms have terraces and some don't - and sometimes locations closer to the beach and pool a...
4  Thank mgbecker

We're so thrilled to read of your wonderful visit at Beaches Ocho Rios. It sounds like your entire stay was such a relaxing and worry-free experience. I will be sure to forward your review to our staff on resort. They will be so happy to hear of your kind mention. Thank you for your feedback.

We hope to welcome you back for another great stay in the near future.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

My daughter has a rare food allergy (corn) that can be very difficult to manage. When we arrived at the resort, Lamar the head chef at Bayside, met us in the lobby. We explained that in the US, fruits and vegetables are either gassed with ethanol or waxed with corn based products and therefore, we needed to only eat local Jamaican fruits and veggies or organic. They don't have any organic produce but lots and lots of local. We went over what was imported and what was local and she had plenty to choose from. She had about 10 fruit smoothies a day:)

Her allergy is so complicated that we had to bring some of our own food. Lamar would meet us every day at breakfast, find out where we were going for lunch and dinner and make sure that the food we had brought with us got to the right restaurant. If we were eating at Bayside, he would prepare her meal for her, if not he would follow up with us and make sure that her meals at other restaurants were made to order. He even called our room to check on her. Francis, the head chef at the Venetian was also wonderful. He took the time to come and talk to us and to my daughter and even prepared her a "to go" box in case she got hungry at midnight. All of my kids loved Davine at the Venetian too he was just great with them!

If you have a food allergy, I would highly recommend this resort, just talk to the chef at every meal (not the waiter) and keep the meals simple.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Nocornforme N

We're so happy to read that you and your family had such an amazing vacation at Beaches Ocho Rios. It's so good to hear that our highly trained chefs were able to not only meet but also exceed your expectations and provide stellar service during your stay. We always want to ensure that our guests are enjoying themselves and every need is met.

Thank you for your review. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Great family holiday. Find the creperie on the first day because the smoothies and chocolate pancakes are amazing. Also, the jerk chicken from the BBQ at the back of the water park is not to be missed.
The Bayside restaurant had everything you could wish for and would make food for the children if it wasn't on show (Mooreese was very kind). Susan the supervisor made sure we were ok every time we saw her and Ewart even brought a special cake with chocolate writing while the staff sang Happy Birthday to my husband and I had only mentioned it as an aside.
Jamika and Deana-Kay were very helpful waitresses in Bayside and their smiles were as warm as our Jamaican Blue Mountain coffees.
The rain came and went but sunshine predominated. Just watch out for the American family who reserves their beds the night before...rather naughty I felt.
Monique is a wonderful entertainer and the kids loved tie dying, the talent show and pool volleyball...not to mention unlimited ice cream, popcorn and slushes.
We will definitely return to a beaches holiday in the future.

Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Happyandfun

I'm so happy to hear that you had such a great vacation with us. It was our pleasure to make your stay a fantastic experience. I will be sure to let our staff know how impressed you were with their service. Your mention is very encouraging and helps us to ensure that we continue on this track of excellence. Thank you so much for your kind review.

We look forward to your return in the future!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We have spent several holidays here as our daughter has grown up. First of all, the place has had a large amount of improvement done over the last year or so. Where once it was looking tired, now it is far more modern. We have stayed for all except one visit in the concierge suites. Although these were excellent, I am not convinced that they offer true value for money as the service is so good throughout the whole resort and drinks are free everywhere.
The several water areas are excellent but the spa is under-used and over-priced.
The food in the main restaurant is varied and of excellent quality but the other restaurants have a more limited menu. The real high point is the standard of childcare. The activities cater well for children under 10, the staff are delightful and the Sesame Street evening show is a highlight. This is is the only Beaches which offers golf so, if one or other of you needs to escape, you should try this resort!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your kind review of Beaches Ocho Rios. We are always so happy when guests post about how excellent our service was and how they enjoyed our comfortable, friendly environment. Meeting the expectations of all our guests is so important to us and I'm glad we were able to accomplish that goal during your stays throughout the years.

We can't wait for your return!

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Just returned and had an amazing time. The staff really made our stay outstanding. We are a family of 5 with children ages 17,15 and 11 and there was something for everyone. Our two older boys got certified for scuba diving and the scuba "team" Janine, Yogi, Claude and Judy at the watersports center were all incredible!!!! They were professional and encouraging and made our boys so comfortable and motivated to complete the certification and have a great time while doing it! Marlon at the waterslide pool could not have been nicer making the day so fun for the younger kids and many adults with a crazy waterslide competition and a final show each day for the kids and adults, so much fun! Great resort in a wonderful place....Love Jamaica!

1  Thank OnthegoNewJersey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!