“Great for all ages ! Staff SO friendly & helpful ! Would go back in a heartbeat !”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed at Beaches Ocho Rios from Feb 23 - Feb 27 2014. Room 1339.

Before travelling I usually read the reviews on trip advisor and try to weigh the pros and cons.
After reading the reviews on here, the resort sounded right up our alley. It is now difficult to plan family vacations with children's ages so spaced apart (13, 4 & 1).
Beaches Ocho Rios had something for EVERYONE.
My 4 year old loved everything, from the Sesame Street characters, the waterpark, the water bikes, the nightly shows, the staff (EWART his new bff @ Bayside), the staff (including an impromptu dance lesson), the dancing, the craft club, baking cookies with Cookie Monster, face painting, balloon animals, a parade, the XBOX room and of course the beautiful weather. He is a very active boy and there was ALWAYS something for him to do and he loved every activity.

For the older kids there are larger water slides, lounging pools, local artists (if your kids like shopping), Xbox room, unlimited snacks and drinks, paddle boarding and so many other water sports. There are kids clubs for them too, but our's didn't partake.

The waterpark is perfect for the really young ones, as it has a shallow walk-in end with large (but soft) animals that squirt water. The babies can sit or stand in the water and chose to get wet if they want or not, and they don't need to be held constantly, as some kiddie pools are actually 3 feet deep. My 1.5 yr old was afraid of the characters, but I'm sure some kids would love them.

I must say the cons I was prepared for after reading the reviews were: Loud night life, No smoking areas and No vegetarian meals. NONE OF THESE WERE REMOTELY A PROBLEM.

ROOMS:
When CHRISTOPHER showed us to our room, I immediately noted that it was close to the main stage and I had requested that it not be, as my 2 younger children are very light sleepers.
Christopher said he would have no problem changing our room, but I said why don't we try it for a night and move if it's a problem. NO PROBLEM.
There was a sound machine in our room and we listened to "Oceans" every night and my kids have never slept better.

SMOKING:
Were people smoking ? I didn't even notice.

FOOD:
I am "vegan-ish" so more often than not I choose not to eat meat or dairy. I had read one review on here that said their children didn't eat meat and lived and PB & J for the majority of their stay.
There was so much I could eat and enjoyed eating.
BREAKFAST: LOVED the smoothy bar for breakfast. Fresh fruit, toast, bagels, cereal (I brought my own almond milk, perfect in their coffee). They may have dairy free milk there, I didn't ask.
LUNCH: Delicious Veggie burger and Nachos with Guacamole & Salsa at BBQ.
DINNER: Endless supply of grilled veggies, meatless pastas, rice and a huge salad bar.

DOWNSIDE: My husband and step-daughter became very ill while we were there.
At first we thought they were both very dehydrated, but now I believe my youngest was ill before we left and they just happened to contract it on the trip, as it made it's way through our family back home while we were away.
They both visited the nurses station at various times for IVs and regular check ups.
LATANYA the nurse was the nicest person ever. She made frequent room visits and phone calls and did everything in her power to help them get well and stay comfortable.
She even arranged a private shuttle back to the airport, filled with water & juice, for just our family in case we needed to stop. She was the sweetest person and you could tell she really cared. If you have to be sick on a vacation. This is the place to be sick.

With my husband and step daughter ill, that left me alone on vacation with 2 small kids.
Did I say alone ? because truly I was NOT.
DAMION & CARLOS at the Bayside actually sat with my boys so that I could go get their meals (and my own) and when I returned CARLOS had cut up my 1 year old's meal and was spoon feeding him !!! So nice. When I told him he didn't need to do that, he said it's okay, and that I needed to eat too. SO SWEET. It's too bad tipping isn't allowed because they would have got a big one.

Everyone was so accommodating with me having to bring food back to our room for the sick ones (yes they did offer to bring it for me, but there was no need).

CONS: (Not related to the resort) FILL OUT YOUR ENTIRE CUSTOMS FORM ON THE PLANE!! THE WHOLE THING!! We were turned away 4 times. If they just said fill out the whole thing, we would have.

Long shuttle ride from the airport - however, our driver "SHORTY" chose not to stop for a break, so our ride was only 1.5 hrs. Not too bad.

If it's possible to just show you to your room when you get there, that would really help. After the long plane & shuttle ride, once we finally got to the resort, they give everyone a sweet drink and go through the registration process. Well my kids went squirrely and were climbing the furniture and trying to run away. I didn't hear much of what was being said as I way too busy trying to contain them.

Speaking of keeping kids contained. There needs to be child safe locks on the doors. My 1.5 year old could open the door to our room no problem. Even if you lock it, it just unlocks when you turn the handle. We stacked our suit cases in front of the door, to stop our little ones.

OVERALL: Amazing family resort with everything so close, so much to do, no-one can complain the they are "bored", delicious food, beautiful weather, friendly and helpful staff everywhere. Perfect for families of all sizes and all ages. Would love to go back (and be there there right now)

Room Tip: Our room was 1339 and very close to the stage and bar and we had no complaints. Beautiful View ! Kee...
4  Thank J0Gal
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Thank you so much for you wonderful review of Beaches Ocho Rios. We have spent a lot of time developing and improving our resort and we're so thrilled to read that you enjoyed your time with us. Our amazing staff will be so encouraged to hear of your kind mention.

We look forward to welcoming you back for an even better experience in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,342)

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Travelled to Beaches from FEB25-MAR04 with wife and 3 year old. Having visited many of the other Beaches, Sandals properties I was looking forward to getting the same level of service, amenities. First off, Jamaica as an island is fantastic. The people are "usually" quite friendly and helpful but not in that "looking to make a buck kinda a way". We felt it was genuine here.

Arrival/Jamaica - we purchased the MOBAY passes to bypass the lines both ways. Flew in on a weekday and didn't save much time but was great to have the service as Customs is usually a fairly slow process. Through the airport, with bags at the Sandals/Beaches counter in about 15 mins max. Unfortunately had to wait for next transfer to resort which is about 2hrs from the airport. Only took them about 10-15minutes to have it ready and it was just us and another family (8 people in total). I find this part is a bit of a crap shot with Sandals/Beaches. The buses are contracted to a 3rd party - the first one was disgusting with broken seats, peeling window tints, bad AC. Moved to 2nd bus as the other people they were waiting for didn't come through, this bus was better. Again - this is a complimentary service by BEACHES but if you have a good sized group and want to get out as quick as possible it may be worth paying for a private transfer.

Arrival/Resort - Check in online and this should go slightly faster - in the room within 15 minutes, Usual drink/towel service. This has improved significantly from the past were you would be sitting by the front lobby for 30-45mins easy.

Rooms - we moved rooms a couple of times just to accommodate a light sleeper (daughter). Both sets of rooms by the lobby ( I think the 1200,1300s) are larger rooms with great large balconies. Be aware that the main stage is very close to some of these. Shows run until 10pm-ish so with early sleepers I would suggest rooms closer to the Waterpark if possible.

The resort also has rooms by the Beach - these are Greek themed and very nice - close proximity to the water is fantastic - some steps to get to main level buffet, shows, water park or beachfront restaurants, creperie, gym. I would have accepted a beachfront here with one minor issue. The rooms here are significantly smaller than the Caribbean area, and do not have fully private balconies, patios. All rooms have their own chairs and pool loungers but there is an open walkway in front of all of them which is shared. Great accessibility but means that you will more often than not have your blinds/shades fully closed as you will always have someone walking/peeking directly into your room. As well, there is a weekly beachparty from around 8-10pm which will mean about 100 people right smack in front of your room for that night.

As well, on one corner of the resort there is a French Village with a small number of rooms perched right by the water. This building also houses the Spa, Eleanor's, Neptune's, Creperie, and Gym. There is also a small pool used mostly by Scuba classes which is otherwise empty 90% of the time. We personally found this the best hidden secret here - if you are trying to run away from the crazy crowds. You would be one set of steps from the beach and within easy access of pool, drinks, food.

AMENITIES - Waterpark - amazing, we could have left our daughter here for the week and she would have been content. Only open from 10-5pm but worth it. Somewhat limited number of loungers but more on this later.

Main Pool - also amazing, right beside main stage, bar and main buffet. You could always just jump in and great if you are the socializing type. Everyone quite friendly and the staff are fantastic with the kids.

Beach - I originally was a little bummed that the beach is so small - which it is, about a 2 minute walk from one end to the other. But as the week passed on this was actually a bonus. The sands is very fine, no waves, and turquoise water. The Watersports crew works tirelessly to clear any weeds that show up. From what I saw this only happens if it rains overnight. Beach chairs are unfortunately tough to get but again - more on this later.

KIDS CLUB - Right by the entrance to the resort. Great staff, clean setup. There also is a arts and craft centre (at a cost - but reasonable). They do quite a bit with the kids. There are shows almost nightly and each character also does specific things - cooking with Cookie Monster, Tea time with Zoe, Story time with Elmo, etc. As well, there is a weekly parade that the kids can take part off (parents also) which was loads of fun.

WATER ACTIVITIES - Again, following everything else - the watersports team was very friendly and willing to accommodate you on whatever you wanted to do - glass bottom boat, snorkel trips, kayaks, banana boats, pedal boats, etc. This was very different from other resort where it feels like you are inconveniencing them every time you show up at the counter. We had a glass bottom tour booked one morning after a nightly rain. We knew that the sea would be choppy - other places would have just cancelled it. The captain instead still took us out and explained the situation, took us to 2 different sites where we could jump in, swim, snorkel. Fun for all.

SPA - N/A to us on this trip.

BARS - Probably had 3 drinks the whole week but again - super friendly and helpful staff. First night I was looking for milk for my daughter and stopped by the bar. Bartender gave me a full carton of milk and said to come back anytime for more. Also noticed how they would try super hard to give the kids special "fancy" drinks - Shirley Temple's, etc.

RESTAURANTS - Having been to their properties before I knew what to expect. This resort has a buffet, French, Seafood, Creperie, BBQ Pit/Pizza place, Buffet, and a bunch of bars. Everything was quite good and they worked hard to assist with my wife's Gluten free diet. You won't be blown away by any of the meals but the kids won't go hungry. Selection is decent and all restaurants have made an effort to put a kids' menu as well. If your child is picky let them know as they are always more than willing to step outside the menu to accommodate you. From a kids' perspective the BBQ Pit/Pizza Place was a winner. They have a patio overlooking the whole resort that has beautiful vistas. We found the main buffet a bit tired for lunch but decent for breakfast and possibly some dinners - just check as they switch nights - Mexico night was very good. Another tip - Creperie has breakfast from 830AM onwards and it seemed to be empty most mornings.

TIPS:

- Loungers on the beach, pool, waterpark. These are always saved with towels, toys, shirts, etc. I originally was that guy that is super judgemental and would say why do people need to be so selfish about chairs but unfortunately in this resort you have to be. For the most part it was the families with small children that saved chairs under the shaded beach umbrella things. I joined the club early. By 630AM all great spots are taken. I started going to the beach just before putting our daughter to bed - 930-10pm and saving beach chairs this way. Always available by the water. Unfortunate but had to be done - the sun is super hot and there really aren't many hiding spots.

- Restaurant reservations - we ate dinner every night at around 6pm. Most children's shows started at 7pm so we were working with a limited time frame. If you are going for a show let them know - they will work hard to get you out. If you are going as a couple or with older kids you could have a long, relaxed 2-3hr dinner but we preferred the in/out and spend more time outside. Eleanor's was probably the slowest of all restaurants, Neptune's and Venetian were good. If you show up for dinner by 7-8pm unfortunately you will wait probably 15-45 mins for a table.

Finally - on a comparison with other children's properties - Beaches Turks, Club Med Punta Cana, Sensatori Azul. This resort is not as good as Turks - not much is - Turks and Caicos still takes #1 for a family vacation with small children. The price point unfortunately is also prohibitive. Depending how much you pay for Beaches Ocho Rios it may be worth it. As much as I loved it I would still recommend CM Punta Cana over this property as the beach is fantastic and the food is actually better.

cheers

6  Thank Nicolas D

We are delighted to read that you and your family had a wonderful visit at our resort. We want every guest to have an amazing experience with us, especially our return guests. Our regular visitors have very high expectations as they know our standard and I am happy that we were able to meet those expectations during your visit. Thank you for your review. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We had one of the best family vacations ever! What a beautiful place to vacation. There was never a dull moment. From the water sports, pools, entertainment for all ages. Our kids had a great time. Ages 10, 14.. The resort is so clean and the people so incredibly friendly. They take pride in their jobs and above all EVERY ONE OF THEM SMELL GOOD. I truly asked if it is a prerequisite to work there. They said we take pride of our island and smelling good is important. I completely agree. There is nothing worse then stinky people. We would like to thank the entire staff for going above and beyond for making our stay so enjoyable. Our room keeper Kayden for doing such a great job everyday. Sasha and Orando at Josephine cafe for great crepes. Even better conversation. Natalee & Deena K getting a special meal prepared for my hubby. He felt like King of the night with his Jamaican meal. Davin, Marshane, Carlos, Damian Devin and Gary was always a pleasure to be around. The staff at this resort are truly amazing. Such a relaxing, peaceful vacation. Thank you!

1  Thank DreamsofGoldenSky

Thank you so much for your great review of Beaches Ocho Rios. I'm glad that we were able to provide excellent service and excitement for your family. We are always delighted to know that we met our standard as well as your expectations by offering amazing customer service in a fun and relaxing environment.

See you when you return!

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Everything is excellent, service is good, people are kind, restaurants and food are very good. All the water sports are fun especially the banana boat. We went to Josephine's and Miguel made us a new crepe that includes cherries, grapes, strawberries and whipped cream topped with cherry brandy that was delicious and we would recommend it. I would rate it 5 out of 5. We have already booked a trip for next year!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Ginaclark6335

Thank you for your great review of Beaches Ocho Rios. It's very encouraging when guests post about how excellent our service was and how they enjoyed our comfortable, friendly environment. We always want to meet the expectations of all our guests and I'm happy we were able to accomplish that goal during your stay.

We look forward to your return. Happy travels!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Just Returned from a week long stay at Beaches Ocho Rios. This was our first trip to a Beaches Resort but being a Sandals Diamond Member we had just a great vacation. Fantastic weather. The Beach was just great as well as the Swimming pools. Neptunes, Elenors as well as the BBQ restaurant was fantastic. I would like to send a few shout out to all the great employees who made our trip fantastic. Thanks so much to Sasha and Delino for the great Candlelight dinner on the Beach. What a romantic touch. Davin thanks for being such a great Server for both of Karen's birthday dinners. Davin is such a great Server in all ways and goes out of his way to make sure your Dining pleasure is just great. The Watersport Team is just the greatest. A shout out to Judy, Yogi and Donald.......... Donald thanks for the great Banana Boat ride. Amoy, Camille and Colet thanks for all the great service at Neptunes. The service and food was just superb. Juan thanks so much for the Special dinner, Karen enjoyed the Lobster so much she cannot stop talking about it. A big shour out to all the Front Desk Staff as well along. A big shout out to Ramel........... without your help the stay would not have been so FANTASTIC. Thanks so much. Ruth and Delino as well......... thanks so much.

This resort was just great, The room (2303) was so superb, always kept clean, and Karen always went out of her way to make things perfect. Thanks Nalla for being there when we needed you.

I want also to send a big shout out to Justin in the Concierge department. What ever was needed justin was always there for us. Try the BBQ restaurant for great pizza as well as a great view of the Ocean.

Thanks as well to Zane at the Paridise Bar........... after the first night he knew what our drink was and had it ready before we had sat down.

If you have any questions about Beaches Ocho Rios, send me a message and I will be glad to answer any questions.

thanks again Beaches..............Our stay was superb.

Ramel keep up the great work. YOU ARE THE BEST

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Ocean view from our room. 2300 Level is just great
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank savard

Sounds like you had an amazing vacation and I'm glad we were able to be a part of your experience. Our staff is one of a kind and I'm happy they were able to make such a great impression during your stay. It was a pleasure having you as our guest.

Thank you for your review. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We had a great time last week in Jamaica! It really is a great place for families and my sons (ages11,8 and 3) equally found it wonderful and age appropriate!
The highlight of our visit was the older boys getting to experience scuba diving for the first time. Prince, in the dive shop, was just amazing with our boys! He made them feel so special and took time to really help them. They want to return just to see and dive with him again!
The staff were all wonderful and they worked so hard to make sure we had a great time!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Elizabeth H

We're thrilled to read that you and your family had such an amazing vacation with us at Beaches Ocho Rios. We always strive to offer fun and exciting experiences for our guests of all ages and we're glad you all had a fantastic stay!

Thank you for your review. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My family and I recently spent 8 days at Beaches in Ocho Rios. Our first time there. The staff was amazing. Our bell hop Shalleck who greeted us with so much kindness was wonderful our entire stay. He was attentive to our needs and made us feel right at home. Devon our bartender during our stay was awesome. Hanging at the pool bar was great and he was fun with the kids showing them lots of attention while he served them their Shirley Temples and milk shakes :). Gary in water sports was so sweet the entire stay and helped us to do all the water sports from banana boat rides, snorkeling trips, sailing and helped us utilize our time with maximum fun. Mike Hines in customer relations was considerate and helpful during our stay and Christopher in guest services was also very nice. Our couples massage in Red Spa was very good and we recommend booking yours. Our room was clean and renovated as described on line. Housekeeping was satisfactory. Our shuttle driver Johnny Bravo was pleasant and fun. A few negatives include: elevators very old and noisy. It made us feel a bit unsafe so we took the stairs a lot. And there are a lot of stairs all over resort. Difficult at times for us and also for those with physical challenges- we have a friend with an ankle injury who had surgery in October and he was having a hard time. Other big issue was the beach itself. Water was beautiful but so small. Big disappointment. Also, the lack of chairs available pool side and on the beach was very upsetting. My husband had to get up at 6 am each day to reserve 4 chairs with our personal items otherwise we were out of luck. The kids enjoyed the Xbox lounge but it was a lot smaller then we expected. They should consider having an attendant present though. The older kids were difficult with the younger kids trying to play and the Xbox room was down two kinect stations our entire time. They were out of order. The water park was fun for the kids but some additional attendants are needed to assure safety, pool rules and monitor toddlers. Some of which did not have a swim diaper on only a regular diaper. Restaurant service was satisfactory and the food at all the restaurants was very good. Night life kind of boring. Most stage activities done by 9 for even adults. Club Liquid small and not very entertaining. Overall, we did have a nice time, especially because of the above mentioned staff. If you do not mind a very SMALL beach it's a nice family resort for the price.
Gina and Ray

Room Tip: Request ocean view with a balcony. Some ocean view rooms only have a window not a balcony. Ask to be...
4  Thank GinaRay G

We regret to hear that your stay was not the great experience for which we strive to offer. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of their vacations with us. However, As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review. Since we are in a constant state of evolving our resorts and updating our amenities, I will be sure to send your feedback to the General Manager and relevant departments.

Thank you for your review. We hope to welcome you back one day and exceed your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!