“Experienced Traveler - Loved it!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
St. Paul, MN
“Experienced Traveler - Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2008

I have been reading reviews of this resort since June ~ and was becoming increasingly nervous with all the negative reviews as our trip was approaching in October. Let me just clear up the misconception - there is NOTHING to worry about! It is a beautiful resort in a beautiful location! Was it perfect? No. In my 15 years of traveling, have I ever had a PERFECT vacation? NO!

The pool was great and never too busy. Same with the ocean/beach area. Yes, it is relatively small, but never crowded and it is that much easier to keep an eye on your children. The banana boat rides are offered everyday and you can go numerous times if you'd like. Glass bottom boat and snorkeling must be signed up the day before. The water slides were great and the lifeguards were very attentive.

Our room was just as described and expected. We had a beautiful patio overlooking the ocean (premium room - I would recommend making that small upgrade and calling ahead to request a patio/balcony and ocean view). The thermostat is right in the room so you can have it is cool as you would like. We rarely heard any neighbors so it was relatively quiet.

The nightly entertainment was loud and carried across the whole resort, but they respectfully stopped between 10-10:30pm every night. The Sesame Street shows and characters were an absolute delight.

The food was great -- the buffet had numerous selections and everything was prepared fresh. The Arizona was also great for a mid-day luncheon and dinner. The Venetian is great for an airconditioned, delicious dinner. All facilites had excellent wait staff and customer service.

We took one excursion to Dunn's River Falls and that is a MUST SEE/DO. Absolutely breathtaking and a nice break from the routine at the resort.

The Kids Kamp was great. Our 8 year old daughter begged to go everyday. Our 3 year old son is a bit more attached but we also left him on 3 occasions and he thouroughly enjoyed himself. We had a nanny come to our room one night for a couple hours and that was fine as well. You will quickly notice the nannies and child care staff are very compassionate, inviting and nurturing. No worries there!

I hope this gives some of you with an upcoming vacation relief!
We would definitely return!

• Liked — Beach and Pools/Waterslides
4 Thank palmtreelover49

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (903)
illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2008

After reading all the negative reviewsabout this resort, we were very nervous about our reservation. However, we had the best vacation ever. We were greeted in the airport and taken to a special lounge for Sandals/Beaches resorts only. We were offered refreshments and a place to relax. We waited approximately 15 minutes and our transportation was ready. We had our own bus and the bus driver was very friendly. He even stopped along the way to get us a snack, per our request because we had not eaten lunch. The ride to the resort was uneventful and not nearly as terrifying as we anticipated. We were disappointed that it was raining but the driver told us that by 1:00 the rain would be gone. Unbelievably, he was exactly right. The drive was only 1 1/2 hours and we were greeted at the resort with rum punch (both alcoholic and nonalcoholic were available). Our bags were taken to our room and from that point on, we did nothing but relax. Our rooms were unexpectably large, with a special area with a couch and a large balcony. They were very nice rooms and we were given any extra perks that we asked for including a crib and extra water stocked in the room for baby bottles. We were considered to be in a premium family room, which is not one of the top notch rooms. We changed clothes immediately and headed for the pools because that is what our kids had been talking about all day. We were greeted at the pools with refreshments and unlimited drinks. The resort was absolutely beautiful and the pools were fantastic. There was nothing negative at all to say about the resort. My husband and I have been to numerous resorts in the Caribbean and this was by far the nicest. The shows were incredible, both for kids and adults. I couldn't believe the entertainment because usually the shows at resorts are average, at best. We attempted to go to bed early every night because the kids were exhausted, but we could not drag ourselves or our kids away from the shows.

We spent the majority of our time at the waterpark because it was a blast. I thought the slides would be for small children, but I was wrong. They are thrilling for the old and young at heart. The beach was nice, but I have seen better. They had very nice beach accomodations (chairs and umbrellas) but it was small. Our kids loved it though and so did we. My husbad even bought me a massage on the beach our last day which was half the price they initially quoted him at the beginning of our trip.

The food was very good. Our favorite food was from the Italian restaurant. The atmosphere at Eleanors was also wonderful and the food was exquisite. Snacks were availabe all day and night as well as unlimited ice cream. They have a kids area in the main dining room which has small chairs and table and a small smorgasboard with plastic plates where they can get their own food. My kids loved this!!!!

I can not say enough about the staff. We were treated wonderfully by all. My kids baked cookies with cookie monster, danced with characters, etc. I was not worried about my kid's safety at all. The staff was wonderful with our children and not one of them would walk by our infant without making over her. We did not utilize the babysitting services but we talked with another couple who did and their kids never wanted to leave. This couple had also visited other Beaches resorts in Jamaica and said that Boscobel was the best thus far.

We went out on a limb and rented our own taxi for the day to take us to Dunns River Falls and Ocho Rios for shopping. That was a wonderful experience. They met us outside the gates and picked us up. It cost us $130.00 for the entire day and this included two taxis for 12 people. They would drop us off at different locations and would pick us up at the times we asked. They were always early. They also insisted that we not pay them until they dropped us back off at the resort. We felt very safe even with four children under the age of 5. The locals love tourists as that is their main source of income.

My husband and I went out one night to the Piano Bar and had the best time. The bartender Godfrey was wonderful and provided us with fantastic entertainment. He made all these unusual drinks, including one that was on fire. This night was definitely unforgettable.

I can not say enough good things about this resort. We are from an upper middle class background and are usually very particular about our vacations. The housekeepers were great. I entered our room one day and found one of them on all fours in our bathtub scrubbing it down in perfectly manicured and creased uniforms. They also reentered the rooms at night to turn down the covers and leave an itineray of the next days' events on the bed. This was by far the best vacation we have ever taken. My kids are constantly asking to go back and inside my husband and I feel the same way!!!!

5 Thank izzyIllinois
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2008

My boyfriend and I (25 years old) went to this resort and stayed a week. We thought everything was great! I guess we're not as hard to please as other people posting reviews.... ??? Anyway - here's a review broken down:

The ride to and from the airport is long - 2 hours - but what can you do about it... nothing -- so don't complain. The bus was small, but it was air-conditioned and they ask 1/2 way through the ride if anyone needs a bathroom break.

We checked in, our bags were taken to our room, and a bellman took us to our room. The front desk didn't really tell us where anything was, but you walk around and find out - or ask them -- don't just expect them to tell you.

Our room was nice, clean. The AC didn't seem to work though - it was stuck at 75*.

We thought the food was great. Elenor's had great food- very fancy. The buffet restuarant was good - as it had a different theme each night. So one night was Asian food, one night was Italian, Seafood, Jamaican, etc. If you try hard enough, you won't eat the same thing twice. The Mexican and Italian restuarants were OK. The BBQ place was a BBQ joint - burgers, chicken, ribs, etc and was open inbetween lunch and dinner should you need a snack.

All of the bars were great. No complaints.

The beach was a little small - but big enough. All of the water sports were great. The pools were good too - waterpark was fun and entertaining. They have a gym as well.

There are a lot of stairs around the whole resort.

The entertainment was fun. It went until 10 pm - then there is a 'disco' and piano bar that is open until 2am. We were more concerned about making the most of our days - esp. since we were drinking all day - so being up until 2am was not a concern of ours. They do have a bus that goes to Margaritaville some nights during the week if you wanted to do that.

We went at the end of September. The resort was probably 30% full because kids are just going back to school. It was a great time to go.

The weather was good. Only rained one day on and off all day.
The staff were really nice and knew us by name by the time we left.

We would definitely go back.

• Liked — food, activities, waterslides, staff, beach
  • Disliked — low AC, lots of stairs, long way from airport
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gonesomewherewarm
Pa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2008

Overall our experiance was good, friendly people good food. Arizona was good for lunch but terrible for dinner, very dark. The buffet was good at times also, but it was hit and miss. The morning fresh omelets were very good. The room was soaked the first night from the humidiy, they fixed our air as soon as we complained. The rooms were clean and spacious, great balcony/views.

The beach was tooooooo small - clean - but small, you were roped in so could not go out deep and there were Jamaicans trying to sell you stuff over the rope, so you basically could only go up to your waist with out being harrassed. On the side line where you sign up for watersports people were yelling to sell you "Stuff" and braid your hair. One Jamaican called my 13 yr old, fine white young blood.....that comment made me sick.

A man had what I think was a heart attack and the lack of medical personal was unreal! Hotel guest were the ones performing CPR and it took what seemed like an hour to even get a Dfib over to him. - no ambulance for along time.

The employees are not allowed to acceot tips, but some were deserving and we did slip them some. We actually got plates of food for one employee who was very hungry. The employees work very hard there and it would be nice to see them enjoy a meal.

Showtime was great - they kept us very entertained and kids camp was good as well, I did once hear one employees calling a little girl a "Trouble maker" and the "Ring leader" but she may have been deserving.

There are fountains for kids to get ice cream and soda - loaded with bees - but I guess that can't be prevented.

The water park was great - clean and fun.

BBQ Park was great - very fast service.

Eleanors - not worth the hype

Venetian - Fantastic..

My tokens for the laundry got stuck in the washer and maint. never came to help - finally the front desk just gave me a new one.

Water sports were fun accept - when we snorkeled, the boat left us there and went to shore - thank god there wasn't an emergency.

I would visit Beaches again - but not in Jamaica.

1 Thank Gedfamfour
illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2008

There were a total of 10 of us my husband and I renewed our vows and brought our children and grandchildren we had a wonderful time, However we left our grandsons car seat there on the insistance that we leave it at the front desk during our stay I thought someone should have reminded us at check out anyway I have called and been told I would get a call back that was a week ago . So I e-mailed the manager as to a few items left behind and my paying for the car seet to be shipped and the manager is still not resoponding to my two e-mails apparently after your trip is over they do not care what happens !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So far we are out a car seat a bag of make up a pair of Nike flip flops and two cd's used as our wedding music since I cannot get a response I guess we have lost these items, You would think they would contact me about the car seat supposidly behind their front desk ! Do they not know we have been home for a week and as for the young lady who I spoke to I suppose she is still checking out the shipping on the car seat 1 week later ! As she still has not called me back as promised .

• Liked — plenty of room
  • Disliked — rooms were warm
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2008

Problems we had . . .
* TRAVEL - we arrived by van and were taken to our room with no information. We walked around the resort like lost kids trying to see where things were. Finally, I asked a worker what time dinner was, (6:30 - ugh!), and I was told orientation is everyday at 10:00 & 5:00pm ....we were never told this.

* ROOMS - our room floor was very dirty and while my daughter took a nap, I was on my hands and knees cleaning. Hair everywhere - gross! They only mop the floor so the dirt/hair is just moved from place to place. The CRIB was from 1920 and thank gosh I brought my own sheet/bumper pads. The BEDS are very small and hard as a rock. HOUSEKEEPING - great - except the floor.

* FOOD - the food was just ok and the only meal we looked forward to was breakfast and salad. It was VERY hard to feed my two kids lunch and dinner and there really was nothing appetizing to them. The ARIZONA at dinner was gross, and so dark you could not see your menu. The outside BBQ was sooooo slow and the kids were not happy waiting (about 30 minutes one day). The BAYSIDE had odd stuff all the time.

* SERVICE - food service was great, but everyone else seemed to keep to themselves.

* BEACH - small, small, and small. Water stung and burned the crap out of your eyes. Broken shells everywhere so I had to carry my daughter most of the time.

* WATERPARK - great!!!

* There is NOTHING for children to do under the age of 3 or 4 - except swim and go to kids camp (if you want to place them there). They need a playground or something for young ones to do. My daughter was up by 6:30am - breakfast was not until 7:30am...hard to keep her busy!

* STROLLERS - don't bother. There are stairs everywhere and I spent more time carry the stroller in one hand and my daughter in the other hand.

Would I GO BACK?????..... nope :(

• Liked — The beautiful views.
  • Disliked — Boring for children under 3
Houston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2008

The characters were very easy to access and the kids loved the pools and the beach. Everything else was also perfect, with the only exception being the sagging old beds in the rooms.

• Liked — Beach, Pools, and Sesame Street Characters
  • Disliked — Beds
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,987 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!