“Another amazing experience at Beaches Ocho Rios”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We just returned from our second trip to Beaches, Ocho Rios and we miss it already. The resort is very nice and everything is easily accessible. But the best reason to stay here and what keeps us coming back is the amazing staff! Everyone in every department is friendly and goes out of their way to make you feel welcome and a part of the family. We have our favorites, but a very special shout out and thank you to the bartenders, Orville, David, Rupert and Richard. The 'Players' staff with Orville and Junior and everyone in the Concierge Dept., I.e. Dervil, Richardo, Norman, Eric, etc...but as I said we have our favorites...we feel like these people are now part of our family and if they are still at Beaches next year so will we. The players staff are really there to make the kids experience the best it can be, but we found that they made the adult experience the best as well. A special shout out to our Jamaican Family of Jamelia, Monique and new for us this year, Damarley. They are all very special people and without them Jamaica would not be the same. We are so fortunate to have been able to really get to know them at Beaches. They are people that we will always be friends with. My kids adore them and already miss them like crazy. And I also want to thank one of our favorite bartenders and wait staff of Zane, Ramone, Ripton, Sabrina, and Presley. Zane you are a great guy and great at what you do and you will be missed. However, my favorite bartender is my man, Cleveland in the Piano Bar. Cleveland may actually be the best bartender I have ever encountered anywhere. He is more than a bartender, he is a friend. He is very aware and observant. It doesn't matter how busy he is, he is attentive to everyone's needs. He truly loves his job and cares about the guests. He keeps us coming back and I am proud to call him a friend. The hotel itself may need a few updates and renovations (which one wing was undergoing this week), but it's the people that really make the vacation and for that, if they are still there we will be coming back. Thanks again to all of our Beaches friends! As a side note, I would also say the food is very good. Probably the best all inclusive food you will find anywhere. And a special thank you to Delino and Debbie. We had a mix up with our room the first day and although it was nothing they personally did, they both went out of their way to try and fix the issue and make things right.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Our choice of going to Beaches was mainly due to our seven year old daughter. She had a blast. The resort, staff, water park, entertainment, food and service were simply the best you will ever experience anywhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the water park.
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed with family at beaches for march break 2014.
Just wasn't impressed. Extremely expensive for what you get. We have stayed at several club meds and in comparison, beaches was 2.5 times the cost, the food wasn't nearly as good, there were far less activities etc. the beach is the size of a postage stamp and if you want a chair be prepared to get up at dawn to go through the annoying ritual of putting towels etc on chairs to reserve them.
Rooms were ok, try to get the ones on the veranda ie facing the beach.conceirge sbc was quite good. Drive from the airport almost two hours......

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Robert W
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Beaches Ocho Rios – June 5-12, 2014 & June 16-24, 2014 (long)

The trip down to Montego Bay on June 5 went rather smoothly. I was offered a great rate for upgrading to Business Class on both ends of the trip, so I did not pay extra for bags, and I had a nice breakfast and some entertainment on DirecTV.
Customs wasn’t backed up, but I did get asked a lot of questions for coming back in 60 days.

After a short wait in the Sandals and Beaches lounge, I was taken to a van. Everyone that came on board was an adult. The driver insisted I come sit by him since I was by myself. It was difficult to climb up front, but I went up there.

When we were not too far from Ocho Rios, the driver stopped for the restroom. At this point, I learned the bus was also going to both sides of Sandals before going to Beaches ! I was thinking the stop would be short and that we would be to Sandals soon, so I did not get out for the restroom. Well, we ended up being there about 45 minutes, and the driver had locked me in! I was getting claustrophobic feelings.

The two ladies that were also going to Beaches were trying to get to a pre-wedding event with their group. I was trying to meet with someone at a specific time. Because we had to go all over to Sandals, the time continued to go by.

Most of the management, concierge, watersports, and food and beverage staff know me. I was miffed at the ride up, but I soon moved on. Concierge check-in started in the lobby with the concierge there and continued down to the concierge office. All of the requests I made in advance had been received and had been honored or were in the works. It was great to see the great staff, and it is always hard to leave that little room of smiling faces!

My room was in Chelea Bay, as it usually is. It was room 3205. Although I like the suite that has 1 ¾ baths vs this one that has a single bath, I do enjoy being able to walk right out to the French Village pool and the smoothie bar and creperie. I have stayed in this room a few times now. It is convenient to Neptunes, the gym, the beach and Eleanors, and you can walk across and go to the concierge lounge and further on to the Oppa Bar steps. Also close by are the Red Lane Spa and the piano bar.

I’ve stayed at Beaches Ocho Rios many times. No matter who is in charge, since the doors opened as Beaches in 2002, I’ve always seen that guests from birth to late in life were treated as wanted guests, friends, and family. It’s something that always stays even if something else has a short-time downfall or whether the occupancy is high or low. That being said, neither the General Manager nor Hotel Manager spoke to me or looked for me in any of my days at the resort. One or the other or both were off property during part of my stay. The Sales Manager, Ruth Garnett and her staff and the Concierge staff took great care of me, however.

I’d like to make a list of people that made my two stays in June special.

Ruth Garnett & staff – Ruth, Dean Paul and the rest of the Sales staff always look after me. This trip, I had some complicated business needs, and Ruth did whatever it took to assist me in every way. From reaching out to St. Lucia, to helping with two birthday cakes to helping me with my day to day needs, they worked with me.

Baby J and the watersports staff – it is a rare day that I have time to snorkel and do a half day or more of watersports, but when I do, I love it, and I love all the offerings at Beaches.
I had a local friend in for a birthday who had never been snorkeling. We couldn’t get onto the afternoon snorkel because the people in front of us took the last slots. However, Baby J told us to show up for her children’s dive and let us snorkel. My friend was overwhelmed with excitement and was anxious to look into pursuing diving at some point. Meanwhile, we enjoyed the banana boat.

Cleveland at the piano bar – he is just such a great person and so easy to talk to and good at his craft. Others in the bar department of note – Richard, Shaun, Marsha, Tamisha, Aaron, and Dave. I’ve known them all from past trips, some for many years. It is so great to see them smiling and doing their thing!!

Eric, Justin and the concierge team. They take great care of me and other guests.

Sasha and LaToya in entertainment, Camille in dining and Jerome, Chef Frances.

When I first arrived, there were four or five large groups in house. Lots of staff and management were working extra hours to work the functions of these groups and to cater to all of the other guests in-house.

My last stay at the resort was 12/15 – 12/21/2013. Since that time, Mr. Green came back as the Food and Beverage Director. Things had improved from the December visit in a number of areas. However, there were some inconsistencies between the two stays.

Of note was the great improvement over December at Neptune’s. From nuts to bolts, the operation has been improved out there. It was a nice place for lunch. It’s popular at dinner. The restaurant is oceanside, so it’s a great location.

Eleanor’s was back up to where it used to be also. Service was exceptional, and food was creative and delicious. Both times I had dinner inside, but you can also get a table outside overlooking the French Village pool area and the ocean.

I had arranged a spa day for a friend’s birthday and used it myself when the friend couldn’t come. I had a lovely massage (it has been a while) and a great pedi on the rocks with shellac and a mani on the rocks. I brought some stickers for nail art from home. When I was in the Bahamas, I discovered a great product for hands. It is called Sparitual hand serum. Just a couple of drops on each hand will have long lasting results. I bought some more of that. Generally, I have found anything from Sparitual is a quality product.

The theme nights have been all changed around. Sadly, the very popular bonfire with roasted marshmallows and s’mores has been removed. This was such a lovely event enjoyed by all. I hope it will make a return. The resort now has the normal beach party. It is well done but not my thing. Something new is a family buffet on the Venetian Terrace. This is on Wednesday in place of the bonfire night. Many of the items from Venetian, along with international items are served. The presentation is lovely. There could be more watching on the line, as dishes were sometimes not replaced or replaced with something else while the tag stayed the same as the original dish. There was a nice seafood dish made at the site and other action stations.
Though it wasn’t lobster season in June, the lavish seafood buffets have been gone for months. On my second stay on Friday night (which used to be the seafood extravaganza but is now Jamaica night). I rechecked back in right at dinner and was only going to have the seafood dish. I brought an empty plate and was told I could only have one scoop. I mentioned that was not the case the week before and I was having nothing else. The server said to come back later. Of course, he was gone then. That being said, there were always several good things that met my taste at Bayside, and I love the smoothies and champagne breakfasts and all the fresh fruits and the nice hot choices throughout the day.

The BBQ park has had a full bar for a while now, and the choices are very tasty over at the restaurant. I really enjoyed the chicken tenders. A TV was added for the World Cup, and this was a very popular spot at late night, as was the main bar. The chicken patties were very nice. At the pizzeria, I miss the thin and crisp pizzas with the tangy sauce that Jermaine used to make, and a number of guests thought the cheese was fatty.

The girls at the smoothie bar at the French village were great to cut up nice fruit plates for me, and the sweet and savory crepes gave such a nice aroma.

I still miss hearing Robert play at the piano bar, but Eddie is still there, and his son plays now.

I would like to see the social directors take teens up to the disco during that time and bring it back to the family hour that was so popular last year when Brian Sang was there. The place was empty at all times, and some of the staff and guests were trying to turn the piano bar into a disco when one already existed. Once Cleveland put on one of his great CDs, all was right with the world.

The nightly shows were great and very well attended. There is more seating these days but some people stand anyway to sway to music, be close to the bar or whatever. The entertainment staff did a great job with the shows and engaging guests during the day.

I’ve always been impressed with the photo staff, and I saw some very beautiful setups with guests as they posed in nature and the photographers knew just what to do.

Vastly improved is the phone service, the TV reception and choices (a combination of Flow and Dish network), and the internet speed. I cannot say enough about the improvement in this area. Gone are the days of wagging back and forth between buildings or running to the porte cachere to get a signal. The TVs in the room are already big screen, and most have the slot for an SD photo card. Now, everything is in place. My T-mobile wifi calling worked just great, too.

The night and overnight managers have been there for a long time now, and they have their work cut out for them at this time of year (June) when there are wedding groups, high school graduation families and groups, and just a lot of people who can take vacation at this time. From opening safes, delivering keys, or discretely handling the occasional out of line guests, these two gentlemen call upn security, maintenance, concierge, the front desk, the bar team, etc. and are able to be anywhere on property to seamlessly assist.

The security team is extra special. They know me and look after me whether it is getting my car in the parking lot or getting out to the road or getting a package delivered or solving some problem. They are all alert and responsible. They watch over the resort public areas and keep an eye on the building entry points.

Tiffany at the front desk and Rupert in Soon Come Back also enhanced my stay.

I spent an afternoon and evening at Sandals Royal Plantation, and it was wonderful to see Louie Grant there happy and mixing with guests, as is his joy. I had spoken to him on the phone earlier in the week, and he was so happy to be working near his home, and he continues to work because the guest experience is so wonderful to him. This is my other favorite resort on the island and also a home for me. I saw a great show that evening and had a great time. I'm looking forward to my birthday stay there in late September and early October.

I was busy during my stays, and there were a few bouts of rain, but I really enjoyed my stay at Beaches Ocho Rios. This is one of my favorite resorts anywhere. I always feel at home here more than at any hotel anywhere. I highly recommend the resort for not just families but any guests that want to be where the staff make everything special.

I had arranged my own ride to the airport, as I had a couple of stops to make and wasn’t sure when I was leaving. It was a nice ride, and it was a good trip home after a great experience with Club MoBay. It was great to be back to my home AT home!
_________________________

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank DebbieTTO
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My family of 6 with kids ranging from ages 8 through 16 traveled the second week of August, 2014 along with my brother-in-law's family. We are returning Beaches/Sandals guests and absolutely loved our recent vacation. We ALL had a great time. There are many different water sports to choose from at the beach. The water slides in the pool area were a great hit with everyone including the adults!!!! All of the staff are very warm and friendly and really make this a wonderful place to vacation. Auntie Pat in the arts and crafts room was very helpful in assisting us with making crafts. Richard and the other lifeguards at the beach were great and very helpful with assisting us with the different water activities. All of the kids loved Leonardo at the water slides in addition to the other lifeguards there, always making the kids (and adults too) feel special. My daughter has a gluten allergy and the chefs were very helpful in giving her gluten free options and even preparing meals that we brought for her. One of the waiters/assistants even recognized us from a previous night and came over to our table to made sure we knew that gluten free options were available. The bartenders are also great and go out of their way to make a tasty drink! We are looking forward to our next Beaches vacation.

3  Thank Lisa R
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I spent 5 days in Ocho Rios and I am ready to go back!!! The service was outstanding, the staff was awesome out of this world. The food, drinks, entertainment all the other amenities were marvelous!!!

Room Tip: "Rooms at the beach" , "Rooms where you can view the beach"
1  Thank Michelle T
Reviewed 19 August 2014

With a lot of help from Amy @ Dream Makers vacation services my wife and I took our whole family (7 adults & 5 children) to Beaches Ocho Rios during the last week of July for our 40th wedding anniversary. The logistics were somewhat complicated as we had to fly from two different parts of the country. Amy handled that with ease and also worked it out so we only had 1 hour difference on our arrival times. We had a fabulous time with no rain and hot and sunny temps and nice breezes off the Caribbean.

The ride to Ocho Rios was long as usual but we stopped at Columbus Park and the kids and adults alike were impressed with story of Columbus landing there. Our bus driver was great and he made the trip go by faster by sharing his knowledge of his country.

The family rooms were over sized and very comfortable, the grounds were beautiful the pools and water-park were awesome and the food was exception. I would like to commend the entire staff, from the grounds people to the upper management; they were all wonderful and very helpful. The wait staff was exceptional, my wife and I had only been to Sandals properties and were a little afraid that the meals at Beaches were on “island time” like Sandals, that was not the case at any of the restaurants for any of the meals. The wait staff was very attentive and the kids didn’t get the least bit antsy.

The only real issue we had was the smoking policy and the dress code. My wife and I made sure the men and women and all the children were dressed properly, resort elegant, when we went to Eleanor’s for dinner one evening. People were coming in with shorts, tank tops and flip-flops and were seated with no questions. If the restaurant is going to have a dress code please enforce it or don’t have one. Smoking in the pool was another issue, not many, but a few people, were smoking in the pool and not really caring where their ashes or smoke was going, we spoke to the bartenders about this but they said they couldn’t do anything about it.

We had a fabulous time and would recommend this resort to anyone with kids.

Thanks again to Amy @Dream Makers vacation services for all her help in making this trip a memory we will never forget.

Apalachin, NY

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lefty607625
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!