“Love Beaches”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We stayed at this resort for 6 nights with our two kids. It was the best family vacation we've ever had. The rooms would not be considered 5 star, they are dated and in need of some updates. However, it was made up for by the incredible staff on the property. Everyone was so pleasant, by day 3 most of them knew us by name. The kids loved the entertainment and the food was incredible everywhere we went. The beach was perfect. We absolutely love the Sandals/Beaches family. A special shout out to "Romane" from the water sports, he was wonderful!!!!!!

3  Thank erin t
There are newer reviews for Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club

Reviewed 31 August 2014

Well we are converted didn't start too great but after a room change went from oh dear to superb. Bradley did a good job..... Staff make this resort we did not meet any member of staff that was not friendly......a great relief after NY.

Eric the drinks guy was great fun and really helpful, Devene, and Camille stood out too.

My 10 year old son loved the holiday. We have been to the Caribbean about 20 times and had a great time. Our room in the greek village was superb.

Improvements a Tepinyaki or Kimonos please and room service. Buffet restaurant could be better but we are not buffet lovers anyway.

Slides great but you need a bar over there !!

Trips tubing superb, trip snorkelling and climbing the falls good, mountain biking great fun too. Island Routes lady onsite excellent too sorting out our zip lining.

Would definitely come again and Jamaica is better than we remember .........p.s love quiet bar on level 2 near our room it took a few days to find it

Room Tip: Stay in a greek village room seek out paradise bar
1  Thank SUSAN C
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Returned Friday 8/29
from Beaches Ocho Rios
BEST FAMILY VACATION EVER
Our 13 year old daughter made 12 new friends from all over the world
We went snorkeling 3 times;
guide caught us a conch
and pointed out a sting ray
each time out I saw lots of colorful fish.
Banana boat was a blast and eas on the back. All staff super friendly, accomodating, polite, helpful--yea mon! WATER CLEAR AND BEACHES CLEAN
WE ALWAYS HAD LOTS OF CLEAN TOWELS
Water aerobics excelent and incorporated Tai Chi, Kung fu, tae Kwon do and tae bo.
Stand up paddle boarding and kayaking fun and easy to use with no waiting and staff ready to sail for us on beaches sailboats which were smooth on days with we wind. Woman who checked us in refused a tip. Tennis pro Esther gave me a private top flight lesson. Slides were great and had no lines with gray slide ride times longer than splish splash in Long Island. Chef Junior Francis gave us a outdoor dinet culinary lesson so now I am ready for Top Chef! We made lollipop Jerk lamb chops, grilled salmon, escaviche snapper, succulent chicken kabobs, fresh linguine, best shrimp was freshest possible, vegetables and salad 3 ways and worked on knif handling skills, blanching techniques and marinades. Best meal ever! We are incorporating all recipes including chef Anthony's oatmeal, smoothie lady's better than Jamba juice and world's best chocolate milk according to my son. Lawn chess was also fun.

Caribbean Airlines exceeded my expectations with this package and we had first rate service throughout.

Beds firm would have preferred Hyatt quality but ok for 4 nights

Xbox room had limited games but we were not here to be video addicts

Had I Kwon about the Tae Kwon Do tournament at the Montego Bay Convention Center we would have even arrived a day earlier

Anthony Szema MD

• Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank Anthony S
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We were at Beaches, Ocho Rios, from Aug 15 to 24, 2014.

Summary:
1. Very good food and great service from the restaurant and water sports staff. Front line guest services staff are amazing.
2. Mixed reviews for the front desk staff.
3. Overall, a very good vacation experience on an absolute scale but disappointing when you consider other Jamaican resorts that cost less.

Tip:
If you visit, don't be afraid to ask the staff for what you want (e.g. Jamaican foods, special assistance). They will go beyond expectations to accommodate your request.

Context:
My family (2 adults, kids 12 and 8), my sister's family (2 adults, 2 teenagers) and my mother visited Beaches because of its reputation and list of inclusions that was superior to any other family resort. My mother, sister and myself were born in Jamaica, visit there almost every year and have tried several resorts. This was our first visit to Beaches, Ocho Rios (my family went to Beaches, Negril 9 years ago).

Check in:
It went smoothly and our bags made it to the room promptly. We discovered there were 2 double beds in our room. We had requested a king bed. When we raised this, the staff acknowledged missing that request and we were moved in about an hour. We were happy with our room location - the view was terrific.
Another issue: We were promised a room upgrade if available. None was available at check in and we were told to check back if one became available. We were also told that a lot of people were checking out in a couple of days and we would be told if an upgrade was available. Then a couple of days later, I spoke with Mike Hinds, Director of Guest Services, who told me that many rooms were not available due to maintenance. So it appears that the front desk wasn't aware of these rooms being unavailable due to maintenance, or they were giving us a story to make us happy. Whatever the case, we were disappointed how this issue was handled and that no remediation was offered.

Restaurants:
The food overall was very good. There was a good variety and the quality of the ingredients was very good. We were disappointed that there wasn't more Jamaican food and some of the Jamaican food was bland (but we were able to get Blaze Fiah hot sauce to improve the taste!). Highlights: Eleanor's coconut shrimp, Neptunes surf and turf.
We encountered great food service in general and these outstanding staff who went above and beyond:
1. Ewart - in addition to great service at Neptunes, after we mentioned about the sparsity of Jamaican fruit at the resort, he brought us naseberries (Jamaican fruit) from a tree at his home.
2. Sacha - in addition to great service at Bayside Buffet, she got some Jamaican ginger (best in the world) for my mom to take home.
3. Avianna - she made the tastiest smoothies. When I noticed there was a soursop on display but no soursop cut up for smoothies, she offered to use the display fruit and made the tastiest soursop drink I've ever had.
4. Richard - my elderly mother didn't go on a day trip to Dunn's River Falls because she has mobility challenges. Richard took her lunch order and delivered it to her room while we were off the resort.

Water sports:
We tried out most of the activities available (banana boat, sailing, snorkeling, glass bottom boat, water slides) and the staff and service were great. The manager, Rohan Williams, was very helpful with our requests and very informative. His team was well trained and friendly. This is the best water sports experience we've ever had!

Wifi:
This is not a normal category for rating a resort but I found it annoying that you have to pay for Wifi ($42.99 USD for a week for 5 devices). I know we're supposed to be on vacation but nowadays people still want to be connected. Other resorts, who don't charge as much as Beaches, have free Wifi in the lobby and some have it free in the suites.

Recommendations:
1. Show off Jamaican food more. It is an integral part of Jamaican culture and there are many foreign and local (Jamaican) guests who would appreciate having it.
2. Give out free Wifi access. When people pay thousands of dollars for a week at your resort, they expect free Wifi in the 21st century.
3. Train the front desk staff better. Need more attention to detail about guest requests. Don't make promises you can't meet.
4. Check out the competition. Iberostar Rose Hall Suites in Montego Bay has more Jamaican food, free WiFi in lobby and most suites, has a bigger/better beach, and charges less!

8  Thank Kevin C
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this resort with a group of 23 people(13 kids). The grounds were immaculately maintained. There was a resort representative everywhere you turned wishing you a good morning or asking how your stay was going. We rented cabanas for most of our stay and the staff there was very accommodating. Some of the staff that went out of there way for us and most especially the kids were Judy who handled our catamaran ride and various other group activities, Miguel and Orando who probably made 50 crepes a day for our group of 5 11-year old boys. The portions were generous wherever we went to eat. The drinks were generous as well. Overall their commitment to service and ensuring that their guests have a truly great vacation was outstanding!! Thank you to all that made our stay memorable!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Lorraine A
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Thank you for your review of Beaches Ocho Rios! It sounds like you all had such an incredible week at our resort. With such a large group, we're so proud to know that we were able to please each guest, no matter the age. We always strive to meet the expectations of our guests and it seems your expectations were met and exceeded. We look forward to your next visit in the future!

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Just got back from an amazing vacation with my extended family. We were 15 in all ranging in ages from 2 through 77. We are all well traveled and have been to several " all inclusives" in the past but I truly feel this was the best one. For children, there are tons to do. The characters are there all day everday. There are always something fun for the kids to do from baking cookies with cookie monster to rubber duckie hunt with Ernie. Had tons of fun at the character breakfast.
I can't say enough the staff. They all went out of their way to make us feel special, remember our names, and serve us with the best treatment. The first day my room was not ready until 4 pm and after that I requested to have it made up early since I had a 2 year old who had to nap and everything was " no problem, mylady"
There are so many great employees but just to name a few great ones was Bradli at the Front desk and when Bradli wasn't there we had Richard. Shaineka ( We called her Sneaky Shaineky) ran fun and entertaining family olympics with our family and the general shows. Harris was our family's personal concierge and Roxanne ( HTP) at the Buffet was sweet as can be.
I would highly recommend this place for people of all ages especially children. My 2 downfalls were that it was a 2 hr drive from the airport but the bus drivers were informative and fun to make the ride a little less painful and I found the area around the pool very slippery so be careful not to slip on the wet surface.

Room Tip: all rooms seemed great. We were the first room outside the main lobby. Because it is tucked in the...
4  Thank Donna B
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I traveled here in mid-December, 2013 as a travel agent for a tour and stayed two nights in this resort. While Jamaica is pretty (it's the Caribbean, and any island there has beautiful waters), this resort didn't make my first impression of the Sandals brand a good one. As an agent who sells resorts and destinations all over the world, I personally wouldn't recommend this Beaches family resort to anyone. I was quite disappointed with the decor, lack of up-keep, mediocre attitude from the staff and overall lack luster of the resort. For as much as this brand charges for a family-filled destination in the Caribbean, it needs a serious overhaul! Everything from details in the room, lack of flavor in the food, and the disrepair of the children's play areas left much to be desired. This was my first experience with a Sandals branded property (Beaches is their family-friendly brand) and one that I wouldn't want to repeat. I can safely say that there are much better resorts for the money out there that will provide families with better accommodations, and for a much better price. If you're dead-set on this brand, I've heard that the Beaches Turks & Caicos is a safe bet, though, I've not yet experienced this property. Check out my other reviews of Sandals properties (which are much better I may add)!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank gjscraftygirl

Hello and thank you for your post.
We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations for service and quality during your visit to Beaches Ocho Rios and anything less than perfect calls for improvement on our part. We sincerely apologize for any shortcoming on our part. and we appreciate you sharing your input with us, ax we want to ensure that our future guests do not have a similar experience. Therefore, your feedback will be sent to our General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We do hope that you will return to one of our Beaches resorts in the future for a stay that will surely exceed all of your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!