“Beaches Boscobel was AMAZING from landing at MBJ until we departed again!”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Dulles, VA
“Beaches Boscobel was AMAZING from landing at MBJ until we departed again!”
Reviewed 8 August 2009

When landing in the airport we immediately located the Sandals/Beaches lounge where sodas and beer were served along with bite size food. We were also quickly greeted by nice hosts requesting our information about where we were staying. There were constant buses departing for each resort. We had to wait because my husband had to take a separate flight so we were there for about an hour, but it was a very pleasant experience. We departed the airport in a bus with a tour guide. The bus trip was a bit lengthy, about 2 hours, but our tour guide was amazing and told us A LOT about Jamaica which was quite informative and helped to pass the time quickly.
When we arrived at the actual resort, we left the bus taking NO luggage and were greeted with drinks and kind employees. We were able to check in quickly and go immediately to our gorgeous room on the ocean. Our room was better than we could have ever imagined. It was very clean, neat, and roomy inside. Also our room was stocked with beverages each day for our use which was quite convenient.
Within minutes of getting into our room, we were in the pool and swimming up to the bar. Our children at 9 and 13 and they LOVED this feature. Not only was a there a pool bar, but there was a volleyball net in the pool where there was almost a constant game for them to play in the entire time we were there.
The food was DELICIOUS at each location we went to. The breakfast buffets were terrific. A huge selection for all and really fresh food. For lunch we normally at the BBQ place because it was conveniently located between the pool and the water park. We ate at Arizona (steak house) the first night, then the Italian place the 2nd night, and the Carribean restaraunt (adults only) the last night. Each place was unique in it's own way, but the food and service at each was superb!!! I would suggest early dinners though or reservations through consierge service (upgrade if possible) because all places tended to get a little crowded.
The childrens activities were terrific. My children did not do all of them, but really loved picking and choosing what to do. My daughter LOVED the t-shirt cutting, tye-dying, and the bead and bracelet making along with the games by the pool such as the scavenger hunts. My son loved the bracelet making and the pool games the most.
The water park at Boscobel was the highlight of everyone's trip. Our entire family could not get enough. We closed it down each day at 6 pm!
We also did snorkeling which was terrific as well! We got lucky and there was a cancellation because it books up fast. You must book the day before for a lot of the water sports, so when you arrive look into that. That is something we will know to do next time.
We were able to use the fitness center daily as well. They need a few more treadmills at this location because I had to wait 2 days, but the weights and other equipment are suitable for a vacation spot. I was surprised so many people were using the fitness facility honestly.
My husband, son, and daughter were able to take in golf while there also. They said it was AMAZING. Greens fees are included but you must rent a cart and pay for a caddy. My husband LOVED the caddy because he found every ball that he lost. While golfing, I took in a massage at the Red Door Spa where Jackie gave me the most amazing massage I could have ever dreamed of. If you go there, be sure to ask for JACKIE!!!!
I would HIGHLY recommend BEACHES BOSCOBEL to anyone. I loved going on a vacation and not having to lift a finger. Drinks, food, and entertainment were right at our fingertips and a beautiful view of the Carribean Sea didn't hurt either! We hope to return to the same spot in 2 years!

2 Thank wrightefamily

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (940)
Paramus,NJ
Reviewed 5 August 2009

It was a great time shared with our children and great friends. The children enjoyed themselves so much they asked to come back.. Thank you for that !!

New York
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I stayed at Beaches Boscobel from July 26th to August 1st. It is a beautiful place, great food and very nice people, except for the person(s) who broke into my room and stole my IPOD and childrens' clothes.
I locked all of my valuables in the room safe but left the IPOD out to charge. When I returned back 2 hours later, my room doors were wide open and my property was missing. The resort barely paid for the IPOD and didn't do anything for us for the time I wasted dealing with management and security (almost an entire day). Also, my children were upset that someone was in our room and took their clothes. Nice place, but not very secure. I dont know if I could recommend this place.

1 Thank TonyDNewYork
oneonta, new york
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Our stay at baches boscobel was fantastic. The service and food was great as well as the nightly entertainment. The emplyment was very friendly,helpful and understanding. There is alot that you can do at this resort. The room was very nice. It had a great view of the ocean and the resort it self. The amentities suc as the watr park, kiddie pool, temain pool with a stage and the restraunts were fabulous. The loction is fine. It is in a town called Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Eventhouh the resot is a two hour drive from the airport and atwenty minute drive from the golf course it is well worth it. The golf is incldwithon the price as well as everything else on the resort like the foo,drinks, transfers to and from the airport in Montego Bay. It cost alot of monebu it was very relaxing vacation in awsome weather for a week.

Florida
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Stayed at Beaches Boscobel. July 14 to July 19 with 2 families. 4 adults, and kids 10, 14, 15, and 17 yrs old.
We have been to other all inclusives in the past so we know what to expect. We are not expecting 5 star food or service. We're just average people going to a vacation resort for the beach, fun, and sun.
The Beaches Boscobel is not a new resort but it was well maintained overall. Any hotel directly on the ocean is very difficult to maintain. They do a great job. It is built on the side of a hill so it is tiered down to the beach. The main pool area is on the 4th floor overlooking the beach. Lots of steps to go up and down. Good exercise.
The food: We thought all of the restaurants were very good. We ate at all of them at least once. The VENETIAN is Italian and very good with good service.
ELEANOR'S is more Mediterranean. Good food with good service.
The ARIZONA is outside dockside. Good food, good location, VERY slow service and usually when you do get your meal, it's wrong. Would'nt recommend this place to eat.
The BAYSIDE buffet. They serve beakfast, lunch, and dinner. Always had a good selection of very good food. Something for everyone. Different themes each night. It is just above the main pool area with a great view of the ocean. Since it is a buffet, service is not an issue here. We opted to eat here most of our meals. A good choice. You can always find a table of your choice.
BBQ PARK is between the main pool and the water slide park. Very good place to grab a bite during the day.
The Entertainment: Very good for kids 10 and under. Other than that, not much going on. The teens with us were boared. They did go to the disco one night. I went to check on them and found the disco to be small, unairconditioned, with to many dark corners. Kind of gave me the creeps. I would not recommend letting any of your teen girls go in there! The main stage entertainment is pretty much geared towards children under 10. Gets old for the adults but keeps the kids busy so you can enjoy yourself at the pool bar. If you get the chance, have about 5 cocktails and then head over to the piano bar. Very entertaining!! Its hilarious to watch people sing along with the Jamaican dude that plays the piano. The Piano Mon. What a riot. The Appleton Bar has a 3 man steel drum band at 7PM. Dont miss it. Alot of fun. We went there every night. Say "Hi" to Leo. He's dancing machine.
Golf: Played the golf course twice. Good golf course but they don't do alot of watering (if any). I was expecting plush fairways like south Florida but it is mostly hard pan. The greens a very small and are as hard as your driveway. Impossible to hit a green and make the ball stick. You have to land the ball short of the green and hope it does'nt roll off the back. It's also kind of annoying having to take a caddy with you and then having to tip him for annoying you all day. But, any day golfing is a good day!
The beach: We are from Florida so we did'nt really mind if the beach was'nt perfect. We can get that at home. I DID mind that the floating venders were allowed to be in my face on the private roped in area of the beach. They even tie their floating shops to the barrier ropes. The times that we did want to sit by the beach, have a few cocktails, and just look out at the ocean were mared by who we called "Surfboard Bob" and his floating gift shop. He has 2 surfboards tied together with his floating shop on top of them. Very annoying! He should be told to move down to the end of the beach. NOT IN THE MIDDLE! It appeared that some of the guys working with him were also working on the hotel boats and watercraft so that's why it's probably overlooked.
The pool is big and has a pretty good swim up bar with good service. I would not put my head under the water because the pool was never that clean. One of our kids did come home with a bad ear infection. he pretty much lived at the water park slide area so he probably got it there.
Rooms: Adequate rooms. Housekeeping did a very good job.
I will not go back to this hotel but may try the Beaches at Turks & Caicos.
One last thing. I will NEVER consider ANY resort that is this far from the airport. Exhausting! Bring empty water bottles and fill them up with the free draught beer at the Beaches airport hospitality suite. You'll need it for the trip to the hotel.

1 Thank herkie05
pa
Reviewed 3 August 2009

My husband and I travel with our daughters 16 and 11. After reading all of the reviews i was a little nervous about our decision to go to this resort. But as soon as we arrived I was relieved. We belong to the signature guest club and our room was upgraded from a deluxe to a luxury family room. We had a beautiful exra large balcony. The room only had a king bed and a pull out sofa which I felt would be uncomfortable for the girls, so they brought us up two roll away beds which the kids didn't mind. Have i spept in more comfortable beds? Yes, but it was by no means uncomfortable. All of the staff were very helpful and the resort was very clean. I saw some of those pictures of the resort cracked etc. and it is clear that those people went looking for problems, because none of those stood out to me.
We all were very pleased with our meals. We loved the BBQ, Arizona, Venetian and the Bayside. Just a fyi- plan on about 1/2 hour to hour wait if you get there after 7pm. Another nice treat was the soft self-serve icecream which i helped myself to a couple of times.
The water slides and pools were great. I loved even the little kids slides. There is always something going on at the pools. The activity staff always had some game or show going on.
I will admit that my family is not a beach family, but somehow we were on the beach everyday. All of us took part in enjoying the banana boats, bikes, kayaks, hobiekats, glassbottom boats, snorkeling etc. Again the staff down there was wonderful. Like in other reviews the beach is small and the ocean is rocky in some spots so we brought our water shoes down with us and it was fine. My 16yr old had a wonderful massage on the beach and my 11yr old had her hair braided there as well. Listen for spa specials during the day- she only pd 60.00 instead of 120.00
As for the tours- my husband and 16 yr old did mystic mountain and she said it was the most fun she ever had. I was glad to hear that since it was 145 pp. We also did dunns river falls- again an awesome experience but make sure you bring your water shoes. The staff there will vidoe tape your group's climb for 40.00 and they only take one picture, so bring a waterproof camera and the guide will take pictures whenver you want.
As for the night life- my family was so tired by the end of the night we were more than content to be in bed by 1030-1100. The teen disco was held every night but not more than 3 or 4 were there.
As many others wrote, there are a lot of steps to get up from the beach. There is an elevator which toward the end of our vacation we took more regularly.
I apologize for this length, but I felt the need to express how happy we were with our vacation.

1 Thank sarahthomp
Maryland
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We stayed at Beaches Boscobel from July 14 - 20, 2009. Our group consisted of three families with four kids ages 12-15. Let me start off by saying that the kids had a blast and the adults had a fun filled relaxing vacation. There were definitely alot of activities to keep everyone busy. The staff at Water Sports were phenominal, many thanks to Gregory, Prince, Marvin, Cleveland, RaSaun and Sanjay. Each day we enjoyed snorkeling, sailing, boat rides, and banana boat rides! A few brave ones out of our group took scuba lessons which opened a whole new world to explore. In addition to everything else going on in a given day, on Sunday a boat excursion was offered for "teens only" which the teens in our group loved. The group was taken on a scenic boat ride along the coast to a beautiful cove for some swimming. It was a nice way for all the kids in that age group to get to know each other and make new friends.

All the restaurants were good and offered a nice variety of foods. Something for every palate. Each evening there was a nice variety of shows which were entertaining. A nice way to relax after dinner with the family.

I had been to Jamaica on three previous occasions (before kids) and I wanted the kids to see Jamaica beyond the resort. I booked a tour through Chukka Caribbean Tours, particularly the Murphy's Hill/Dunns River Excursion. You can check them out on line. Our open air jeep seated 10 people. Our tour guide also happened to be a teacher and we felt as if we stepped into a history book - phenominal tour. Awesome off-road experience bouncing and laughing through the fields up to Murphy's Hill, then over to an old plantation to each fresh fruit, and then to cap it off back down to climb Dunns River Falls. So the kids came away with what I had hoped for, they fell in love with Jamaica, as I did many years ago!

Yes, I also read all the negative reviews before choosing Beaches Boscobel. I knew about the 1 1/2 hour ride to the resort but hey, it's a great way to see the coast instead of quickly arriving to a resort. Yes, small beach (if you want big, then go to Negril) which suited us just fine since most of the time was spent doing water sports or hanging out by the great pools. I have come to the conclusion that if there are people so preoccupied about chipping paint, cracked caulk in the bathrooms, too many steps, etc., then maybe they must not have really been truly taking the time to relax and enjoy the beauty of the resort, sunsets, caribbean, the people, mountains, etc.

This resort bills itself as a family friendly resort with activities to suit all ages. That is exactly what it is. We had a premier deluxe family suite which was well appointed, comfortable and very clean. Our group collectively agreed that the staff at this resort helped make this vacation more than what we had expected. It was a sad day when we left and said goodbye to our new friends but I believe one day, we just may come back!

2 Thank givemesun-MD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#3 of 63 in Montego Bay
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!