“Beaches Family Resort Ocho Rios”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
beachmom3
“Beaches Family Resort Ocho Rios”
Reviewed 1 August 2007

We had a great time, the beaches were gorgeous, the people were super nice....My only issue was the whole Seasame Street deal. Fortunately we caught the shows next to the pool, and our 22 month old loved it! Now, my two older kids were not able to do all the activities offered to the kids, because i was unaware that we had to sign them up for the kids camp. And leave them there for how ever long. I was under the impression these were activities that we could of done as a family. We are on vacation as a family dont see the purpose in dropping them off and we go off doing our own thing. Also, i was planning on doing the character breakfast, but that is offered on Wednesdays; we arrived on Thursday and left on Tuesday...so we didnt get the chance. I wanted to do the photo session wth the characters, and that is offered on Tuesday afternoons, we left that morning...again we missed that. I believe the whole Seasame Street needs to be offered so no matter what day you travel you can still have the opportunity to do it. All the water sports were great, we all did enjoy that. The sunset cruise was nice, but my parents did it on Saturday and it was adults only, which is fine, and is why we signed up for MOnday, just we were failed to be told that on mondays kids can go....so our kids missed out on that ride, and i know they would have enjoyed it. We did have a great time, the kids did lot of swimming and really enjoyed the slides in the smaller pool....

3 Thank beachmom10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (958)
Folkestone
Reviewed 30 July 2007

Booked in the spring having honeymooned with Sandals some years earlier. Then 2 weeks before read a trip advisor review that absolutely slated the resort - on all counts! Suffice to say I was a little worried from that point on. Arrived and my first impression was that the resort was a little tired - showing its years. However, this was short lived as the service and attitude of virtually everyone working in the resort was excellent and this more than made up for the facilities being mildly shabby and dated in places. Kids club was particularly good - thanks Tracyann - and the food was brill. The Hobie Cats on the waterfront require proper, regular maintenance - they're being sent out in an unsafe condition I think - so do check visually before setting sail! Beach quite small so get your towels out early! and the gym equipment, while adequate, looks very dated now. None of these points deter me from giving 5 stars - we had such a great time!

• Liked — Spacious
  • Disliked — Lots of steps!
2 Thank HairyMcClairy
Virginia
Reviewed 28 July 2007

We just came back from beaches Boscobel - stayed there July 10-july 17. All services are great, our 11 year old daughter was very happy. I think if you have never been at any other Sandals or Beaches you will like this resort. In my opinion Beaches Boscobel is the oldest facility and the least fanciest, comparing to St.Lucia Regency Sandals and Ocho Rios Sandals. Nightly entertaiment was good, but the way they have the stage is a little strange - it is at the pool area and if you want to watch the show you need to sit on those pool lay out things, which is a little unconfortable if you not sun bathing. All people who are planning to book with Beaches/Sandals please be aware that Beaches/Sandlas will do the best the can in order NOT to grant you this sales promotion thay advertise - "Passport to Paradize" - resourt credit 125.00 (up to 2 passport fees per booking). I have faxed all my rebate papers on time - they have lost it. When we came to the resort - no credit there. People at the resort will not be able to help you there. So if you mail your "Passport to Paradize" rebate forms - please request receipt confirmation. Luckily I have faxed mine and I had fax confirmation page (at home). So when we came back I have called 1-888-Beaches and told them that they have lost my papers, as I have proof that I have sent all required on time. I have faxed them the fax confirmation page to prove it, but now they are saying I am not qualified because my UPS receipt from passport application doesn't specifically state that passport was "expedited". WOW...I have received standard receipt in the post office when I have applied for my daughter's passport, so everybody get the same standard receipt...Receipt shows $ 159.00 total, so it is obvious expedited service was requested. Secondly on the rebate form, there nothing there saying that you need to have this passport expedited, but this besides the point. I had to expedite , as we have been pretty tight with time, considering all this passort back log. So, basically they make rules as they go just not to pay people what they promised. The vacation was good, but this "rebate" issue left realy bad taste in my mouth.....

• Liked — nive view ocean beach
  • Disliked — selling grugs in a piano bar in from of resort management
  • Stayed July 2007
1 Thank madmuasele
New Jersey
Reviewed 26 July 2007

It’s 3am and the driver from Murphy Airport transfers is standing at the front door. We run through a quick list – e-tickets, passports, Beaches documents, cash, and camera – check. We leave a light on and lock the doors, headed for JFK . There’s no traffic so we get there early. The baggage porter greets us as we exit and offers to check us at curbside. My wife steps over to the Delta kiosk with passports in hand, and 10 minutes later, we have our boarding passes and the baggage is checked in. No waiting in long lines, and no need to present the e-tickets.

We head over to the security line, empty our pockets, take off our shoes, and submit to the pat down and wand-over. Deemed safe to fly, we head to the food court for a breakfast. It’s 5:30am now, and we will have to wait until 4pm for another meal. We grab a couple of medium Starbucks and head over to the gate to wait for our plane. We get on the plane at 8:30am. The plane is full of excited travelers all heading to the 3rd largest island in the Caribbean. This is our second, but not last visit to the beautiful island of Jamaica. Takeoff is smooth and I can almost taste the rum punch now.

A smooth landing and its off to immigration. Signs on the wall ask for patience with the heat as they are installing air conditioning soon. With the new passport requirements, we find the processing much faster and friendlier. We head to the Beaches/Sandals reception area and I down two 10oz Red Stripes quickly while the kids grab a soda. Elmo appears and takes a picture with my daughter. After stopping by the Starfish Trelawny reception area, I head back to the comfort of the Red Stripe on tap. We get called for my transport to the resort. By now, a total of 3 men have handled our luggage and we express our gratuity with tips.

We meet our driver Donovan “Danny” Clarke of Juta Tours, and to our surprise, we have the van to ourselves with the exception of an electrician from Tennessee who is hooking up with his girlfriend at the resort on Monday. The other bus to the resort has about 4 or 5 families on it. Donovan is a super friendly and knowledgeable man who gave us a short Jamaican history lesson while mentioning all points of interest along the way. We stop halfway at a bar/gift shop/jerk restaurant and buy 5 beef patties, five sodas, some chips and ice cream. There’s no prices posted, so you are at their mercy. The patties are delicious and the soda ice cold. It’s back on the road for the rest of the trip. Not once did I feel the trip too long or traitorous, as I was taking in the beauty and uniqueness of the land and its people.

We finally arrive at the resort where I am greeted by an ice-cold rum punch. I give Donovan a $15 tip and he slips me his card and poses for a photo. We are led to the warm reception lobby and then it’s down to the concierge lounge where we receive more info before being led to our room on the beach level. Stacey-Ann leads us down to room 2102, which is a beachfront Honeymoon suite with an occupancy level of 4, but we’re squeezing 5 into it. The rollaway bed that I requested is already there and so is a nice welcoming fruit basket. I check the fridge; it’s full of Wata, Red Stripe, sodas, and fruit juices. A bottle of Appleton’s Rum sits on the desk; a welcoming gift from Beaches. Thanks Stacey Ann and all of the concierge staff for a great welcome.

The wife & kids don their bathing suits and head to the main pool while I wait for the bags. The bags arrive and I’m ready to get to the pool. I go to lock the door, but the keys don’t work, so I call and speak to concierge office that quickly sends Andre down. After 2 trips with different keys, Andre gets the right set and refuses a tip for his quick and courteous service, reminding me that it’s “no problem Mon.” He then sets the room radio to the local reggae station Irie-FM and leaves with a wave and a smile. Nice guy. I head up to the pool to cool off, and then grab a late lunch – a jerk chicken sandwich & fries at the BBQ pit. Good food, and great service with a smile. I head to the pool to meet Milton at the swim up bar. He gives me the customary fist tapping saying “we’ll take good care of you Mon.” These guys are fast and friendly and keep the spirits flowing. A late dinner at Arizona’s of jerk baby back ribs, corn on the cob, and Kendall Jackson pinot grigio end my first day with my family at Boscobel, and I’m snoring by 10pm.

I get up early on Sunday to take pictures of the property, then head to the Bayside for a nice breakfast of fresh fruit, coffee and a vegetable egg white omelet. The kids love the bacon, sausages, waffle station with fresh whipped cream and toppings, and fresh fruit juice smoothies. We walk around for a half hour, then head over to the pool and the two water slides. Through a wooden barrier behind the waterslides, you can see the new 9 waterslides being built and slated to open in December 2007; making a total of 11 waterslides. I hope they are adding a lazy river also like the one at Negril. You’ve probably already heard that you can bang your head pretty hard on the existing slides. The kid’s pool is not deep enough for kids or adults shooting out of the slides. There’s also a hot tub near the kids pool and the main pool. I also loved the waterfall in the main pool and the miniature one next to the kid’s pool. Did I mention I love this place yet? We head over to the Bayside for a great diner after a long day in the sun, and the sounds of the steel band at Appleton’s bar lulls me into an early sleep.

Monday is more of the same. The property has four or five flights of steps leading from the beach level to the pool. It’s good exercise and recommended more than the elevator, which is hot and has no air circulating in it. There’s a mini-gift shop called Cool-Blue on the beach level that sells beach toys, sun glasses, suntan lotions, snacks and cigarettes. Later in the afternoon as I’m drinking a Red Stripe in front of my suite, a passing employee from the Beach Sports office walked past and started chatting with me. I offered him a cigar that he gratefully accepted. Monday afternoon featured a Blue Mountain coffee tasting and also a Managers Welcome cheese & wine party poolside at 3pm. I purchased an 8-ounce bag for 16.99 and then enjoyed a mini-buffet with my older son. I had wine and fruit while my son had soda and fruit. He convinced me to try a piece or two of the fresh tuna sushi rolls wrapped in seaweed. I had never tried sushi, and it was good.

I had made reservations Monday night for the Italian restaurant called the Venetian through the concierge office, but missed our scheduled time, so we went there late It was full, so they led us to the Venetian Terrace, where we were greeted by a white-gloved waiter serving wine and soda for the kids. A hot and cold buffet was also available, but we skipped the food to leave room for the dinner. A wedding reception was wrapping up on the terrace as a beautiful sunset sank behind the palm trees, making a lasting memory for everyone watching it. Kemar was our outstanding server who took time out to really talk to us about where we were from and a little about himself. Much respect to Kemar. We took a walk after dinner, then back to the room for sleep by 9pm.

We spent the Tuesday at the beach, the waterslides, and the main pool. I missed a snorkeling trip I scheduled at 2pm because I was having so much fun with the kids at the waterslides. During the day, we watched shows at the main stage, visited the Xbox room in which only half of the stations were working. We weren’t here for video games, but it would be nice to keep the maintenance up on them. We also went on a glass bottom boat ride and took many pictures of the resort and the surrounding land. My oldest son & I briefly attended the concierge level cocktail party at the Appleton bar for a game of bingo, cocktails and buffet.

My wife and 2 younger kids went to Arizona for a Tex-Mex dinner while my eldest son & I headed over to the fine Caribbean Restaurant called Eleanor’s. We were the first ones seated with an ocean view from our table. It quickly filled up afterwards. The food and service were excellent. We had shrimp, ackee & salt fish, swordfish, snapper, pepper pot soup, coffee and dessert. We left there full and appreciative of the wonderful Jamaican people and their commitment to making each experience better than the last. There are many shows scheduled at the main stage at night, but we missed most of them because we were so tired.

I was up at 5am Wednesday and headed to the gym for some weights, treadmill and elliptical machine. The equipment is in good shape, and they have free weights, a Cybex station, a weight bench, 4 treadmills and 2 elliptical machines. The room has air-conditioning, fans, bathrooms with a shower each, wall mounted TVs, fresh towels and a water fountain. I was back to the room at 7am and woke my wife who ran 5 miles on the treadmill before returning for another fantastic breakfast at the Bayside. The steel band at breakfast adds a nice touch. We headed back to the pool after breakfast, trying to find an empty lounge not already claimed by the chair hoarders before 7am each day.

My 12-year-old son had done the entire 1-hour water aerobics class the day before and convinced my wife, my 7-year-old daughter and I to do it with him today. The instructor is tall and ripped, and I heard several middle age women fantasizing out loud to one another. Anyway, the stage started pumping dance music at 11:30am and the fun began. He walked us through kicks, punches, hops, walking back, forward and covering the length of the pool, it was a lot of fun. Next time I will do it every day.

After the hour class, I headed over to the bar, realizing that I had just done 2.5 hours of exercise before lunch. I downed a couple of tequila shots with salt & lime to congratulate myself, then headed of for some head banging fun on the slides, a game of pool (there are 2 pool tables by the kids slides) and dips back in the main pool and under the waterfall.

Lunch at the BBQ pit, and then shopping at the somewhat aggressive peddlers village to the right of the property where we purchased a painting, a wall hanging, 3 tee-shirts, a dress for my daughter, a shirt for my wife, 2 necklaces, and a couple of wooden animal carvings. My youngest son & daughter each got four braids; two on each side of their heads. I brought back some Red Stripe, water and juice for the people there. Each time you leave a shop, another peddler insists you visit their hut. They love to haggle, and my wife became an expert getting them to come down in price.

We took the Sunset cruise Wednesday night. It runs Monday & Wednesday night, and you have to register for it the day before at the Water Sports office. My eldest son opted out because he had gotten ill on the glass bottom boat cruise. Instead, he stayed behind and attended the SSG cocktail party held at the Piano Bar. The water was nice in the beginning, but then got a little choppy, making several guests seasick. Once again I captured some great pictures from the boat. The staff on this boat works at the waterslides, the banana boat, taking people out on catamarans etc. They are a friendly, professional, and great bunch of guys who joke with you the whole time, trying to put you at ease and enjoy your vacation. If you do this cruise, bring your bathing suit. They anchor in a cove of turquoise blue water where you are invited to dive in off of the sides of the boat. The staff goes to the upper level of the boat and they do magnificent dives off. We forgot our suits, but dove into the clear blue water in our clothes. They cranked the reggae while we were swimming.

Back on the boat and a late night farewell dinner at Arizona where we met a nice family from Massachusetts. My daughter fell asleep at the dinner table so I carried her back to the room and put her to bed. The Host of Arizona, I think his name is Rich wears a cowboy hat and tries his hardest to do a really good John Wayne. He remembered us from our other visits and bid us goodbye. A really nice guy. We packed our bags when we got back while watching an HBO movie.

Thursday was our saddest day; time to go home. Up at 5am again and to the gym for an hour & a half, wake up the wife for her 5-miler, and get the kids off to the Bayside. I took some final pictures and headed back to the room. My wife & kids went to the pool for one last hour. We had to check out at 11am and our bus was leaving at noon. We hit the main Cool Blue gift shop as our last stop for our free SSG t-shirts, and then headed to the lobby. This time, 5 families got on a large bus, and we got our very own bus to ourselves. This driver was older and not as friendly as Danny, but he spoke to my son about crocodiles and other Jamaican questions. He dropped us off in front of Sangster’s Airport where I gave him $10 and a bottle of rum. A porter grabbed our bags and took them right to Delta where we were checked in immediately. I gave him $5 for 4 bags. We headed through security that was smooth, although I did get wanded because my ballpoint pen set off the alarm.

We made our way to terminal 14 and checked out some duty free shops, the Jamaican Bobsled Café, and finally to the Air Margaritaville restaurant for lunch. Lunch set us back $70 for 3 kids meals, a jerk burger & red stripe for me, and a grilled chicken sandwich and soda for my wife. All big portions and the food was delicious. I did notice that the intense customer-satisfaction ethic so evident at the resort was missing at this place, with a hint of underlying resentment, but I brushed it off.

So, to wrap it up:
Karen our Housekeeper – 5 out of 5 stars
Swim up bar staff – 10 out of 5 stars
Beach Sports staff – 5 out of 5 stars
Restaurant staff – 5 out of 5 stars

Beaches Boscobel: Ya Mon!

• Liked — Beaches employees treat you like family
  • Disliked — nothing
9 Thank NJTRAVELERRJO
Scotland
Reviewed 25 July 2007

Great time at Beaches Boscobel. Hotel clean, rooms spacious, good quality food, not great entertainment but ok for a week. 3 speciality restaurants all worth a visit. Beach and poolside great, no shortage of sunbeds and towels. If you are looking for a relaxing break then this hotel is definately worth a visit. Kids aged from 8 yrs to 16 yrs enjoyed the water activities as well as the games room. Not much in the way of entertainment for this age group. Staff were friendly and helpful, no queuing at the bar or restaurants - and the hotel was full! Only downside to this hotel is it is a 2.5 hour journey from the airport.

• Liked — Cleanliness
2 Thank BarneyScotland
Middlesex, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 July 2007

We just returned home from a week at Beaches Boscobel. Our stay there was from July 14-July 21st, 2007.
I had kept up on all the reviews on trip advisor before we left and was unsure of what to expect.
We had an absolutely wonderful time and are planning to return.
The bus ride to the resort was about 2 hours long and is more or less like a mini van size, however the bus taking us back to the airport to return home was like a Greyhound bus and due to the roads being bumpy of people were getting sick on the bus, so I'd advise not to eat a big breakfast when leaving to return home.
The resort itself was beautiful, I didn't see where it was anywhere run down and they were always cleaning, painting or doing something while we were there.
Our room was more than comfortable and the housekeeping staff came in daily to clean, make the bed and give us fresh towels.
A good portion of the day was spent on the beach, it is on the smaller side, but there was always plenty of room and it was never crowded. I am a very over protective mom and felt that the resort was very safe as long as you stayed within the property so I gave my daughter who's 10 free reign to do what she liked so she spent her days at the water slide and doing the activities they planned like pool volleyball. The last 2 days she spent at the kids camp and one evening came back crying that she had the best time there and didn't want to leave.
My husband also scuba dived each day and we used the sail boat and went on a banana boat ride at the resort which was quite fun. We did book the shopping trip to Ocho Rios which was nice and we booked the Dunn's River Falls excursion from the resort. I was very disappointed in the Dunn's River Falls trip due to the fact my spouse, myself, my daughter and my sister were the only ones from the resort that went out on that trip that morning. A driver came and picked us up at the resort, even walked us to where we had to be at the entrance of the Falls, but once we actually got down to where we had to be to climb the falls, we were on our own. For the price of what we paid for that excursion, a guide should have been provided. We chose not to pay one of their guides at the falls being we had already payed so much for the excursion and we ended up latching on to someone who was going up the falls, think he was a local there cause he knew the falls quite well, however he took us right up towards the middle of the falls which was quite scarey. We had climbed Dunn's River falls 8 years ago and this time it was nothing like we had remembered. My advise is make sure you have one of the original Dunn's River guides in the blue shirts, they will make sure you travel safely upwards and have a fun trip.
We ate one night at the Arizona and the rest of our vacation we had our breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Bayside which is a buffet. I'm a very picky eater and most of the time I always found something that I liked and even tried Blackened Tuna and other items that I may have not ordered had I been eating out at a restaurant locally. The main bar which was right by our room and the pool offered different drinks of the day which we did try and they were all quite good. I did read on someone's review before we left to try the Dirty Banana drink. It was excellent :)
The dress code is CASUAL in the Bayside (buffet) all they ask is that you don't have on a wet swimsuit and that you are respectfully covered up. I purchased all these sundresses thinking I'd need them, I wore a few, however most nights after spending the day in the sun we ended up just going to dinner in shorts and shirts.
They do give you a room key which is attached to a piece of paper that has a bar code on it and anything you purchase within the resort is billed directly to your room which you can pay off your bill before you leave if you'd like. My sisters word of advise is when going to the beach, take a bottle of water out of your room fridge with you. She had forgot her water and decieded to pick one up at the little shop by the beach and they charged her a few dollars for something she could have gotten free from her room. And a few dollars here and there add up quickly.
The photo shop is very expensive, $15.00 for a 5x7 photo so if you can take as many pictures as you can on your own. Plus as your out and about the resort they take photos of them and give you bracelets with codes on them and you take them into the photo shop and they will pull the pictures up on a screen. The only thing is that there were so many pictures when we left that we ended up purchasing a package deal with 1- 8x10, 10- 5x7's and it came with 3 frames for $169.
The tiny tot nursery...what can I say? The women in there went above and beyond to help us with our 18 month old son who when we got to the resort turned into satan. Between our 2 flights and 2 hour bus ride when we got there and the screaming and hollering each morning and evening, our son was unbearable. My son was at the tiny tot nursery from 9 am till 6 pm. He screamed when we dropped him off, however we'd see the nanny's out and about the property with him, walking and talking to him and he was as good and content as could be. On night for dinner he was carrying on and we were trying to calm him down one of the women (not quite sure who she was but we had talked and seen her often, I think she was a manager for the kids camp) she had seen my son acting up and came over and took him for a walk so that we could finish our dinner. A++ to all the women at the Kids Camp.
As for the evenings after dinner they always had shows up on stage which were pretty good. You really didn't care what show was going on, just the fact that you were in Jamaica, it was still 80 degrees in the evening and you were sitting by the pool watching the shows was still relaxing.
Make sure you take a lot of sunscreen. I already had a little tan before I got there and thought I didn't need a high sunscreen, well my first full day of vacation I got burned and I had only been in the water and on the beach for a short time.
All in all, Vacation is what you make it. If you plan on going to have a great time, then you will have just that. I don't feel that anyone who booked at Beaches Boscobel will be dissapointed.
I'm also posting some of the photos that I had taken while we were there in hopes that it will put you at ease and you will also have a wonderful time.

• Liked — More than what I had expected
  • Disliked — Have nothing bad to say about Beaches Boscobel
4 Thank Denyse1966
Long Island,NY
Reviewed 23 July 2007

Our party of 6, 4 adults and two teens (ages 14) just spent 5 days at Beaches Boscobel and no one wanted to leave!
The hotel is beautiful, the rooms fastidiously clean, the staff (from the cleaning crew to the concierge) was warm, friendly and accomodating. They truly want you to have a great time.
No boredom ever. The beach is beautiful, plenty of seating, towels and lots of inclusive water fun. The pool area with floating bar was lively. Music played all day and there was a DJ on hand to play games with guests (aquacise, pool volleyball etc.) Sesame Street characters on hand for the kids. Teen activities, shopping excursions, scuba on site, etc.
Restaurants were never crowded and the food everywhere was delicious. Even if you have a vegetarian or health nut in your group, there was always plenty of choice.
The Jamaicans are lovely people. I want to come back.

5 Thank mel7254
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Half Moon
Half Moon
#3 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!