“Jamin in Jamaica”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Reviewed 2 August 2007

Leaving Beaches Boscobel was the most difficult part of the trip. The Jamacian hospitality and service was impecable. The unlimited high quality food and drinks were great. Beaches Boscobel is a great vacation for everyone in the family from the toddlers to the adults. Kids are happy from sunup to sundown. Great entertainment to watersports.

Long ride from airport but well worth it. Everyone should experience Beaches for themselves.

3  Thank nursecheers
Write a ReviewReviews (4,397)

Reviewed 2 August 2007

We decided to go back to Jamaica after a 14-year absence staying at a Sandals resort before. Beaches Boscobel was a great choice for my whole family including my three teenage boys. I heartily recommend Jamaica and especially Beaches for a family. The prices to go to Jamaica are the most reasonable, much less than Cancun for example. They also have a hurricanegurantee so if that happens, you dont lose your vacation.

You arrive in Montego Bay and can relax at the Sandals lounge until your shuttle arrives. I will warn you right now, it takes about two hours to get to Beaches Boscobel and the road is under construction in lots of places. Just sit back and the driver will point out things. They also stop about halfway for a bathroom break. The shop there is much cheaper than at the resort for souvenirs. We arrived late at about midnight and the manager had dinner sent to our room. The room was large and simple, yet comfortable. A fridge was in the room stocked with all types of drinks. Air conditioning works great.

1. Guest Treatment

The strength of the resort is their staff and their treatment of guests. I cant say enough how attentive and kind the employees were to us. Everyone greets you from attendants to waitresses to pool guards. Our housekeeper was impeccable in her care of the room. We struck up great friendships with many of the employees who always stepped up to see that you were taken care of. You were showered with attention every time you ate, someone was always there to fill your glass, take an order, take your plate etc. I honestly cannot provide one negative comment on our treatment at the resort. My wife “adopted” two of the lifeguards, Germaine and Prince, who were a delight to speak to. They called us mom and dad during the trip. There are so many employees we would like to mention as so many were so kind to us.

2. Food/Drink

I saw several reviews showing disappointment with the food. We found it fabulous. Waiters at each restaurant were cheery and seemed to take pride in how well they pleased you. There is something for everyone. Our children loved the informality of the BBQ Pit with jerk chicken, hamburgers and fries. There is also the Bayside Buffet where we ate breakfast and lunch that provided high assortments of different things including a smoothie bar. My wife and I particularly enjoyed Eleanors for a quiet and elegant dinner with white-gloved waiters. The food was superb. There is also Arizona’s, a tex-mex restaurant with ribs, steaks etc. “Sheriff Bill” oversees the seating and will ensure your visit runs smooth. He always had our favorite table ready for us and was a delight to get to know. The Venetian rounded out the palette with Italian dishes.

The bartenders were attentive and each had a favorite drink which ingredients were a secret. Ask for the “dirty banana”, that was my favorite, my wife liked the “bad girl”. The swim up bar at the pool is very busy. I enjoyed the pool by the buffet. One thing to keep in mind. There is no embargo on Cuban cigars and a lot of people, especially the British love to smoke those and the bar attracts those types. If you hate smoking like I do, it could be a problem.

3. Activities

Lots of things to do at Boscobel. One thing you have to try is the scuba diving. If you ever thought about becoming PADI certified, this is the place to do it. My entire family, even my wife, got certified. The two instructors John and Baby J were outstanding. John worked one on one with my wife including her first dive when she was real scared. He was very patient and got her to do it. The entire experience was positive and it was a great thing seeing my entire family diving together, exploring shipwrecks and coral reefs. There are several dives a day as well as snorkeling and glass bottom boat trips. Signups for these activities are a day in advance. I recommend anyone getting in to the resort get down to the waterfront and try to get on for the next day. Signups start at 8:30AM so make sure your there at 8:00AM and you’ll have no problem getting what you want. Lines are heaviest on Mondays and Tuesdays but thin out during the week. If your there by 8:00 you’ll be one of the first in line. There is also windsurfing, banana boats, water bikes, sail boats etc. you don’t need reservations for those just go down and get your vest.

If you have a teenager and they are missing, chances are they are in the Xbox room, that’s where I found mine a lot. My kids are 15 and 13 and we felt comfortable in letting them spread their wings, eat when they want and do what they want. They had a blast and we loved the relaxation. We didn’t check out the little kid stuff as our kids are older but I saw the kids doing a lot of supervised activities with Sesame Street characters.

There is a show each night, music, and games. I would say about the resort is too much American music. I love reggae and would have preferred that as the music of choice. They do play it a lot but there is also the American music as well. They did have steel drums play as well as some of the newer reggae.

There isn’t much shopping near the Boscobel. Its about 20 minutes outside of Ocho Rios and you need to take a shuttle to get to it. Items are pricey in the gift shop and there is a little market next to the resort’s water sports area. People stand at the pier and entice you to come to their shops. They are friendly though so don’t worry about any harassment. They do try to get you to buy and their prices are expensive. A no thank you will get a thank you from them. We did buy some items from them as they were so nice to us. My boys all got their hair corn rowed over there. One day a week, craft makers get to show their goods in the resort at the pool area so you can check that out. Lots of woodwork, trinkets and handmade paintings. One artist will paint what you want if you give him a few days, not a bad price too. He made an 18X24 tropical ocean scene in my color choice with palms and my family swimming for $80.

I heartily recommend this resort as well as the whole Island of Jamaica to anyone who is thinking of going there. The people are great, their culture is wonderful, I love everything there is about Jamaica!

8  Thank dswenk
Reviewed 1 August 2007

We have just returned from 2 weeks staying at Beaches Boscobel (7th July - 21st July) and have had a wonderful holiday there.

The staff were the friendliest bunch and nothing was too much for them to do. We were in room 2114 right on the beach and Karen our chambermaid was an absolute star! Always happy and smiling and willing to have a chat with you. The room was always spotlessly clean with towels and linen changed daily.
The concierge service is great and Karen and StaceyAnne do a fab job - although not too sure about the bingo at the cocktail party!

Our children aged 6 and 8 went to kids camp and couldn't get enough of it - going back to play games in the evening which gave us some quality adult time together. Dawnette and Tashmarie were there 2 favourite staff members and they were fantastic with the children. The kids camp is very well run and fully organised so that they fill every minute of the day. Olivia particularly liked the arts and crafts and Tshirt dyeing. They both made lots of little friends there and are now constantly emailing across the world to them.

The food was excellent and the chefs would always make something a bit special for you in Bayside - Delroy and Michael were complete stars. We tried Eleanors and the food was very good and also Arizona and the BBQ park but we ate mainly in the Bayside restaurant. The waiting staff are very efficient and great fun too.

We spent most days on the beach as the pool tended to be quite crowded and noisy but the kids loved the childrens pool and the slides - and also the help yourself ice cream machine and slush puppies - kid heaven!

All the bar staff were good fun and Sean can make a mean cocktail or 2 - leave it up to her and she makes it up as she goes along!

My only niggle with the hotel is regarding the sunset cruise. We tried twice to book for a family cruise but it was full so went on standby. The boat takes about 26 people but on the day only 9 others bothered to turn up! Some had cancelled and some were no shows so we got on and had a fabulous trip. The guys were a real laugh and the swimming at James Bond beach as the sun was setting was wonderful. I can't understand why people would queue up from 7.30 in the morning to book the cruise and then not bother turning up and so deny others a space. My advise if you are told that the cruise is full is to turn up at 4.45 p.m and ask to go on standby and you are sure to get on.

I agree with another reviewer that some people are incredibly NOISY and shout at each other from across the beach or pool but then the English are always quiet......and not used to the volume of the some of the guests!

The weddings were sweet to watch but we got a bit bored by the time of the 6th one on a Saturday! Bet the vicar is well paid!

Dunns River Falls is a must to go on - you can hire shoes there for $5 a pair which was great bonus but the DVD for $40 was a bit steep but at least showed that we all had a good time!

All in all we had a lovely time at Beaches and would certainly recommend it to families with young children ( the teenagers all seemed to just mope about but then that is what teenagers do!)
It is a long flight from London but well worth it and the road isn't too bad now from the airport - we were amazed at how much it had improved in our 2 weeks. One word of advice is that our plane was the last of the night at 23.50 and all the shops were shut at the airport so buy any souveniers in resort.

Thanks to everyone at the hotel for making our break such fun and so relaxing - you are a credit to the hotel.

Liz Mason - London

5  Thank Kenleys
Reviewed 1 August 2007

We had a great time, the beaches were gorgeous, the people were super nice....My only issue was the whole Seasame Street deal. Fortunately we caught the shows next to the pool, and our 22 month old loved it! Now, my two older kids were not able to do all the activities offered to the kids, because i was unaware that we had to sign them up for the kids camp. And leave them there for how ever long. I was under the impression these were activities that we could of done as a family. We are on vacation as a family dont see the purpose in dropping them off and we go off doing our own thing. Also, i was planning on doing the character breakfast, but that is offered on Wednesdays; we arrived on Thursday and left on Tuesday...so we didnt get the chance. I wanted to do the photo session wth the characters, and that is offered on Tuesday afternoons, we left that morning...again we missed that. I believe the whole Seasame Street needs to be offered so no matter what day you travel you can still have the opportunity to do it. All the water sports were great, we all did enjoy that. The sunset cruise was nice, but my parents did it on Saturday and it was adults only, which is fine, and is why we signed up for MOnday, just we were failed to be told that on mondays kids can go....so our kids missed out on that ride, and i know they would have enjoyed it. We did have a great time, the kids did lot of swimming and really enjoyed the slides in the smaller pool....

3  Thank beachmom10
Reviewed 30 July 2007

Booked in the spring having honeymooned with Sandals some years earlier. Then 2 weeks before read a trip advisor review that absolutely slated the resort - on all counts! Suffice to say I was a little worried from that point on. Arrived and my first impression was that the resort was a little tired - showing its years. However, this was short lived as the service and attitude of virtually everyone working in the resort was excellent and this more than made up for the facilities being mildly shabby and dated in places. Kids club was particularly good - thanks Tracyann - and the food was brill. The Hobie Cats on the waterfront require proper, regular maintenance - they're being sent out in an unsafe condition I think - so do check visually before setting sail! Beach quite small so get your towels out early! and the gym equipment, while adequate, looks very dated now. None of these points deter me from giving 5 stars - we had such a great time!

2  Thank HairyMcClairy
Reviewed 28 July 2007

We just came back from beaches Boscobel - stayed there July 10-july 17. All services are great, our 11 year old daughter was very happy. I think if you have never been at any other Sandals or Beaches you will like this resort. In my opinion Beaches Boscobel is the oldest facility and the least fanciest, comparing to St.Lucia Regency Sandals and Ocho Rios Sandals. Nightly entertaiment was good, but the way they have the stage is a little strange - it is at the pool area and if you want to watch the show you need to sit on those pool lay out things, which is a little unconfortable if you not sun bathing. All people who are planning to book with Beaches/Sandals please be aware that Beaches/Sandlas will do the best the can in order NOT to grant you this sales promotion thay advertise - "Passport to Paradize" - resourt credit 125.00 (up to 2 passport fees per booking). I have faxed all my rebate papers on time - they have lost it. When we came to the resort - no credit there. People at the resort will not be able to help you there. So if you mail your "Passport to Paradize" rebate forms - please request receipt confirmation. Luckily I have faxed mine and I had fax confirmation page (at home). So when we came back I have called 1-888-Beaches and told them that they have lost my papers, as I have proof that I have sent all required on time. I have faxed them the fax confirmation page to prove it, but now they are saying I am not qualified because my UPS receipt from passport application doesn't specifically state that passport was "expedited". WOW...I have received standard receipt in the post office when I have applied for my daughter's passport, so everybody get the same standard receipt...Receipt shows $ 159.00 total, so it is obvious expedited service was requested. Secondly on the rebate form, there nothing there saying that you need to have this passport expedited, but this besides the point. I had to expedite , as we have been pretty tight with time, considering all this passort back log. So, basically they make rules as they go just not to pay people what they promised. The vacation was good, but this "rebate" issue left realy bad taste in my mouth.....

• Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank madmuasele
Reviewed 26 July 2007

It’s 3am and the driver from Murphy Airport transfers is standing at the front door. We run through a quick list – e-tickets, passports, Beaches documents, cash, and camera – check. We leave a light on and lock the doors, headed for JFK . There’s no traffic so we get there early. The baggage porter greets us as we exit and offers to check us at curbside. My wife steps over to the Delta kiosk with passports in hand, and 10 minutes later, we have our boarding passes and the baggage is checked in. No waiting in long lines, and no need to present the e-tickets.

We head over to the security line, empty our pockets, take off our shoes, and submit to the pat down and wand-over. Deemed safe to fly, we head to the food court for a breakfast. It’s 5:30am now, and we will have to wait until 4pm for another meal. We grab a couple of medium Starbucks and head over to the gate to wait for our plane. We get on the plane at 8:30am. The plane is full of excited travelers all heading to the 3rd largest island in the Caribbean. This is our second, but not last visit to the beautiful island of Jamaica. Takeoff is smooth and I can almost taste the rum punch now.

A smooth landing and its off to immigration. Signs on the wall ask for patience with the heat as they are installing air conditioning soon. With the new passport requirements, we find the processing much faster and friendlier. We head to the Beaches/Sandals reception area and I down two 10oz Red Stripes quickly while the kids grab a soda. Elmo appears and takes a picture with my daughter. After stopping by the Starfish Trelawny reception area, I head back to the comfort of the Red Stripe on tap. We get called for my transport to the resort. By now, a total of 3 men have handled our luggage and we express our gratuity with tips.

We meet our driver Donovan “Danny” Clarke of Juta Tours, and to our surprise, we have the van to ourselves with the exception of an electrician from Tennessee who is hooking up with his girlfriend at the resort on Monday. The other bus to the resort has about 4 or 5 families on it. Donovan is a super friendly and knowledgeable man who gave us a short Jamaican history lesson while mentioning all points of interest along the way. We stop halfway at a bar/gift shop/jerk restaurant and buy 5 beef patties, five sodas, some chips and ice cream. There’s no prices posted, so you are at their mercy. The patties are delicious and the soda ice cold. It’s back on the road for the rest of the trip. Not once did I feel the trip too long or traitorous, as I was taking in the beauty and uniqueness of the land and its people.

We finally arrive at the resort where I am greeted by an ice-cold rum punch. I give Donovan a $15 tip and he slips me his card and poses for a photo. We are led to the warm reception lobby and then it’s down to the concierge lounge where we receive more info before being led to our room on the beach level. Stacey-Ann leads us down to room 2102, which is a beachfront Honeymoon suite with an occupancy level of 4, but we’re squeezing 5 into it. The rollaway bed that I requested is already there and so is a nice welcoming fruit basket. I check the fridge; it’s full of Wata, Red Stripe, sodas, and fruit juices. A bottle of Appleton’s Rum sits on the desk; a welcoming gift from Beaches. Thanks Stacey Ann and all of the concierge staff for a great welcome.

The wife & kids don their bathing suits and head to the main pool while I wait for the bags. The bags arrive and I’m ready to get to the pool. I go to lock the door, but the keys don’t work, so I call and speak to concierge office that quickly sends Andre down. After 2 trips with different keys, Andre gets the right set and refuses a tip for his quick and courteous service, reminding me that it’s “no problem Mon.” He then sets the room radio to the local reggae station Irie-FM and leaves with a wave and a smile. Nice guy. I head up to the pool to cool off, and then grab a late lunch – a jerk chicken sandwich & fries at the BBQ pit. Good food, and great service with a smile. I head to the pool to meet Milton at the swim up bar. He gives me the customary fist tapping saying “we’ll take good care of you Mon.” These guys are fast and friendly and keep the spirits flowing. A late dinner at Arizona’s of jerk baby back ribs, corn on the cob, and Kendall Jackson pinot grigio end my first day with my family at Boscobel, and I’m snoring by 10pm.

I get up early on Sunday to take pictures of the property, then head to the Bayside for a nice breakfast of fresh fruit, coffee and a vegetable egg white omelet. The kids love the bacon, sausages, waffle station with fresh whipped cream and toppings, and fresh fruit juice smoothies. We walk around for a half hour, then head over to the pool and the two water slides. Through a wooden barrier behind the waterslides, you can see the new 9 waterslides being built and slated to open in December 2007; making a total of 11 waterslides. I hope they are adding a lazy river also like the one at Negril. You’ve probably already heard that you can bang your head pretty hard on the existing slides. The kid’s pool is not deep enough for kids or adults shooting out of the slides. There’s also a hot tub near the kids pool and the main pool. I also loved the waterfall in the main pool and the miniature one next to the kid’s pool. Did I mention I love this place yet? We head over to the Bayside for a great diner after a long day in the sun, and the sounds of the steel band at Appleton’s bar lulls me into an early sleep.

Monday is more of the same. The property has four or five flights of steps leading from the beach level to the pool. It’s good exercise and recommended more than the elevator, which is hot and has no air circulating in it. There’s a mini-gift shop called Cool-Blue on the beach level that sells beach toys, sun glasses, suntan lotions, snacks and cigarettes. Later in the afternoon as I’m drinking a Red Stripe in front of my suite, a passing employee from the Beach Sports office walked past and started chatting with me. I offered him a cigar that he gratefully accepted. Monday afternoon featured a Blue Mountain coffee tasting and also a Managers Welcome cheese & wine party poolside at 3pm. I purchased an 8-ounce bag for 16.99 and then enjoyed a mini-buffet with my older son. I had wine and fruit while my son had soda and fruit. He convinced me to try a piece or two of the fresh tuna sushi rolls wrapped in seaweed. I had never tried sushi, and it was good.

I had made reservations Monday night for the Italian restaurant called the Venetian through the concierge office, but missed our scheduled time, so we went there late It was full, so they led us to the Venetian Terrace, where we were greeted by a white-gloved waiter serving wine and soda for the kids. A hot and cold buffet was also available, but we skipped the food to leave room for the dinner. A wedding reception was wrapping up on the terrace as a beautiful sunset sank behind the palm trees, making a lasting memory for everyone watching it. Kemar was our outstanding server who took time out to really talk to us about where we were from and a little about himself. Much respect to Kemar. We took a walk after dinner, then back to the room for sleep by 9pm.

We spent the Tuesday at the beach, the waterslides, and the main pool. I missed a snorkeling trip I scheduled at 2pm because I was having so much fun with the kids at the waterslides. During the day, we watched shows at the main stage, visited the Xbox room in which only half of the stations were working. We weren’t here for video games, but it would be nice to keep the maintenance up on them. We also went on a glass bottom boat ride and took many pictures of the resort and the surrounding land. My oldest son & I briefly attended the concierge level cocktail party at the Appleton bar for a game of bingo, cocktails and buffet.

My wife and 2 younger kids went to Arizona for a Tex-Mex dinner while my eldest son & I headed over to the fine Caribbean Restaurant called Eleanor’s. We were the first ones seated with an ocean view from our table. It quickly filled up afterwards. The food and service were excellent. We had shrimp, ackee & salt fish, swordfish, snapper, pepper pot soup, coffee and dessert. We left there full and appreciative of the wonderful Jamaican people and their commitment to making each experience better than the last. There are many shows scheduled at the main stage at night, but we missed most of them because we were so tired.

I was up at 5am Wednesday and headed to the gym for some weights, treadmill and elliptical machine. The equipment is in good shape, and they have free weights, a Cybex station, a weight bench, 4 treadmills and 2 elliptical machines. The room has air-conditioning, fans, bathrooms with a shower each, wall mounted TVs, fresh towels and a water fountain. I was back to the room at 7am and woke my wife who ran 5 miles on the treadmill before returning for another fantastic breakfast at the Bayside. The steel band at breakfast adds a nice touch. We headed back to the pool after breakfast, trying to find an empty lounge not already claimed by the chair hoarders before 7am each day.

My 12-year-old son had done the entire 1-hour water aerobics class the day before and convinced my wife, my 7-year-old daughter and I to do it with him today. The instructor is tall and ripped, and I heard several middle age women fantasizing out loud to one another. Anyway, the stage started pumping dance music at 11:30am and the fun began. He walked us through kicks, punches, hops, walking back, forward and covering the length of the pool, it was a lot of fun. Next time I will do it every day.

After the hour class, I headed over to the bar, realizing that I had just done 2.5 hours of exercise before lunch. I downed a couple of tequila shots with salt & lime to congratulate myself, then headed of for some head banging fun on the slides, a game of pool (there are 2 pool tables by the kids slides) and dips back in the main pool and under the waterfall.

Lunch at the BBQ pit, and then shopping at the somewhat aggressive peddlers village to the right of the property where we purchased a painting, a wall hanging, 3 tee-shirts, a dress for my daughter, a shirt for my wife, 2 necklaces, and a couple of wooden animal carvings. My youngest son & daughter each got four braids; two on each side of their heads. I brought back some Red Stripe, water and juice for the people there. Each time you leave a shop, another peddler insists you visit their hut. They love to haggle, and my wife became an expert getting them to come down in price.

We took the Sunset cruise Wednesday night. It runs Monday & Wednesday night, and you have to register for it the day before at the Water Sports office. My eldest son opted out because he had gotten ill on the glass bottom boat cruise. Instead, he stayed behind and attended the SSG cocktail party held at the Piano Bar. The water was nice in the beginning, but then got a little choppy, making several guests seasick. Once again I captured some great pictures from the boat. The staff on this boat works at the waterslides, the banana boat, taking people out on catamarans etc. They are a friendly, professional, and great bunch of guys who joke with you the whole time, trying to put you at ease and enjoy your vacation. If you do this cruise, bring your bathing suit. They anchor in a cove of turquoise blue water where you are invited to dive in off of the sides of the boat. The staff goes to the upper level of the boat and they do magnificent dives off. We forgot our suits, but dove into the clear blue water in our clothes. They cranked the reggae while we were swimming.

Back on the boat and a late night farewell dinner at Arizona where we met a nice family from Massachusetts. My daughter fell asleep at the dinner table so I carried her back to the room and put her to bed. The Host of Arizona, I think his name is Rich wears a cowboy hat and tries his hardest to do a really good John Wayne. He remembered us from our other visits and bid us goodbye. A really nice guy. We packed our bags when we got back while watching an HBO movie.

Thursday was our saddest day; time to go home. Up at 5am again and to the gym for an hour & a half, wake up the wife for her 5-miler, and get the kids off to the Bayside. I took some final pictures and headed back to the room. My wife & kids went to the pool for one last hour. We had to check out at 11am and our bus was leaving at noon. We hit the main Cool Blue gift shop as our last stop for our free SSG t-shirts, and then headed to the lobby. This time, 5 families got on a large bus, and we got our very own bus to ourselves. This driver was older and not as friendly as Danny, but he spoke to my son about crocodiles and other Jamaican questions. He dropped us off in front of Sangster’s Airport where I gave him $10 and a bottle of rum. A porter grabbed our bags and took them right to Delta where we were checked in immediately. I gave him $5 for 4 bags. We headed through security that was smooth, although I did get wanded because my ballpoint pen set off the alarm.

We made our way to terminal 14 and checked out some duty free shops, the Jamaican Bobsled Café, and finally to the Air Margaritaville restaurant for lunch. Lunch set us back $70 for 3 kids meals, a jerk burger & red stripe for me, and a grilled chicken sandwich and soda for my wife. All big portions and the food was delicious. I did notice that the intense customer-satisfaction ethic so evident at the resort was missing at this place, with a hint of underlying resentment, but I brushed it off.

So, to wrap it up:
Karen our Housekeeper – 5 out of 5 stars
Swim up bar staff – 10 out of 5 stars
Beach Sports staff – 5 out of 5 stars
Restaurant staff – 5 out of 5 stars

Beaches Boscobel: Ya Mon!

9  Thank NJTRAVELERRJO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!