“Located close to Ocho Rios, a hotel with exceptional quality and service.”
Review of Moxons Beach Club

Moxons Beach Club
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Radium Hot Springs, Canada
“Located close to Ocho Rios, a hotel with exceptional quality and service.”
Reviewed 6 April 2011

Located on the north coast of Jamaica, just west of the bustling centre of Ocho Rios, this hotel positioned us for tours and sightseeing while offering food and beverage service on site. We rented a car at Montego Bay airport and decided to do some driving along the north coast. This location is centrally located to do day tours around Ocho Rios, (Dunns River Falls, Fern Gully), and longer tours to Port Antonio, (river rafting, Blue Hole).

The hotel offered us new, modern amenities in a clean, quiet environment. The restaurant had a great selection of food; we recommend the melt in your mouth ribs and locally caught fish. The bar had all the drinks you can think of and we enjoyed them while overlooking the ocean.

As experienced travellers, we appreciated the hassle free, secluded beach area which included sand and a pair of docks which allowed us to enjoy the sun all day long. A mile long reef off-shore kept the water calm on rough days, and provided an excellent snorkelling area which we swam to from the beach. Kayaks were also available to paddle around the sheltered waters.

Overall, we found this location an excellent value for the money, it's unique molding to the topography an experience which we never had before. Our room faced the ocean, we enjoyed sitting on our patio at night to see all the stars over the water. (Travellers in Ocho Rios missed out due to the city lights). We were lucky that we saw the hotel sign as we drove by because, inexplicably, Tripadvisor does not list this location under Ocho Rios. We did not see this hotel in our pre-trip research.

Room Tip: Quiet, clean, excellent food & great location.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2011

Our goal was to find a quiet alternative to the Spring Break crowd in Jamaica. We were delighted with Moxons and have many great memories from our relaxing time there. The food was excellent and we were made to feel like we were the only guests in the place. We ate at the patio restaurant every night and were entertained with films projected on the wall behind the pool. The staff were professional, attentive and unobtrusive. Moxons was spotless and fresh feeling. The biggest surprise for us was the reef a short swim from the hotel. We did some incredible snorkeling without sharks. One day 2 sting rays even glided beneath us as we swam along. Every evening we fell asleep to the sound of surf breaking on the reef. Heaven.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2voyage
New England, USA
Reviewed 5 March 2011

In February, I had the pleasure of a short visit to Moxon's with friends. What a beautiful place! The view of the sea and reef are incredible as was waking up to watch the sunrise there to the east. Beautiful..

We had a room on the top floor. Our room was not extra large, but was spotlessly clean and had a huge bathroom. The large covered veranda and open deck added a nice feel of additional space to the room. The property is seaside and is built into the hillside down to the sea. Definitely a challenge for less mobile visitors and those who can't manage steps. The many little spots to sit and enjoy the view were so inviting..I wish I had made time to relax at each one.

We enjoyed several meals in the restaurant which were all very good. Prices were decent and service was excellent. Service throughout our stay everywhere on the property was great. Much of our time was spent poolside and it was nice to have the poolside service from the bar when we felt like having a drink. I especially liked shady area off the pool. I was a perfect spot to escape from the sun and to catch an afternoon nap.

I very much enjoyed my stay at Moxon's and look forward to a return visit later in the year. It exceeded my expectations and everyone from Ava at the front desk to the owner were informative, welcoming, and made our stay perfect. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Thank Ms.L
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2011

Moxons Beach club is like a diamond in the rock. When I first pull up in the vehicle, I wasn't too impress, but once I enter throw the gate, I was blown away!! . inside was clean and beautiful. The room was clean, and the view, to die for!!!
I love the fact that I upgrade to a ocean view, we had our own private balcony. it was intimate and lovely. The bed, just right, I have a great night sleep beccause the bed was so comfy. The staff were friendly, and professional, the kept our bags locked up after we checked out because our driver was late, they even called a driver for us when our first driver had car problems and couldn't pick us up. Their driver was down to earth, and profession and took us to and from our destination withour charging us an arm and a leg as the expression goes. The one complain I had was that the TV had only 3 channel, and it wasn't clear to hear or see. But everything else was excellent, and yes I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 10 February 2011

I thought long and hard about writing this review because I do not want to imply a negative connotation. So I hope that the management understands. The staff was wonderful. Ava at the front desk is the sweetest person and could not have been more helpful. The waitstaff were great...the food excellent (for the one meal that we had eaten there), and the room was fabulous with wonderful ocean views and modern amenities.
That said..my complaint is that there were needs and wants that were not met. I've read every review about this hotel, and unfortunately misconstrued some of the details. Not saying that the details were deceitful..however there was some misrepresentation of the facts.
For example, the mention of a beach, including a recent picture of the reviewer's family on the beach. It should be noted that the beach was no more than 10-12 feet wide...and literally between a rock and a hard place.
My purpose in choosing this hotel is beacuse I assumed it was on a walkable beach. The intent was to be able to walk along the beach for both exercise and serenity. However, that was not possible. Yes, there was a small swimming area that was roped off...but it did not look inviting. There were a couple of kayaks, and snorkeling available...however, there was a good 30 - 40 feet swim out toward the reefs. I'm not that good of a swimmer.
I should not that my daughter and I had just spent a few days in Ocho Rios. It was wonderful, and we took all of the tours from there. I chose to spend a couple of days at Moxons based on the reviews that this is the "real" Jamaica. Really, the only thing that was "real Jamaican" about the hotel was the town of Stewartown. Because it is not a touristy area, you can walk along the main road amongst the regular people as they went about there lives. This was the form of exercise my daughter (who is 19) and I would get...walking along the main road. It was not always pleasant because the streets were busy with cars, and dogs and goats on the walkways were not always pleasant. However, we were able to walk to the market and to a coulple of local restaurants.
The food at Moxons was ver expensive...$16.00 for a dish of oxtails and beans and rice. While in Ocho Rios, we were able to walk around and frequent the local restaurants. The restaurants in Stewartown were limited.
Also, it should be noted that Moxons was ALL stairs. I've read about the steps...however I assumed there were also linear walkways. The only linear walkway was from the front desk to the reception area, and the small dining area. This is why we had to walk along the main road...to stretch our legs. There is a treadmill in the exercise room for anyone wanting to exercise.
We were the only guests that first night. In spite of this, the staff continued with their duties and made us feel very comfortable. The dining room was open the entire time, as well as the pool.
So, my recommendation of this hotel is for couples or anyone who wants to lounge around, don't mind the expensive food, and for groups of people who can get together and interact. However, for my daughter and I, we were bored stiff and couldn't wait to leave. If we hadn't spent $30 for the 15 minute ride one way from Ocho Rios, we would have traveled back there for our last day on the island...just to do something fun.
If you are looking for a walkable, swimmable beach..and to walk around outside of the hotel on your own..or have difficulty manuevering stairs, this is not the place.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank aquablue
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 31 December 2010

Visit date: July 2008 7 nights with parents and girlfriend (now wife)

This review is long over due. ( I have more photos if you'd like to see) After an extensive search and research of locating the perfect hotel/resort/lodge I decided to give Moxons Beach Club my business based on previous photos and reviews. I also messaged some of their past guest and received positive feedback. They hooked me up with Jamrock Tours who provided my family with private transportation to and from the airport and our daily excursions. Eugene (Jamrock Tours) waited on us hand and foot during our stay; he was better than a personal butler!

The staff (from the front Desk- Natallia, right down to the life guard- Toto) was EXCELLENT. They always greeted us with smiles and were always available. The meals were served fresh and honestly tasted better than any diamond resort could offer. Shout out to the Chef!!!

The beach club itself is private in the fact that it caters to a small number of guests versus the big resort crowds. The view from the ocean view rooms are second-to-none. The have a private beach and any water activities you may be interested the staff will arrange for you to be picked up at their private dock. WAY TO COOL!

We went scuba diving, snorkeling, parasailing, dunes river fall, zip line tour, we went to the flee market, tubbing, golf, etc... We did something everyday! *** it was a vacation after all ***

I proposed to my girlfriend and the private beach there provided the perfect backdrop.

Thank you Johanne (Owner) for the wonderful experience, my wife and I look forward to spending an anniversary there.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 31 December 2010

Customer services was superb and we have been to Jamaica many times but this is where we really got customer service. We saw the genuineness in their smiles especially Ava (front desk consultant/concierge), she was so helpful and pleasant. The owner/manager Johann is very much involved ensuring that guests are well taken care of. The view is very spectacular and splendid when standing on the reef. There is a nice size pool to relax. It has a nice gym although the recumbent bicycle was a bit noisy. The design of the rooms and cleanliness is perfect. The rest of the staff (security/servers/housekeeping staff) were very pleasant and courteous. One thing we would suggest is getting more cable channels or at least making sure all the rooms are able to get more channels so there are choices. Overall, it was a good stay and we would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank josie14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Jamaica Inn
Kaz Kreol Beach Lodge
Kaz Kreol Beach Lodge
#10 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club

Been to Moxons Beach Club? Share your experiences!