“Fantastic”
Review of Moxons Beach Club

Moxons Beach Club
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I cannot say enough about this beautiful Beach Club. After 22 hours of travelling we were greeted by a very nice young lady who checked us in without a problem. My room had a beautiful view, lots of hot water, great water pressure and you could drink the water and not get sick - that was a huge bonus in my book. The Beach Club is a beautiful 20 room resort - I did not want to spend my holiday sharing space with hundreds of others. We ate and drank at the resort for 2 weeks and the tab at the end of my stay was extremely reasonable. I would recommend Moxon's to anyone wanting a great experience in Jamaica. To the owner, I say another thank you for your hospitality and for making my first trip in12 years a huge success.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank BCer48

Reviewed 24 January 2010

Writing another review on Moxon's because I returned for a second stay a year after my first and had a great time again. The customer service is really outstanding.
Last year they added on a gym with treadmills and other machines, yoga mats and free weights. And they are in the process of adding more rooms on to the side of the hotel.
Hope to be back next year.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2010

I booked a week long stay at Moxon's for our honeymoon after reading all the positive reviews describing it as an intimate botique hotel. We arrived in Jamaica, took a taxi there, and our cab driver was surprised that we wanted to go there. Upon pulling up we understood why.. There were partially constructed shacks that were falling apart to the side of their building. We tried to look past that, but the check in started off pretty poorly.

I told them we would be arriving early that day and that we wanted to be able to drop off our bags right away. They didn't have a room ready so we went to their restaurant to pass some time.

The food was expensive, but it tasted great! The service was superb and it was the best part of our stay. After the meal our room was ready so we went in to the room. It was a nice sized room with a veranda. It was incredibly hot in the room so we turned on the window AC unit and the fan. It made zero difference even after hours of running. It was still miserably hot so I opened the mini fridge to see what they had. There were two Red Stripe beers, better than nothing, I decided to pay whatever it cost (it didn't have a price listed). Of course I had the issue of opening it; they didn't think about leaving a bottle opener in the room..

Then we decided to tour the hotel so we walked down to the ocean and admired the view. That was until we turned around and again saw the neighboring properties. There was at least 6 feet of trash floating on the shore line, weeds all over Moxon's shore line, and a stoned guy who was the life guard / snorkeling guy. He not so discretely stared my wife up and down and made us both uncomfortable.

We went back to the room for the night and realized they didn't have a phone in the room, there was no dead bolt on the door, they had Internet but didn't provide a cable in the room to hook up (or wifi). The back door leading to the veranda didn't lock, and considering the neighborhood we didn't feel safe.

We decided it wasn't what we wanted for a honeymoon. We went to shower that morning and had zero water pressure and the water wasn't heated. We gave up and asked to check out that same morning. The owner of Moxon's refused even a partial refund and said we had to pay for the full week. I left anyway and decided to stay at an all inclusive resort in Ocho Rios. We loved it there and had a great time in Jamaica.

Moxon's wins points for great food and an amazing ocean view. They lose a lot of points for an out of date room, a horrible area, not having basic security features like doors with deadbolts, not having a phone in the room, a rude owner, a creepy staff member, non-working air conditioning, no water pressure, and zero hot water. I actually paid less at the all inclusive resort once you factor in food prices, and the resort quality was much higher!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MidwestExplorer
Reviewed 29 November 2009

This is a great place to stay, I traveled between Kin to Negril and this hotel has a really nice view and the staff is just as great as hotel. They help you a lot, always with a smile. I will keep the address into my favorites!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2009

This place was very relaxing and calming right on the reef. Everyday after work i would go snorkel on the reef. The place was recently redesigned by art deco design. Each room is different and most are ocean views. Ask Ray to give you a tour of the rooms. The staff was pleasent, Ava at the reception, Williard at the bar, and the beautiful Andrea serving food. There was only one other couple staying there during my stay, so the place did not have much going on. They do have movie night (ask for a James Bond movie, which was filmed around the area).

My only gripes of the place was there were only 5 tv channels, the internet worked spotty, and the breakfast was not free and expensive. But if you want to go to a relaxing place, this place is very comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank allenj28
Reviewed 24 August 2009

First of all like stated in another review we visited several hotels throughout our journey in Jamaica so this gives me an idea the situation.

This one was a little tricky to me, as I wasnt familiar with how big Jamaica was I expected Boscobel to be rather near Ocho Rios but actually this is about a 30 minutes drive. So we arrived with a bit of a hassle with the driver. That aside when you arrive the frontside could use a bit of work. It has a small entrance and no proper pavement.

But then when you walk in you get to see where the pictures are shot, the frontside of the hotel is faced towards the blue sea and it's just great. We had a room which was pretty fair except for some small ants but further the temperature was just good. You do have to pay attention what room you get as they also have some rooms on the patio which are rather dark. The people who work there are always friendly and always ready to help you with whatever you feel. We had breakfast there as well for lunch which was pretty good though we didn't try dinner as the dinner-list was a bit limited in our opinion. Though as usually no problem mon they fix you a driver and we had twice an excellent dinner at Evita.
Further they have the option todo some snorkling and some evenings they play movies which is just great together with a nice drink from the bartender.

End verdict, it's a nice small hotel with a friendly staff. For sure a place I'll come back again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JHP_Zuidervliet
Reviewed 4 March 2009

I was looking forward to my two night stay away from the scene in Ocho Rios during a business trip. What I was not prepared for was the hotel's location near a garrison town and all the noise and general sense of unease that went with that.

I should have suspected something when the hotel demanded an unrefundable payment of US$293.00 for one night acomodation in advance. And this was clearly non-refundable when I arrived to book in and very quickly decided that this was neither the safe nor boutique style hotel advertised on the site and left immediately to find other accomodation. There was no compromise that would satify the night manager on refuding even a part of this New York level cost. The glowing reviews of this hotel on Trip Advisor can only lead me to speculate that the owner of this hotel must have many friends (?).

The staff - security and others - clearly outnumbered the guests and spent a good deal of time milling about. Although always reasonably friendly there was a menacing quality to their presence that I can definitely do without in a resort setting.

Before, kind readers assume that I might not be used to conditions outside of overpriced New York hotels, I am at pains to point out that my work takes me to much of the developing world and I have stayed in hotels both modest and high end. In fact, I just returned from Accra, Ghana where my hotel room overlooked an adhoc and very noisy market. I was quite pleased with my modest accomodations in this hot, big and crazy African city a world away from the resort destination of Ocho Rios. The safety of this accomodation was without question and the amenities, although modest, were certainly enought to satisfy a certain level of comfort.

I think Moxons should be a little more truthful about their location and their amenties and maybe seek to bring their prices more in line with what they have to offer.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
7  Thank BennyCanada
Management response:Responded 24 May 2010

Sadly these guests were not comfortable in a boutique hotel environment, they were worried that they were the only white guests that they could see at the time they checked in, which was at 7:30 am, our ususal check in is 1pm we told them they could check in earlier like 10-11am..
They said they did not feel safe, since everybody seamed to be black., I told them that being in Jamaica at a non inclusive hotel they would be around Jamaican people, I told them I would glady refund their money once their credit card did clear and we made arrangements for them to move to a large all inclusive type property within 24 hours. We do not want unhappy people spreading their negative fear, I'm sure they were happier in the safety of their own.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Jamaica Inn
Hibiscus Lodge Hotel
Hibiscus Lodge Hotel
#9 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Moxons Beach Club? Share your experiences!