“If you want to be pampered in paradise, this is your place.”
Review of Moxons Beach Club

Moxons Beach Club
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Vermont
“If you want to be pampered in paradise, this is your place.”
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We cannot say enough about how wonderful Moxons is. We just got back from a one week stay there, and Moxons was amazing. It is quiet, peaceful, and beautiful. The staff learned our names, and they couldn't do enough for us. They would bring us drinks down by the water, or on our private patio, or in the shaded lanai. Someone took us snorkeling. They recommended places for us to see, and taught us about the Jamaican lifestyle. If you are looking for loud parties and dancing all night, this isn't your place. However, if you are looking for a calm, peaceful retreat by the ocean, this should be where you go. The owner has done amazing work to make this place beautiful.

We walked to the local supermarket, and we bought fruit from a local vendor. We felt safe the entire time we were there. Most of the time our windows were wide open to enjoy the refreshing breezes. On the couple occasions when we wanted to use the air conditioning, it worked without any problem at all. We had plenty of hot water, and the water pressure was not an issue. And, being tall, the fact that the shower head was high was an added bonus!

The restaurant at the hotel has a nice assortment of foods, and they will cook your order the way you want it done. The chefs take great pride in the food they serve.

This is a hidden gem right outside of Ocho Rios. We will definitely return for a stay!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vermont312

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Quesnel
Reviewed 12 April 2010

I needed some serious R&R after the busy Christmas season, so a few friends and myself decided to vacation and stay at Moxons Beach Club, which was highly recommended to us by our other friends who raved about their stay there. I had seen a few of the pictures on Moxons site but believe me they did not do it any justice. When we arrived at the hotel we immediately felt at home as the friendly staff checked us in and took us to our chosen rooms that had balconies overlooking the Carribean Sea.....it was... beyond beautiful....We were indeed in "Heaven".

We got to the beach in time to see the sunset.......at that moment we were all chilled-out and totally relaxed. We really had intended to spend little time at the hotel and investigate the island but as it turned out we spent most of our time at the hotel. We loved the fresh meals that we received by the two chefs that cooked for us daily, their food was absolutely delicious and it was obvious that they loved cooking.... they were truly quite creative and talented in the culinary arts. Any problems we had were immediately resolved and anything we required was made possible. We also had great service down at the beach and a staff member was there most of the day in order to take us snorelling, swimming, serving us drinks or food or just to leave us be quietly on our own..... whatever we needed there was always someone to help us.
We also met the lady who had rebuilt Moxons Beach Club, what an inspiration she is..... and she was also terrific to us. You could see how much pride she had in her hotel( rightly so) and during our stay there she made an appearance quite often to make sure all was well with us. Johanne gave us some history lessons on Jamaica and the things to do on the island.....it was clear to us how much she loves Jamaica and its people, and that really touched all of us.
We had a most amazing time at Moxons (we now all call it our second home) and with Johanne and her wonderful staff and we have already made up our minds that we're definitely coming back and doing it all again next year.....it seems this time a few more of our friends want to share in our next adventure, on February in 2011. We all absolutely recommend Moxons.....it is Paradise.... take it from me.....Linda, and friends

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank gerlindeQuesnel
British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I cannot say enough about this beautiful Beach Club. After 22 hours of travelling we were greeted by a very nice young lady who checked us in without a problem. My room had a beautiful view, lots of hot water, great water pressure and you could drink the water and not get sick - that was a huge bonus in my book. The Beach Club is a beautiful 20 room resort - I did not want to spend my holiday sharing space with hundreds of others. We ate and drank at the resort for 2 weeks and the tab at the end of my stay was extremely reasonable. I would recommend Moxon's to anyone wanting a great experience in Jamaica. To the owner, I say another thank you for your hospitality and for making my first trip in12 years a huge success.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank BCer48
NYC
Reviewed 24 January 2010

Writing another review on Moxon's because I returned for a second stay a year after my first and had a great time again. The customer service is really outstanding.
Last year they added on a gym with treadmills and other machines, yoga mats and free weights. And they are in the process of adding more rooms on to the side of the hotel.
Hope to be back next year.

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Minnesota
Reviewed 14 January 2010

I booked a week long stay at Moxon's for our honeymoon after reading all the positive reviews describing it as an intimate botique hotel. We arrived in Jamaica, took a taxi there, and our cab driver was surprised that we wanted to go there. Upon pulling up we understood why.. There were partially constructed shacks that were falling apart to the side of their building. We tried to look past that, but the check in started off pretty poorly.

I told them we would be arriving early that day and that we wanted to be able to drop off our bags right away. They didn't have a room ready so we went to their restaurant to pass some time.

The food was expensive, but it tasted great! The service was superb and it was the best part of our stay. After the meal our room was ready so we went in to the room. It was a nice sized room with a veranda. It was incredibly hot in the room so we turned on the window AC unit and the fan. It made zero difference even after hours of running. It was still miserably hot so I opened the mini fridge to see what they had. There were two Red Stripe beers, better than nothing, I decided to pay whatever it cost (it didn't have a price listed). Of course I had the issue of opening it; they didn't think about leaving a bottle opener in the room..

Then we decided to tour the hotel so we walked down to the ocean and admired the view. That was until we turned around and again saw the neighboring properties. There was at least 6 feet of trash floating on the shore line, weeds all over Moxon's shore line, and a stoned guy who was the life guard / snorkeling guy. He not so discretely stared my wife up and down and made us both uncomfortable.

We went back to the room for the night and realized they didn't have a phone in the room, there was no dead bolt on the door, they had Internet but didn't provide a cable in the room to hook up (or wifi). The back door leading to the veranda didn't lock, and considering the neighborhood we didn't feel safe.

We decided it wasn't what we wanted for a honeymoon. We went to shower that morning and had zero water pressure and the water wasn't heated. We gave up and asked to check out that same morning. The owner of Moxon's refused even a partial refund and said we had to pay for the full week. I left anyway and decided to stay at an all inclusive resort in Ocho Rios. We loved it there and had a great time in Jamaica.

Moxon's wins points for great food and an amazing ocean view. They lose a lot of points for an out of date room, a horrible area, not having basic security features like doors with deadbolts, not having a phone in the room, a rude owner, a creepy staff member, non-working air conditioning, no water pressure, and zero hot water. I actually paid less at the all inclusive resort once you factor in food prices, and the resort quality was much higher!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank MidwestExplorer
Curitiba
Reviewed 29 November 2009

This is a great place to stay, I traveled between Kin to Negril and this hotel has a really nice view and the staff is just as great as hotel. They help you a lot, always with a smile. I will keep the address into my favorites!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
West Palm Beach, FL
Reviewed 29 August 2009

This place was very relaxing and calming right on the reef. Everyday after work i would go snorkel on the reef. The place was recently redesigned by art deco design. Each room is different and most are ocean views. Ask Ray to give you a tour of the rooms. The staff was pleasent, Ava at the reception, Williard at the bar, and the beautiful Andrea serving food. There was only one other couple staying there during my stay, so the place did not have much going on. They do have movie night (ask for a James Bond movie, which was filmed around the area).

My only gripes of the place was there were only 5 tv channels, the internet worked spotty, and the breakfast was not free and expensive. But if you want to go to a relaxing place, this place is very comfortable.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank allenj28
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Jamaica Inn
Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
GoldenEye
GoldenEye
#1 of 2 in Oracabessa

Been to Moxons Beach Club? Share your experiences!