“Fantastic place, highly recommend for a unique experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
Posada Andrea Cristina
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Truly unique B&B and would highly recommend to anyone visiting Sarpiqui who are looking for a unique and interesting stay. What made Alex's place special is the host, his family and the wonderful atmosphere. We had a great night feeding off Alex's enthusiasm for nature and whenever there was an opportunity he'd be showing us some creature in the garden. We stayed in the tree-house which was brilliant. I'd recommend choosing one of these if you can. They were really comfortable and well constructed. There is something special about staying in the canopy and being woken by the birds in the morning. A wonderful stay which I'll not forget.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed with Alex and family as part of a small tour and it was really a highlight of my vacation. The hosts are wonderful - Alex, Kevin, and their families are welcoming and friendly - very Pura Vida attitude. If you are in CR to see wildlife and really have a different experience you must stay here. Such a great a value!

Both Alex and Kevin have an extensive knowledge of the local wildlife. We went to Alex's rescue property outside of town and we enjoyed a bird watching tour with Kevin one morning and saw so many wonderful things (macaw, parrots, and toucans just to start). On top of that, there are many birds, frogs, and a sloth at the b&b.

The cabins/rooms and at least some of the furniture are beautifully crafted by Alex using only wood from trees that are already down - no cutting just to build. I had the honeymoon cabin and loved it. Plenty of space, comfortable, and I thought it was quiet.

Other reviewers had concerns about the bugs. Alex is a naturalist so I was told he doesn't use pesticides, therefore there are bugs. It really wasn't an issue for me. We had a mosquito net at our bed but it didn't seem necessary and when outdoors I covered up to avoid bites as one should. I never saw anything in my room.

No hot water - that was true. But seriously, it's SO hot in Costa Rica and the water temperature felt great after a day outside. Also no A/C but I had a nice breeze with the windows open.

Breakfast was excellent too. Alex makes the bread every night so I ate a lot of it. Eggs, fruit, and coffee rounded it out.

You can walk to town or call a quick taxi. Easy access to restaurants.

This place was a highlight of my trip and I hope I am able to return!

Room Tip: The honeymoon cabin is very spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We have been here in 2013 and had a really good time. Alex is very nice and helpful. The room was in very good condition and in the garden we have had the wonderful opportunity to take pictures from the tree-frogs. We really felt like home here and can recommend this place!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I loved staying here. It may just be my favorite hotel I stayed at during my 14 day stay in Costa Rica. The owner, Alex welcomes you to this lodge (that he made all himself) and treats you like family. His house is on the property so he is always nearby to help you out. His son is also fabulous and drove us to many of our excursions (white water rafting). As soon as we pulled up to the establishment we saw a sloth sitting in one of his palm trees! Definitely a sight to see. Each room has its own charm...some are private houses, others treehouses. I myself stayed in one of the treehouses and thoroughly enjoyed myself! Everything was very clean, but just make sure to spray yourself with a ton of bug spray before you go to sleep! This area is probably the worst for mosquitos. Otherwise, our stay was great. Alex stocked beers in his fridge for us and charged us a price cheaper than all the local bars. He cooks breakfast and squeezes fresh juices every morning for his guests. He also built a rescue for injured animals not too far away and will gladly take you there to meet some animals and bird-watch.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Absolutely loved this place! Beautiful setting with plants everywhere, like a little jungle. Birds all around, thanks to the fruits placed on feeders for them. The cabina was rustic but clean and cute. It can get a little noisy in the morning, and also at night when it rains on the roof. The owner, Alex, is one of the nicest people we met during our trip. He is a true birds lover and took some of his time to show us red-eyed frogs as well as a sloth in his garden. He makes the most amazing bread for breakfast (which, by the way, was very filling and delicious) and is always there to please. His son Alex is a fantastic birding guide. Despite our early morning tour being cancelled by the heavy rain, he still stayed around to show us species around the property and his knowledge is obvious. This place is a great family-owned little jungle retreat. We would definitely go back!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Irene514
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Very friendly welcome by the family, serpentine paths through the tree and plant filled garden, rustic and spacious chalets. A fridge in the breakfast area for your beer, water or fruit.
I was able to get a photo of their famous red eyed frogs soon after checking in. There was road noise, but it was soon drowned out by the pouring rain. Alex was kind enough to show me the two rescue parrots and baby kinkajou that they are getting ready for release, the two resident sloths (1 rescue, 1 volunteer) were hiding in the tree-tops, Just the place to relax, or as a base for wildlife expeditions, or fun on water or horseback.
It is not 5* luxury, but for 35$ it is great value for money.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 April 2013

As pointed out before, the owners are very friendly, breakfast is excellent and there are lots of birds and even frogs to spot right on the facilities. The place is very close to La Selva and rooms are just great to relax in the evening. Drawbacks are the proximity to the highway and the omnipresence of wildlife (the nasty kind, too). Watch out for those ants crossing the paths!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Horquetas
Heliconia Island Bed & Breakfast
Heliconia Island Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 5 in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui

Been to Posada Andrea Cristina? Share your experiences!