Yes all the reviews you have read in TA are true!
Yes not a luxury hotel. But a unique adventure with comfort amenities
for $90 plus tax ($15x2 entrance fee and $10x2 breakfast) for a base cost of $40/night.
ours single + Q, yes the Q is next to the wall. We just moved the night stand to another part of the very very large room then moved the bed away from the wall., Plenty of room for both of us to get out and used the single for our suitcases etc. Bed comfortable. AC worked extremely well. Crystal clear wall of windows (some one is washing them daily) with own bird show if inside looking out or sitting on patio. Simple tile floor and furnishings including safe and pleanty of hanging and get your stuff off the floor open storage.. Plenty of hot water- just let it run until it gets to you then it never stops. Yes water Is NOT potable so fill your pitcher from the water coolers for brushing your teeth.
Yes, as all over CR. TP goes into trash not toilet.
Other room choices: 2 bunks with AC, 2 bunks with no AC.
Missing: ice but water coolers everywhere with cold water, and cold drinks in cafeteria and can buy cola in gift shop
We loved the food. Simple typical tico but very well executed. We ate next door at the rain forest lodge one night (contiguous with a gate between). Their food on menu included chicken kiev but ok food but Tirimbina just done better.
Home made bread. Eggs to cook your style (just ask). 2 main dishes with rice, beans, plantains, salad, fruity ice tea or fruit juice, coffee and tea.
Missing: mosquitos. never had to use deet
From your room or an the grounds : Flowers everywhere. Parking lot Toucans, just outside dining room macaws, hummingbirds, woodpeckers gorgeous "other" birds outside my patio. Red/blue legs frogs on my patio
Guided walk: birds galore, sloths, monkeys, snakes (running away form me of course), flowering bushes and trees.
Cocoa tour: a popular and big hit even for the skeptics
Lazy boat tour down the river: holler monkeys, iguana, birds galore, caymen crocs. The hotel even arrange pick up and drop off for us.
Tip: schedule your tours before you come. Big groups come in with prearranged tours. The front worked hard and found a places for us at but not clear that would happen.
Large tours (think 8 grade groups and large birder groups) come in for lodging and tours. Not feel crowded but not a place for luxury romantic stay- no room service etc.
I loved the place, the service, nature and food. Like an well done summer camp.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Sarapiqui region, the Tirimbina Rainforest Lodge along the Sarapiqui River, is contiguous to a Biological Reserve of 852.5 Acres.We offer 12 comfortable rooms with A/C, safe deposit box, hot water, WI-FI, and phone. Enjoy our welcoming atmosphere and discover the exciting tropical forest, walking along several trails and suspension bridges of tropical forest and river discoveries from our study trails and bridges.Services (Restaurant, laundry , 24h security, a be-lingual staff welcomes)Facilities (souvenir shop, parking lot, A/C conference room, library, internet access) Attractions: (More than 9km trails, chocolate tour, bird watching, bat program, self walking tour, guided tour, night walking tour, eco education programs, volunteer and research opportunities and more) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers and Agoda so you can book your Tirimbina Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tirimbina Hotel La Virgen
- Tirimbina Lodge Sarapiqui, Costa Rica - La Virgen