“Great photography stop for all sorts of birds!”

Dave & Dave's Costa RIca Nature Pavilion Park
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in La Virgen
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This BBC Wildlife Magazine and National Geographic published destination offers a 2 hour guided tour by the owners. The tour begins with a brief history of the nature park followed by visits to Dave & Dave's Mirador and the Hummingbird Balcony. Reservation required at least 1 hour before the tour. Price per adult $40. Childrens rates available. Free delicious coffee and Wi-Fi.
Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great photography stop for all sorts of birds!”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My husband and I stopped here on our way from driving from one hotel to another, and we are so glad we did. We stopped in the morning of New Year's Day, which was actually a great time since there weren't that many other people around. The hosts (father and son, sorry guys I can't remember your names!) were both SUPER friendly! The father chatted with me for a bit while my husband got some great hummingbird shots. He was really easy to talk to and very knowledgeable about the birds and the land. Before we left, the son chatted with us a bit and gave us some recommendations for fun things to do in our next town. We aren't super big bird people, but it was still a really cool place to go. Bring your bug spray if you take the trail down to the river - it's mosquito heaven there :-) A very calm, relaxing place to spend a couple of hours - yet also an exciting place for all the neat birds you can see!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Katie A
David L, Owner at Dave & Dave's Costa RIca Nature Pavilion Park, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Hi there and thanks for taking time to write a great review for the Nature Pavilion. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and found it so relaxing. We have designed the experience to be enjoyable and relaxing because after all you are on vacation to do just this! I hope you enjoyed your time in La Fortuna as well. Thanks again for the great review! Your friends Dave & Dave

bristol
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A fantastic place to watch and photograph birds”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We were so glad we visited the Nature Pavilion. Dave, who showed us around was so proud, and enthusiastic, with an abundance of knowledge about the birds.
The Pavilion is set up with bird feeding stations, for humming birds and bigger birds, and planted with native trees and plants to attract them. It was easy even for a novice like me to get some great photos of the brilliantly coloured birds.
A truly memorable and beautiful experience. We thank you for enabling the public to visit your amazing birding paradise.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank BristolNightingale
David L, Owner at Dave & Dave's Costa RIca Nature Pavilion Park, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thanks so much for your support. It was a pleasure meeting you and sharing this experience. Simply by vising the Nature Pavilion guests from around the world contribute to our reforestation project. Thanks so much for stopping by. Your friend Dave.
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“THE place to go to enjoy some of Costa Rica’s most spectacular birds”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I’ve lived in Costa Rica for some twenty years and in that time have been blessed to meet some truly wonderful people and awe-inspiring wildlife. On a recent visit to The Nature Pavilion I was treated to both in one magical afternoon. When my husband and I arrived at The Nature Pavilion we were greeted by owners Dave Sr. and Dave Jr., a father and son team with a wealth of local knowledge, a heart for conservation, and a track record of reforestation. Together they have created a garden oasis for some of the tropics most spectacular birds. When we stepped into the covered pavilion we found ourselves amidst an avian paradise of perches, flowers and fruit. The striking iridescence of a Green Honeycreeper immediately caught my eye. As it perched only feet away, a White-necked Jacobin – one of the crown-jewels of the hummingbird world – suddenly appeared. Seconds later my husband pointed out a Collared Aracari - a colorful toucan adorned with glossy black, red and yellow plumage. As I turned back to look at the Aracari, I realized we had just discovered a very special place.

The open-air deck at The Nature Pavilion provides 360 degree views of tropical greenery and flowers and every glance within is met by one spectacular bird after another, more beautiful still. Over 200 species of birds reside in the area. Both the novice and professional birder will find the pavilion habitat-par-excellence. Patrick O’Donnell, a bird guide in Costa Rica once logged 85 species on the property in just three hours! Hummingbirds, tanagers, toucans and Oropendolas abound. Definitely bring your camera! With flowers and perches just feet away, the pavilion provides some of the best vantages for photography I’ve experienced in Costa Rica.

While our visit was accompanied by sunny, blue skies, the shelter of the pavilion would also provide incredible access to observe the birds and their behavior in the rain. Some of my favorite photographs are images of birds jiving and flittering about it wet weather. From the comfort of the pavilion, one can enjoy a cold beverage, or smooth cup of Costa Rican coffee, while capturing prize-winning images.

On our visit, as we admired and photographed tropical birds of every color, Dave Sr. invited us to a second viewing deck, which overlooks the Tirimbina rain forest. We began to talk about our shared experiences of living in Costa Rica, wildlife, and reforestation. Dave Landos, with over 30 years of experience in Costa Rica, is one of the nicest gentlemen you could meet and he has a passion for planting. Dave and his son have partnered with the Organization for Tropical Studies to reforest areas that decades ago were stripped by agriculture. As we looked out at the forest beyond, the fruits of their efforts were obvious. Almendro trees – a species critical to the survival of the Great Green Macaw are thriving now. It was fascinating to learn about their project and their lives and see first-hand how sustainable tourism in the Sarapiqui region can benefit the rainforest and its inhabitants.

It truly was a wonderful visit and one I would highly recommend to everyone. Thanks so much David and Dave for your lovely hospitality and sharing this magical place you’ve created. We will be back!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank TracieTheBugLady
David L, Owner at Dave & Dave's Costa RIca Nature Pavilion Park, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Tracie thanks so much for this excellent review. Your review captures the essence of the Nature Pavilion and the reason that we work so hard to offer this experience to thousands of travels from around the world. Wishing you great success with all of your projects! Your amigos Dave & Dave.
Las Vegas, Nevada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A great place”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I would like to give my strongest recommendation to the Nature Pavilion. This is not just a premier birding location both for birders and photographers it is a true nature happening. My experience here is this is one of the very best locations that I have ever spent my time photographing at - anywhere. The owners Dave and Dave are helpful to the highest degree you will ever receive, any question or assistance you may require they will get it done for you. The availability and diversity of birds to see is extraordinary. The Dave’s constantly set the food on perfectly camouflaged perches and the birds come all day long. The flow of assorted Hummingbirds is constant and never ending. The location is covered from any rain and viewing is 360 degrees open air. Not a hide making things difficult and hot. The open air is fantastic and comfortable.

They can also arrange other opportunities from frogs, reptiles, lizards and macaws.

They have a magnificent affordable accommodation rental with very secure parking. Even if you are not staying with them they will almost instantly respond to your questions in my visit planing portion they provided the fastest most comprehensive pre plan information. You also have computer access available along with electrical charging. Very close there is good food available along with convenience and grocery stores. There is good reason that this is a National Geographic selected location.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Doug54321
David L, Owner at Dave & Dave's Costa RIca Nature Pavilion Park, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Great to hear from you Doug! My father and I totally enjoyed our time with you and your group. Thanks for the exceptional review of our photography offerings. Your feedback as an accomplished wildlife photographer is invaluable. We are looking forward to seeing you again and again here at the Nature Pavilion. Best wishes from your friends Dave & Dave.
Milwaukee
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Easy birdwatching”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

If you like birding, but you are not committed to walk more than 1 mile to get a picture, then this is the right place: in a nice setting, in a comfortable place you can observe, in a good day over 40 species of birds, some of them very attractive, with an excellent setting for picture. The owners Dave and David, was very nice, and able to answer and help to enjoy a great experience. Easy access from the main road.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank carcalumo
David L, Owner at Dave & Dave's Costa RIca Nature Pavilion Park, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thanks so much for this great review! Many of our guests have commented on how easy and fun it is to see birds and other wildlife here at the Nature Pavilion. Located on the main road and with trails to the Sarapiqui river we make wildlife viewing very convenient and enjoyable. We are very glad you enjoyed your time here and look forward to possibly seeing you back here in paradise again soon. Best. Dave & Dave