“Very Nice place, but check your matrass” 3 of 5 bubbles

Sarapiquis Rainforest Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 La Virgen B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Bruges, Belgium
“Very Nice place, but check your matrass”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

I was really looking forward to our stay in this hotel. The pictures from the site were so nice (traditional wooden cabins , wonderful swimming pool. Driving in the lane to the hotel we saw the tops of the roofs were in plastic, and the garden wasn't so well maintained anymore. After a night sleeping I was full of bites on my arms. Checking the matrass, just a simple sheet was covering the matrass, and I so all dirty spots man man man ... and small black things were to be seen on the sheet. I went to the reception, and they were not surprised... but tried to find a solution. Wonderful service of them ! We could change from room to the backside of the hotel. A kingsize bed, great clean and newer bathroom, thicker towels, and clean matrass ! Talking to our neighboor she mentioned that she was traveling with a group of americans and that their guide had arranged the best rooms for them. Check this out before booking !

In all we are pleased with the service of the hotel, and a wonderful relax with a cocktail at the swimming pool. Start bird watching !

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank BennyFA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

The Sarapiqui Rainforest Lodge is quite a nice place to stay. The "native" style habitat is interesting and being next to the Tirimbina Reserve is wonderful (if you can take the "cocoa tour", be sure to do so). The room itself, although not air conditioned, was spacious and very pleasant. Although as a result it was quite hot and humid at night, the beauty of the surroundings, especially in the morning, sitting outside and watching many birds swooping and perching more than made up for that.

• Stayed August 2010
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank TravlelingFlash
Bucks, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2009

Arrived after a very long trip, didnt realise that the road past Poas volcano has been closed for many months since an earthquake, so had to return to Heredia and then take highway 32 and 4, which once we were on them, were pretty quick.

Only two other couples were staying at the hotel. When we arrived the receptionist, female, was less than happy to see us. The 3 available tours are all over priced and a waste of time. The archeological site is a few holes in the ground surrounded by stones in an unkempt garden. The botanical garden has no flowers, which could be the time of year, but the path was treacherous as very slippery. The museum was also closed.

The swimming pool looked toxic and uninviting. We had planned to stay for 3 nights, but checked out after one as we had no water or electricity throughout our stay. The evening buffet was non existent too. We were offered salad for a starter, followed by either meat or fish for main. No menus, significantly overpriced at 15 dollars.

The only positive from the stay was an excellent guided trip in to Tirimbina with a guide called Willy who really new his stuff.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NickC1959
ann arbor
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2009

We stayed here July 16-18, 2009. This is definitely a unique place in terms of the architecture motivated by pre-columbian dwellings. Reminded me a bit of the architecture of my ancestral village in India.

The staff were incredibly friendly. We were a family of four. The room was ok though a bit small for 4. They have us 2 double beds and two single beds. An extra fan would have made it a bit more comfortable. While my wife and I were comfortable, our kids had a tougher time (w/ no AC).

Location wise, it is very conveniently close to the Tirimbina reserve, literally a stone's throw. So most of the activities run by the reserve are easily accessible. We did the chocolate tour (highly recommend it), morning bird watching tour (very good but partly rained out). The architectural tour and museum on the grounds are also interesting. The guides at the reserve are very good.

The restaurant on the premises is nice. We ate a couple of meals here. Just a mile or so away on the main road is a very good Mexican restaurant (La Rojo Rana).

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank afamily4
Columbia, MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2009

We stayed at the hotel (now the Sarapiquis Rainforest Lodge) for two nights as part of a two-week tour of Costa Rica. The location is terrific, very secluded in the middle of tropical rainforest, and right above the Sarapiquis river. The hotel facilities were also very nice -- good restaurant, great swimming pool, etc. Meals also were very good. However, there are some negatives. The structures are starting to show some wear. For example, the thatched roofs on several buildings have substantially shredded, and the black plastic tarp was the only covering. Also, our rooms were very poorly designed and furnished -- poor lighting, no chairs, awkward bathroom setup -- but they were clean and air-conditioned. The bottom line is that the room was not such a negative as to detract from the lodge's excellent location and other facilities.

• Stayed February 2009
2 Thank ColumbiaTrekkers
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2009

The biggest plus for this hotel in my opinion is that it is a 5 min walk down a path to the Tirimbina Rainforest Nature reserve. Tirimbina offers guided tours for about $25 a person, and if you book one you also get unlimited daytime access to the main trials. The rainforest is stunning, and the guides for the 2 tours we took were terrific. If you like chocolate, you must take the Chocolate tour.
As far as the hotel goes, it has lovely grounds including a small infinity pool. The birdwatching is excellent. They put fruit out on a table in front of the restaurant a couple of times a day and you will see some colourful birds there. For more variety, walk the rather neglected herb garden.
We had a deluxe room which has air conditioning. Surprisingly we didn't need to use it much, but could set it on fan for fresh air (there are no windows, just 2 glass doors for light). The rooms were large, reasonably attractive but nothing special.
All meals are buffet, and are not included in the price. The quality is quite good, fresh and hot, but rather monotonous.
Two things we didn't like about the hotel were that they seemed rather disorganized and that about 90% of the guests were with guided tours. The first night we went for dinner, almost all of the tables had cards on them for different tour companies. There was no card with our name. The tables that were left had no flowers on them and were in the back corner. We felt like second class citizens. We did point out the oversight and a placecard was put out for us the next morning. The second day we went to the front desk and booked for dinner in the al a carte restaurant which supposedly they have. At 6 we were sitting in the bar and waiting for the lights to go on in the restaurant. At 7, still no lights so we inquired at the front desk and were told that as we were the only ones who had booked at the restaurant it wasn't worth there while to bring in an extra chef to cook for us. That would have been fine if they had let us know that was a possibility when we booked and told us to check back before dinner to find out the status.
If you like a smaller more personal establishment, I'd recommend checking with Tirimbina as they have a small lodge of their own.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kaycrew
State College, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2009

In August 08' I traveled to Costa Rica by myself. I stayed at SarapiquiS Rainforest Lodge for a little under a week and thoroughly enjoyed myself! I like to stay at places that provide environmentally friendly accommodations and also provide support for the local community. I found SarapiquiS Lodge had everything I was looking for.

I reserved my room via email and also booked most of my meals and activities in advanced so I didn't have to bother booking anything when I arrived. Immediately upon arrival I was taken care of by the amazing staff. I had just made it in time for their buffet style lunch. The food was outstanding and the scenery surrounding the dining area was beautiful! Every morning during breakfast the staff put fruit scraps out to attract some of the local birds. I have never seen so many beautiful and colorful birds in once place! I found out from the really helpful manager, Nydia, that they use local grown foods and actually compost all of the food scraps! Furthermore, I found out that their waste water from their kitchen and guest room bathrooms is treated on-site through a bio-purification system (which includes tanks and wetlands that naturally purify the waste water) before returning the water to the river in better condition than the river itself!

The grounds were beautifully landscaped. My room was one of eight rooms in a large, round rancho structure with a wrap around veranda. Nydia told me (and I loved this) that the ranchos used energy saving bulbs and that the water for the showers and sinks were heated using solar energy! From my room I could hear the Sarapiqui River roaring just a short distance away which was very peaceful. My room was quite spacious, very clean and comfortable. In fact, even with the lodge being in close proximity to the rainforest, there was never a bug problem, which was great! The room was simply and tastefully decorated with local indigenous art hanging on the walls (purchased to support local indigenous artists according to Nydia the manager).

Everyday I had something different and exciting to do! I highly recommend white water rafting and the canopy zip-line tours! The hotel staff booked all of my activities in advanced and set up an amazing itinerary for me! The Lodge was literally 100 feet from the amazing Tirimbina Rainforest Center and after going on their fascinating Chocolate Tour I was allowed to enter the rainforest whenever I pleased. One morning I was walking across the HUGE suspended bridge over the Sarapiqui River to go for a walk in the rainforest and heard howler monkey's in the rainforest!

Overall my experience was unforgettable and I cannot wait to get back to the Lodge someday! As a nature lover I am so happy that there are places out there that are trying to preserve it! I highly recommend any type of traveler to visit SarapiquiS Rainforest Lodge!

• Liked — Very comfortable, clean and Eco-Friendly
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank EcoSarah
#1 of 1 in Boca Tapada
Hacienda Pozo Azul
Hacienda Pozo Azul
#1 of 2 in La Virgen

Been to Sarapiquis Rainforest Lodge? Share your experiences!