This is a quaint place which is ideal for those with a passion for birds in particular but also for monkeys and frogs.
The twin rooms are clean but basic with a rustic charm but totally adequate especially as most visitors are here I'd guess to view the wildlife. Air conditioning, room safe, shower and terrace are standard. A walkway is set up so you don't get wet going to the restaurant.
This was good though the buffet a little bland. Drinks prices are normal for costa rica and there is complimentary coffee and tea on all the time.
The grounds of the hotel incorporate a series of lakes, a river, butterfly enclosure, and a wide variety of costa rican plants and vegetation. Trail walks around the grounds are well laid out and quiet, especially first thing in the morning. A feeding station attracts a wide variety of beautiful birds enabling those close up photos. Our group was fortunate to have a swim when the howler monkeys visited and obtained some stunning close ups.
There is an area of habitat specifically to encourage frogs and a wide variety were seen regularly.
A couple of caiman reside in the lake.
The hotel is close to La Selva biological research station which is well worth a visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Quinta Sarapiquí Lodge is a simple but charming hotel, located 95 kilometers from San José. This perfect destination combines a tremendous biological diversity with comfortable accommodations, easy access and personalized Costa Rican hospitality. It is an ideal base for both casual and avid birders. Our lodge has 5 rooms in bungalows, most of them accesible by wheelchair, complemented by a roofted porch with a hammock and rocking chairs. Our rooms are surrounded by tropical gardens rich in heliconias, gingers, palms and flowering trees, which are home to hundreds of different species of flora and fauna. On site features include a butterfly house, a frog land, lush tropical gardens, two swimming pools, reforestation area, vegetable garde, animal production units and pathways along the riverside. We also offer homemade jams cooked with a 100% renewable energy using products from our gardens. One of the very few Costa Rican hotels certified with 5 leaves in sustainable tourism. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Booking.com so you can book your La Quinta Sarapiqui Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Quinta De Sarapiqui Country Hotel Sarapiqui
- La Quinta Sarapiqui Lodge Costa Rica - La Virgen
- Country Inn Sarapiqui
- Sarapiqui La Quinta
- Sarapiqui Country Inn