“Deep in the heart of the forest” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Hacienda Sueno Azul

Hotel Hacienda Sueno Azul
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Horquetas
Cumming, Georgia
“Deep in the heart of the forest”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

My favorite memory of Sueno Azul is waking up to the Howler Monkeys in the forest surrounding the property. I added many new birds to my list here; that is my second favorite memory and the best part of an overnight stay. The grounds are well-maintained; there is a lovely orchid garden outside the restaurant and leading to the rooms. It feels very deep in the forest, and for that reason, felt a little "buggy." A frog was outside on our patio when we arrived. My room looked out onto a pond; a river runs through the property. The parrots flew overhead and the guan (like turkeys) perched in trees; again, birding is wonderful, and I went for the eco-adventure part. The room itself was fairly rustic, but clean. It is not a property I would go to just to "get away," but definitely fulfilled my objective.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

We chose to stay at sueno azul because we were traveling from arenal to puerto viejo and didn't want to make the whole journey in a day. When we got there, it was abandoned. The only person at the front of the hotel was the receptionist, who looked bored and annoyed. We went to our room, it was dark and and felt very rustic. There was paint chipped off the walls. The grounds felt like the set of an old horror movie. To me, it seemed that the hotel used to be nice, but is now just kind of deserted. The pool was nice, but the workout room looked decrepit. There was a huge movie screen and a pavilion that looked to be used for dancing at one time, but it is now old and dusty. And there was a rodeo in the back. Who wants to go to a rodeo at their hotel? we went there just to check it out and there were 2 horses and no people. The food was average. The chef cooked up a filet of fish on the spot for each person, and it was pretty good, but overall the food was nothing special. At dinner, there were about 15 customers at the whole hotel including my family of four. Unless more people stayed in their room for the duration of our stay, that was the entirety of the tenants. At night, we learned that the hotel does not believe in lights. My daughter, who is 11, was scared by who deserted and dark it was. We were all happy to get out of there after one night.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lincoln572
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

We stayed here for a few weeks. The rooms are simple/rustic but do the job. If you are wanting 5 stars accommodations this is not the place, however, if you want a genuine Costa Rica lodge experience that sits on the edge of a beautiful river and rainforest this is the place to go! I'm not a bird watcher but there were a lot of them staying here so I assumed there were a lot of unique birds in the area. I did see some Toucans. Also, the food is excellent! Friendly staff!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

I was very excited about this hotel based on its website and some of the photos I found on various websites. Unfortunately reality was a different thing!

Let's start with the good...

PROS:

1. The waitress and bartender was SO helpful and SO very attentive that it was great!

2. The rooms are huge as are the showers

3. They offer activities

4. My room had a nice patio that overlooked a pond

CONS:

1. My room was missing half of its furniture... there was one bed and bench NO other furniture and the rest of the HUGE room was empty.

2. The towels provided were musty smelling and so rough.

3. The lighting was inadequate once it got dark

4. The ceiling fan was so old I thought it was going to fall off but it was so muggy I had to use it. It was also dirty so it did not help my asthma ... as it spun dust was coming off it.

5. I would have loved to leave the doors open to the patio.... but I was in one of the last rooms on the property and I did not feel safe leaving the doors open (they had screens) while I slept.

6. Since I was one of the last rooms (and mind you there was NO one at the property while I was there so I'm not sure why I had to hike 5-8 minutes in one direction each way) I had to walk along the walkway in the dark -- they were not well light so thankfully I had a torch (flashlight) with me.

7. Some portions of the ground were just not well maintained -- dirty, overgrown etc

8. The pool was dirty when I went to go in it ... I did complain and in the morning it was cleaner

9. The breakfast buffet food items were so greasy and unappetizing.

10. Did I mention the HUGE hole in the roof over the dining room? It did have a tarp on it but we had several showers while we were visiting.

11. Don't waste your time walking up to the "museum" it is NOT well maintained, dirty, and just not worth the effort. It could be very nice if some thought, time and care was put into it.

Overall, disappointed and would not choose to stay at this location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the reception area so you do not have to HIKE
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Nelle_1234
Billericay, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

We stayed for 2 nights as part of a Costa Rica tour. The room was 'rustic' meaning no glass in the windows, no a/c and no fridge but just to sit outside on the patio in the early morning and evening and watch and hear the birdlife (and cayman) over the lake was really nice. Our room was just as far as you could get from reception - I can't remember the number - and we were offered no help with our luggage or a trolley. Our tour guide had already told us that the food wasn't worth having so we ate out both nights but breakfast on the 1st morning was disappointing with our 'fresh' fruit tasting bad. There was hardly anyone there, perhaps only 3 or 4 other people, but some groups arrived during the day so there was more at breakfast on the 2nd morning and hence breakfast was a bit better. The grounds are nice and the walk to the cascades may be long and hot but its worth it, particularly if you see the butterfly farm as well.
The wifi is a bit hit and miss but is that really important?

Room Tip: A long walk from reception may be worth it to get a lake view although I think there arerooms nearer...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Placitas, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

I was part of a tour group that stayed for only one night. Everyone wanted the stay to be longer. The setting & the grounds were spectacular. The food was wonderful & the staff was great. It was one of the most memorable places that we stayed on the tour. The Howler Monkey's added a great chorus to top off the one night stay. I will recommend this spot to everyone that is going that way. Enjoy fellow travelers!

Room Tip: Room number 43 was great!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Gothenburg, Sweden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

Quite nice rooms. Large area. Friendly but ignorant staff and some are quite lazy. The so called botanical garden is a bad joke. The maps of the area were probably once up to date. As a matter of fact, the whole hotel resort has by far exceeded the best before date.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lasseinga
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horquetas
Selva Verde Lodge
#2 of 9 in Heredia
Heliconia Island Bed & Breakfast
Heliconia Island Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 5 in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui

Been to Hotel Hacienda Sueno Azul? Share your experiences!