“Perfect day by the river” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bodiam Boating Station

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newenden
Bodiam Boating Station
Bath, United Kingdom
“Perfect day by the river”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

We started our holiday at Bodian Boating Station. We arrived and set up our camp in the beautiful and small field (just a few sites round the edge). Great views of the gorgeous countryside and steam trains passing by in the distance. The boating station also has a lovely cafe with good selection of home-made cakes, ice creams and cream teas as well as local beers and wine.

Right next to it the small river where the owners hire out boats, kayaks or offer ferry rides up to Bodian Castle.  This is the highlight - the river is so beautiful and you really get a feel for the countryside meandering gently along.  There are loads of birds and wildlife to spot.  It has to be on everyone's to do list for this part of Kent.

Vanessa and Alex who run Bodian are so welcoming and passionate about their business and did everything they could to make us fall in love with the place.

BodiamBoatingStation, Owner at Bodiam Boating Station, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Thanks for taking the trouble to write a review of what we have to offer, and I'm so pleased that we met with your expectaions. I must say that your kids looked very cool in their BBS t-shirts, and the curtains in your trailor tent ROCK!

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

Our family (two adults and three daughters) visited for two nights in July. The camping is very simple, just a field (with plenty of space for playing that weekend) but the owners also run a lovely coffee and tea shop on site in their garden (with very good fresh coffee), and boat hire and boat trips on the River Rother. They have created a very relaxing and comforting atmosphere on the site, running it with a light but attentive touch, and are planning to do more. There's a good local pub just a few minutes walk away if you need it. But really all you need to do is have some tea and scones, muck about a bit on a boat, then sit around the fire and take it easy.

Maidstone
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

Recently returned from a three night stay at this campsite. 2 adults and four kids aged 6-10. Wonderful hosts in Vanessa, Alex and staff who are all very friendly and welcoming and agreed with a previous review their passion for camping and adventure is really evident. Nothing too much trouble.

Yes the campsite is small but you really do not notice this due to the policy of restricting the number of pitches on the site and there was more than enough space for our children to run and play. Yes the road noise can be heard but this did not detract from the experience in our opinion. No real shaded areas on site but beyond the site this can easily be sought at the local village green and beyond. Fire pits and supplied wood were a huge bonus and made the camping truly special for the kids underneath the canopy of stars.
Showers are basic but adequate and are coin operated. There is one toilet in a converted Shed but again adequate for all our needs. Both clean and cleaned daily.

The real bonus of this site is the rowing boats and ferry on site and the children loved the experience. We booked on to the Wednesday night ferry trip on the Rother River, which was truly special. The cafe tea room was lovely, and although used mainly for ice-creams the food looked wonderful. Rye harbour and beaches are 10 miles away and the beach and nature reserve were even more of a bonus.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a short break on a very wet weekend. That didn't dampen the atmosphere though. Vanessa is a very sweet host which makes a real difference, they clearly care for camping and have a lot of passion for their business. The location is excellent, The White Horse pub down the road is friendly, the food really blew me away and there's a pool table/large garden with kids area I think too.

A short distance away on foot you have the bluebell railway - steam trains. They are fantastic. You can also take a small ferry to one of the most beautiful castles around. Bodium. Or you can do what we did and hire a rowing boat and have a little adventure. It's harder than it looks though.

Not far away is the beautiful town of Rye, cobbled pavements, jewellery shops and record stores. An excellent place to treat yourself to lunch or get fish and chips and head to camber sands.

The site itself is cosy, with all the amenities you need, which are kept very clean. I believe they are constantly enhancing it too. The price is very reasonable and the coffee is excellent. There's a lot to be said for a good cup of coffee.

If you are looking for a short break away, this place comes highly recommended by me. Fingers crossed for good weather!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Herne Bay, Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

I think I would like to start with the points that maybe stopped me from giving a rating of excellent. And basically it would be the toilet! I felt that just one toliet in a shed was a little limited. I thought that it worked well, that it was relatively clean, but given the number of people camping at the time we were there (one big group with numerous children!) then one toilet didn't seem quite enough!! We also missed out on the opportunity to use the baked good delivery system, as we didn't ask until late Saturday for the Sunday (mind you this was more of our fault!) I guess the only other thing was paying £3 for an additional car and thinking that it would be parked on the pitch (saying that I'm glad cars weren't allowed in! I guess we just didn't like paying for it!)

And the things that were beyond our and probably the campsites control was the noise!! The large group with children were pretty nosiy our first night. We were a little concerned at gone midnight when we heard the racing around the field, that they would knock into our possibly hot fire pit, plus the noise was just a little too much! Then the second night we planned to go to the local pub, but it was closed for a function. A function that went on to 2am, and the sound carried right across into the site! I think we started playing 'name that tune' after a while!

In general we loved the site - my friend who is normally not so happy camping, congratulated me on a 'good little find'. The staff were all friendly and welcoming. They even put up a tv in the garden for those wanting to watch the Olympic opening ceremony, which was incredibly thoughtful. Communication beforehand was brilliant. The pitches were even and spacious. The showers, were short for 50p, but warm and sufficient. And it was a lovely location. I am recommending this site to friends and family! And hope to come back again myself!

Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

A friend & I + 4 kids (6-10 yrs old) have just returned from a 3 night stay at BBS. We had a fantastic time and nothing was too much trouble for Vanessa, Alex or their staff. The site is basic at present but it has all that you need. To have a great time you don't need much, all the kids needed was a field to play in and build then watch a camp fire. We took rowing boats out and went on the ferry along the Rother one evening. Fantastic scenery, wildlife and laughter!! Many different attractions locally for all ages. For us Rye Harbor Wildlife Reserve has a fantastic beach where you can walk out 200-300 m but still be not even chest high. Great value and will return

1 Thank simon o
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

When it rains and you still enjoy yourself - that's when you know you have a good campsite. It doesn't have mod-cons and it's not Butlins a-go-go (no mini-golf, playground etc) but it does have a field (do kids really need more?), rowing boats, kayaks and the cutest cafe that does fantastic proper coffee. Bodiam Boating Station is modest, but it has soul. And its owners are seriously sociable and dedicated people. I'm surprised that the people who have moaned turned up, if they were that alarmed by the prices.... In my opinion, it's a small campsite, and if it only attracts those that are satisfied with the happy, simple things in life, then there's a better chance that the atmosphere will always be as good as it was when we went.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newenden
Flackley Ash Hotel and Restaurant
Field Green Oast Bed & Breakfast
Knelle Dower Studio B&B
Knelle Dower Studio B&B
#1 of 2 in Northiam

Been to Bodiam Boating Station? Share your experiences!