“Great place and owner!”
Review of B&B Le Ghiande

B&B Le Ghiande
Ranked #1 of 2 Montepertuso B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I had a great time here in May 2013. The owner was a great and always willing to help us out with recommendations. Breakfast is copious and delicious with a choice of cereal, coffee/tea, cheese, fruit, a bread basket etc. Great view from our room, and even had a lovely little balcony with chairs.

I clicked "excellent" for fitness centre as there are about 100 steps up to the B&B!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MandiA18

Reviewed 19 November 2013

As other reviewers have said, the view is breathtaking. The property is well cared for. There is a beautiful terrace where you are welcomed with drinks when you arrive. Salvatore always addressed us by name. I always find that level of service impressive and personalized. It's just that something extra special that goes so far. He was an impeccable host. Always smiling. We really felt welcomed. The breakfast was delicious. The view from the room was insane! The stairs suck. No way around it. There's 112 to be exact. It's a tough hall, but worth it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BrittaniMV
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Although located perhaps a little too distant from the town center of Positano for some, those who make the journey are rewarded with breathtaking views of the town and coastline far below. From our initial greeting with Salvatore, the proprietor and manager, to our departure only a few days later, our stay at Le Ghiande was absolutely fantastic. Except for a clog in the shower drain, our room with a terrace and AC was excellent, and breakfasts were a delight and considerable. We cannot recommend this place for your stay in Positano enough.

Room Tip: I highly recommend making sure you have a room with a terrace.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We have run out of superlatives - from the moment we arrived to when we left five days later, this place had us using them all.

From the gate on arrival there is a delightful walk along the terrace; to the right are a few seats overlooking the stunning view of Positano and the coastline, on the left a garden full of lemons, tomatoes, herbs, flowers, and if course, vines on the framework overhead.

Salvatore's greeting was special - a warm and beaming smile with a hand outstretched for a firm and welcoming handshake. This very soon was followed up with a tray of cold drinks and home made cakes, with time to chat with Salvatore and relax after a day of travelling.

The room we had was great, surprisingly large, with a small kitchenette, good sized bathroom and an ample balcony - with the stunning view of the coast. The sun was streaming in through the double doors protected by excellent shutters-cum-fly screens.

The bed was comfortable and plenty long enough - it is very unusual for me to be able to say this as I am nigh on two meters tall.

Breakfast comprised so many options I doubt I could list them all. Suffice it to say it includes homemade pastries, some of the best coffee I have tasted, yogurt and fresh fruit. Oh, and meats, cheese, bread, homemade jams... You barely need lunch!

There is wifi included in the room rate too, with ample bandwidth - so no excuses for not letting the family know what a good time you're having :)

You should be aware there there about 100 steps to climb from the road to the entrance. We were cautioned about this on booking so we expected it, also we had the offer of assistance carrying luggage up from the road. I am sure Salvatore would be equally willing to help all guests in this way.

The gate to La Ghiande is on the one of the many paths leading in to the forest and hills. Turning left at the gate takes you to the road, the village and the bus to Positano; right and it's up, up and err... up between a few more houses and terraced gardens in to the forest. Again superlatives abound as you walk amongst the trees, rocks, wild herbs and yes, those stunning views.

I have mentioned the stunning views many times in this review - but La Ghinade is so much more than a view! It is comfortable, spacious, and relaxing; the hospitality is great; the breakfast is delicious.

Just in case you had any doubts, I would recommend this B&B!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2013

If you have ever fantasized about a romantic B&B on the Amalfi coast, Le Ghiande is the B&B you have been dreaming about. It is absolutely delightful.

You buzz in the gate and walk down a long walkway awe-struck by the views to your right while alternately admiring the garden on your left full of tomatoes, peppers, onions, flowers and much more. Salvador really does greet you with cold beverages and a snack when you first arrive.

The staff is very helpful with accommodations and with local activities.

The rooms are clean, modern and nicely furnished. There is a mini-bar refrigerator in the room with reasonable prices (really). Our bathroom was large and enjoyable with all the amenities. We stayed in several B&Bs during our Italy trip and this was by far the best breakfast provided. It included pastries, bread, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals, juices, coffee and more that I am not remembering.

The only drawback may be its location. It is also a positive in many ways being away from crowd. It is located up the hill from Positano in Montepertuso. There is a walk of 1200 stairs down to the beach and town, and you can always take the bus back up.

If you have a car the location is not a problem. We arrived by SITA bus, then we needed to take the local bus up the hill to the B&B. We arrived in mid-afternoon and did not have an issue. On the very crowded evening bus I saw on two occasions the bus driver refuse boarding to travelers with luggage. The bus runs about every hour during the day, but it is not so frequent during the evening. The evening bus is really crowded, but all the locals seem to be used to it and enjoying it. I found it fun myself and just part of the adventure of independent travel. Local taxis are also available, but they are not cheap.

Just a caution if you have issues with stairs. From the road up the B&B you have to climb perhaps 80 or 90 stairs. I’m sure if you called they would come down and carry your luggage for you.

This is an absolutely wonderful B&B. Hopefully, we will get back to the area and we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank David R
Reviewed 14 October 2013

It´s fantastic place for vacances! Beautiful, clean, with marvellouse views from the room´s terrace, delicious breakfasts in the open terrace in the garden. The kindness and hospitality of the hosts - Salvatore and his father Carlo made our Positano´s experience even more pleasant and rich. We enjoyed Montepertuso very much. From "Le Ghiande" it was easy to visit another beautiful places of the Amalfi Cost (were very useful the explanations and advices of our hosts). Certainly we would repeat the experience in the future! Thank you, "Le Ghiande"!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TatiAlicanteAlicante
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I feel ashamed for ever giving another place 5 stars, because they don't even come close to how wonderful Le Ghiande is. A beautiful view, a large , clean room, and the most kindest hosts I have ever stayed with. The B and B is not in Positano(thank goodness), so if you are looking purely for convenience this probably wouldn't fit your ideal. There are some wonderful restaurants right near by-I recommend il Ritrovo- it was very good. But la tagliata is only5 minute walk as well. Nocelle is a 25 minute walk where you can also begin the Path of the Gods. One morning we walked down the 1200 stairs to Positano, also right down the street from B and B. To get to Le Ghiande from Positano you have to take the bus which runs at least every hour. There are also 100 steps to the B and B. this was not a problem for us, but I knew they were there and staff met us at the bottom of the stairs to assit in carrying our luggage up.
Breakfast was great-enough to fill up on and freshly baked croissants and cakes. The only negative thing about this place was that I had to leave. I would stay here every time I returned to Italy. Simply amazing!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montepertuso
Pensione Maria Luisa - Amalfi Coast
#2 of 53 in Positano
Venus Inn B&B Positano
Venus Inn B&B Positano
#20 of 53 in Positano

Been to B&B Le Ghiande? Share your experiences!