We visited Thudufushi for the first week of a two week holiday in Dec 12. The second week is in the sister resort of Atharuga only 20 minutes away by speedboat and we've arrived there just today.
Thudufushi is in South Ari atoll about 35 mins by seaplane from Male. Their time is one hour ahead of Male so at this time of year it is 6 hours ahead of the UK.
The island is of modest size. There are 47 beach bungalows, all very nicely situated, and a similar number of water villas which look very spacious though they're not for us - we prefer to be on solid ground and close to all the facilities.
There's not much interior to Thudufushi - you can walk around it in 10 minutes and across it in 3, but it's tidy and there is some pleasant vegetation.
We choose our Maldivian islands by their reefs and this one was excellent. The dropoff is close inshore for most of the island's circumference and there are some very nice inshore coral areas that would be ideal for snorkelling beginners. As Thudufushi is on the western flank if South Ari atoll it has lots of interesting reef residents and our "spots" during the week included several Napoleon wrasse, plenty of white tip and black tip reef sharks, many eagle rays, hawksbill turtles and more. Dolphins pass close by the eastern beach sometimes several times a day.
There is an excellent team of mainly Italian staff who look after all the diving, watersports, and entertainment. The team includes a couple of marine biologists so qialufied advice is always available if you film or photo something interesting. They even had a humpback whale passing offshore in the summer.
The rooms are fine, comfortable, air conditioned and spacious with lots of drawers and cupboards. We were pleased to see no TV, though they do provide you with an iPod sound dock!
This was the first time we had booked an all-inclusive resort. We were pleasantly surprised to find the range of drinks offered over the bar included all we wanted including San Mig and other beers on draught and a good range of wines and spirits. As for food, I usually reflect in these reviews that the buffet experience in the Maldives means you enjoy a great variety of food which is often disappointingly mediocre. This one was really no different, but with exceptions. The fresh fish carpaccio should delight sushi-fans, and the open air charcoal grille was also great for fresh fish steaks. I guess if there's a message it's that fish caught locally is likely to be a much better menu choice here than a piece of red meat that has made its way to the Maldives from New Zealand or Argentina.
the AI package also included laundry, wifi at reception, your room mini bar, escorted snorkelling twice a day (including sunset snorkelling), and one excursion from the day-by-day programme. I thought that was most generous, bottom line was that on departure we only found ourselves paying for spa treatments, shop purchases, and speedboat hire. To wit.....
...On transferring between the two islands we decided to cough up for half a day in the resort speedboat so we could enjoy our own private excursion via the manta ray point and three other unpopulated island reefs before going on to Athuruga. This worked very well and amongst other things our daughter got to swim with a bunch of dolphins who happened by. And yes we did get to see mantas if only about 10 metres below us at the cleaning station.
In all a very good week and whilst it might not be quite perfect it's a great place to holiday and we would have no hesitation recommending it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kick off your shoes and unwind at Diamonds Thudufushi, a little piece of paradise on its own private island in the Maldives. Set on a white sand island within the turquoise waters of a shallow lagoon, Diamonds Thudufushi offers luxurious accommodation and outstanding levels of service. Located on the south-western rim of Ari Atoll, just a 35-minute seaplane flight south of Male' International Airport, the resort is secluded and tranquil, providing optimum privacy in unspoilt surroundings. The natural beauty of the island has been retained and enhanced. Beach Bungalows have individual verandas and private beachfronts along the coral-sand shore. Experience the diversity of the Maldives by pairing your visit with a stay at Diamonds Thudufushi, offering intimate village charm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Southall Travel, Ctrip TA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Diamonds Thudufushi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Diamonds Thudufushi Beach And Water Villas
- Diamonds Thudufushi Beach & Water Villas Hotel Thudufushi Island
- Thudufushi Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Diamonds Thudufushi Thudufushi Island, Maldives