“Another Splendid Maldives Experience”

Diamonds Thudufushi
Reviewed 21 December 2012

We visited Thudufushi for the first week of a two week holiday in Dec 12. The second week is in the sister resort of Atharuga only 20 minutes away by speedboat and we've arrived there just today.

Thudufushi is in South Ari atoll about 35 mins by seaplane from Male. Their time is one hour ahead of Male so at this time of year it is 6 hours ahead of the UK.

The island is of modest size. There are 47 beach bungalows, all very nicely situated, and a similar number of water villas which look very spacious though they're not for us - we prefer to be on solid ground and close to all the facilities.

There's not much interior to Thudufushi - you can walk around it in 10 minutes and across it in 3, but it's tidy and there is some pleasant vegetation.

We choose our Maldivian islands by their reefs and this one was excellent. The dropoff is close inshore for most of the island's circumference and there are some very nice inshore coral areas that would be ideal for snorkelling beginners. As Thudufushi is on the western flank if South Ari atoll it has lots of interesting reef residents and our "spots" during the week included several Napoleon wrasse, plenty of white tip and black tip reef sharks, many eagle rays, hawksbill turtles and more. Dolphins pass close by the eastern beach sometimes several times a day.

There is an excellent team of mainly Italian staff who look after all the diving, watersports, and entertainment. The team includes a couple of marine biologists so qialufied advice is always available if you film or photo something interesting. They even had a humpback whale passing offshore in the summer.

The rooms are fine, comfortable, air conditioned and spacious with lots of drawers and cupboards. We were pleased to see no TV, though they do provide you with an iPod sound dock!

This was the first time we had booked an all-inclusive resort. We were pleasantly surprised to find the range of drinks offered over the bar included all we wanted including San Mig and other beers on draught and a good range of wines and spirits. As for food, I usually reflect in these reviews that the buffet experience in the Maldives means you enjoy a great variety of food which is often disappointingly mediocre. This one was really no different, but with exceptions. The fresh fish carpaccio should delight sushi-fans, and the open air charcoal grille was also great for fresh fish steaks. I guess if there's a message it's that fish caught locally is likely to be a much better menu choice here than a piece of red meat that has made its way to the Maldives from New Zealand or Argentina.

the AI package also included laundry, wifi at reception, your room mini bar, escorted snorkelling twice a day (including sunset snorkelling), and one excursion from the day-by-day programme. I thought that was most generous, bottom line was that on departure we only found ourselves paying for spa treatments, shop purchases, and speedboat hire. To wit.....

...On transferring between the two islands we decided to cough up for half a day in the resort speedboat so we could enjoy our own private excursion via the manta ray point and three other unpopulated island reefs before going on to Athuruga. This worked very well and amongst other things our daughter got to swim with a bunch of dolphins who happened by. And yes we did get to see mantas if only about 10 metres below us at the cleaning station.

In all a very good week and whilst it might not be quite perfect it's a great place to holiday and we would have no hesitation recommending it.

Room Tip: Rooms 44-47 might be disturbed by the Saturday night disco, otherwise they all looked fine to us
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank FolkestoneClaret

Reviewed 19 December 2012

This was our fourth visit to the Maldives so we knew what to expect. The manager was very visible throughout our whole visit and engaged us and other visitors in conversation - very nice guy. All the staff on the island are very helpful and friendly and the bar staff very attentive. Our room was fairly simple but beautifully clean with a huge bed and outdoor bathroom - very typical of other Maldevian Islands we have visited. We had a huge expanse of beach outside our BV (no 38) and we were very happy with the location. The reef was a little disappointing with less fish than some of the other islands we have visited but none the less very enjoyable. We saw eagle rays, titan trigger fish and parrot fish every day. My husband is a scuba diver and he was lucky enough to be on a dive where a young whale shark was very visible and stayed with the divers for about 3 minutes - it was about 4 metres long. An unforgettable experience.

The food was by far and away the best we have experienced in the Maldives and we enjoyed the varius cooking stations, particularly the fresh fish and fresh pasta. The chef came out into the retaurant every day and chatted to us - very nice touch.

The island has a large number of Italian visitors and the animation team are all Italian but the team spoke great English, were great fun and chatted to visitors every day and night as well as leading snorkelling trips around the island and organised various evening entertainment.

All in all we had a wonderful holiday but I think after visiting the Maldives for four consecutive years it is time tro try another experience in another part of the world.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pokey78
Reviewed 9 December 2012

First, I will describe us, then I will describe our experience. I am going to try to be as fair as possible. Skip to the end if you want a briefing, yet if you have time, read the complete review.

Our background. We are a couple that travels frequently in a middle class level. We visited Thudufushi the last week of November for 7 days and it was our honeymoon thus we spent more than we normally do on this vacation. It was our first time in the Maldives. Our expectations of this trip were basically to disconnect from the world and to have our piece of heaven for a week. Friends of us recommended the hotel, so we did not check many alternatives.

We took the Maldives Air Taxi towards Thudufushi, making a stop on the W Resort first, to drop some guests for that hotel (which seems to be a preferred destination for Asian) and then went to the Diamonds Thudufushi. There, the plane lands apart from the resort, which I find good because it is safer than having those planes flying to close to the villas or bungalows. On arrival, a Dhoni (the boats they have there) and take you to the island where you get the typical welcome drink. There you finish a couple of administrative things and they take you to your apartment. In our case, we had a water villa, so they have those golf carts so you don't have to walk all the way there. We had the water villa 7 which faces south south west.

The water villas
The water villas are an amazing place to stay. Everything is white except for the floor which is wood and the lamps. It is very nicely decorated. You get your Air Conditioned space with your bed, a sofa, lamps and 2 desks. The bathroom is very comfortable and practical. The WC is separated from the showers. Then you have 2 sinks so you can use it in parallel and then 2 showers (a cascade flow of water, a top shower and the one you can hold). The showers have a door into the terrace.

Then there is the terrace which consists of 2 parts. The living room / dining room with a very comfortable outdoor sofa and table as well a dining room with 4 chairs. The next part is the sun bathing are where you have 2 double sun bathing chairs, so up to 4 persons again. After that, its you and the ocean.

The power outlets are quite international. I guess you can plug your devices there no matter where you come from (as long as it supports 230 VAC). So you don't need any adapter if you go there from Europe, Australia, Africa and Asia. America might due to the 110 VAC.

The minibar gets filled everyday. It has only beverages (no snacks), white, rose, red wines, 2 beers, fanta, cola, tonic, big bottle of water. They could include more small bottles of water but it is ok. Juices were nice as well.

The beach towels get changed once per day and the room service comes 2x per day, which is quite nice. =)

Introduction
We then got the introduction to the hotel amenities by the guest relationship staff. They explain you where the TV room, boutiques, Nursery, restaurants, schedules, etc. There I think they spent way to much time on the costly activities (diving, excursions, boutique) and they forgot a very important piece of knowledge: to tell you that if you are in the water villas and wanted to eat in the beach restaurant, you had to make a reservation. So we had a bitter moment when we wanted to try the buffet restaurant. A tip for the hotel staff: It is better to use the phrase "It is included" rather than "It is free" when referring to the things that you get and don't have to pay for. When you say "It is free" it makes me feel that you are doing me a favor (which you are not) and if you rather say "It is included" it makes me feel that I am getting value for what I paid or, which is a good thing.

The water villa restaurant.
Then we had our dinner at the water villas restaurant. The restaurant is great, you have a different menu every day consisting of 4 alternatives for each of the 4 courses. The preparations are the ones of a luxus hotel and the food was simply delicious. Being an italian hotel, there is always something italian like risotto, pasta , etc. But you get fish, beef, duck, and local cuisine. You get the same table every night and are attended by the same waiter.

The buffet restaurant
We tried the buffet twice, once we went there without reservation (as nobody told us that we had to make a reservation for that one) and the waiters told us that we should make a reservation, I made my theater and we finally ate there. Since that occasion, we did not return there. Not because the food was not good, it is just that the food in the water villas is way much better and it seems that the food in the buffet does not change much. Finally, I don't like buffets, I prefer restaurants.

The breakfast at the water villa
When being at the water villas, you have the choice to take your breakfast on your terrace or on the restaurant. We had it once in the restaurant and then always at our terrace. It is just amazing to wake up and have your breakfast ready just 2 steps away. The breakfast is quite standard, prepared eggs, ham, cheese, coffee, yogurt,pan cakes, french toast, juices. We just loved having breakfast at the villa every day.

The ocean access
From the water villa, you have direct access to the ocean via a ladder. (I jumped directly, however you do have to check first. In our water villa 7, you can jump at a definite position, however in other ones, the corals are just there and if you jump, you can get hurt, so check first). Then you have corals directly and all kinds of beautiful fishes. You get snorkeling equipment included from day one. So we spent a lot of time just snorkeling around our villa (and all the way to the end of the reef).

Our excursions
We took 4 excursions. Two to snorkel in other reefs, to see fishes that we could not see around our water villa (like the clown fish, turtles and we even saw dolphins) a sunset fishing and the included one to fisherman island. We found the excursions good and not expensive, you get for what you pay for. The fisherman island is good to buy souvenirs (aside from a shop in the hotel),, there is nothing special about it, but they take you to a lagoon later (part of the ocean where the water is 1.5 meter deep). If you go to fisherman island, take bug repellent with you.

Hotel shops
There is a tailor that makes custom made clothes, and the prices were not expensive. We did not do it, but I think it is a cool thing. Then there is a small souvenir shop which has many things and the prices are OK. Finally there is a boutique with quite expensive things. As we are not into buying Armani shirts in our vacations, it was not something for us. However, it would be good if the boutique had also more affordable items, I think it would be more successful.

Nursery
My wife got sick and we went to the nursery. The doctor was very friendly yet he seemed only to be able to speak italian. But if you can't speak any latin language, I am sure some of the staff can help translating. And the medicines are included.

The Spa
We did not use the Spa, yet some guests on the water villa 6 ordered massages to their room and we were very jealous. =)

The animation personnel
The animation personnel are basically young Italians which speak other languages. You end up knowing all of them. They are very open minded and friendly. The night activities are simple, yet quite good (movie quiz, marine biology presentation, nintendo wii, karaoke). We found them quite good, simple but entertaining. Else they accompany the guests to the excursions and do the daily activities.

The service personnel
Here we have a point where the hotel faces its greatest challenge. As I mentioned in previous reviews, one of the risks that hotels take when they hire local people as waiters, bar tenders, room boys is that their culture might not allow them to really understand what we the guests are looking for.

One thing that really bothered me, is the fact that they perform the minimum acceptable. Our waiter was OK, did not have a great personality, but it is OK, he is that way and we respect that people have different personalities. However, somehow they offer you a drink when you sit in your table, then you get at most one refill (or they ask once if you want something else) and that is it. They will never ask again if you need something else, and you do really have to act actively (call him) and ask for it. Many times I would have enjoyed an espresso or a digestive after dinner, yet once we got our desert, the waiter never approached again. Of course, you can call him and ask for it, but even that was difficult.

The same thing happened at the bar at the island. The waiters were quite friendly and everything, but having a 3rd cocktail... not unless you stand up and go to the bar and ask for it. As this pattern repeated on the 2 bars and the 2 restaurants, I can just guess that that is the way they are trained. Which is not OK.

Poker management
Someone on the management of this hotel chain think that he is managing an airline instead of a hotel. They play poker with the reservations (especially the water villas) by overbooking them. Which means that you might not get a water villa even if that is what you booked. Fortunately, that was not the case for us, but other guests did have to go to the beach bungalows instead (which seem to be nice, but it is a lower class). When I found that out, I thought. If that had happened to me, that would have ruined my honey moon.

One day, they even offered us to change to the Moofushi hotel with a free lobster dinner and free speed boat excursion and a senior water bungalow, which after analyzing it was quite a good deal. Once again, they overbooked and needed the villa and it seems that they constantly do it. We did not take the opportunity because that means having to pack, being transported and learning how another hotel works... which for the 7 days that we were there, was just not worth it, and I can live without the lobster. But that again, makes me loose respect for the hotel management which gambles in such a way. So if you get to the hotel and they say that they do not have a water villa for you, at least tell them that they should send you to Moofushi and offer you extras like excursions or spa treatments or romantic dinners. Do not allow them to give you the beach bungalow, you should get more.

The last day
On the last day, you have to check out at 12:00 PM, and Air Taxi was not arriving before 18:00. You cannot decide when to take the Air Taxi ,they decide that for you and you do not have a voice. In that case, I think that it is unfair that we, for example, could eat at the water villas restaurant and have to go to the buffet. Especially since we arrived late the first day and did not have lunch there.

Then, there are two rooms that you can use to change or take a bath or sleep if you want, but you get them only if they are available, and once again, you have to dig for that information. Nobody approaches you and tells you what you can do while you wait. If we didn't ask, we would have not had lunch that day. So basically, it is like Cinderella, at 12:00 noon, you feel like a stranger there. I mean, you still have a limited access to the services (the bar for example), but in the end, it is very uncomfortable to be there just waiting feeling like a bug.

So that was it. I am done with the review, I hope it helps.

In summary
The water villas are excellent, the hotel is quite nice and the service needs some hospitality lessons (even though I guess their behavior comes from above). I would not return, but just because I would rather visit other Islands.

Room Tip: Any water villa is great, but the ones facing south are more private that the ones facing the Island...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
16  Thank JCGarza
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We decided to spend 10 fantastic days for our silver wedding annivesary on Thudufushi during September. We chose the maldives as it always looked so amazing in the brochures and we had never been before........we were NOT dissapointed!!! This island is simply the most beautiful place we have ever been! We could not find anything to complain about at all, everything and every one of the staff on Thudufushi were lovely and went out of their way to make you feel welcome. We stayed in detatched beach bungalow (number 14) and would always say that for us we much prefered this rather than the water villas. What more can you ask for than to open your patio doors and walk straight out on to the soft white sand, take ten more steps and be in the warm turquoise water of the indian ocean??? The food was great, always a nice choice and a different theme every night of the week. We learnt how to snorkel and saw turtles, reef sharks, rays and an array of the most beautiful colour fish. We'd heard before we left that September was still in their rainy season and so were a little worried it was going to rain every day.....we couldn't have been more wrong.....although we did have one full day of rain and one afternoon where it turned dull, the rest of the time was sunny, hot, and perfect :-) The open air shower in the bungalow was fantastic,( if not a bit weird at first) you soon get used to it!! The bungalow was clean, cool and the inclusive mini bar very welcome! We would absolutely recommend this island to anyone as the most perfect place to be,,,,,,our only problem now is working out a way to return.....and soon!

5  Thank Annette D
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed on this island for only 2 nights. We had transferred over from Vilamendhoo as that island was overbooked for 2 nights & we volunteered to move for a short while. We were taken there by speedboat- a lovely 40 minute trip. The resort definitely has the wow factor as you approach it by sea, as the water bungalows are all painted a brilliant white & can be spotted a distance away.
We were welcomed by several members of staff & then sat down to fill in the registration forms. We were given a sparkling drink, with a fruit kebab & a cold towel. First impressions very good. We were then taken to our beach bungalow (no 7- a semi attached) which was only a few yards from reception. The room was bright with a large bed, loads of wardrobe space & an outdoor bathroom. There were patio doors leading onto a wooden verandah with cushioned chairs & a coffee table. We were able to step off this verandah straight onto the beautiful white sand beach which surrounds the whole island. Each bungalow also has 2 plastic loungers with comfy cushioned pad to lie on. Toiletries were provided, shampoo, shower gel, body lotion & talcum powder but no conditioner so you would need to take your own.
After quickly unpacking, we headed back to reception to be taken on an orientation tour- which didn't take long as the island is very small. What was included in the AI package was explained to us, so to make the most of our short stay, we had some clothing cleaned, as this was chargeable on Vilamendhoo.
Our main reason for going to the Maldives is to snorkel so as soon as lunch had settled we were straight onto the reef. It is quite healthy but there are some strong currents so beware. There are 2 white buoys which it is recommended to swim between. The current flows in 2 directions from the larger buoy & is strongest from the buoy on towards the water bungalows, making it difficult to get back to shore at the bungalows.
We were a little disappointed with the food offered in the main restaurant. The meat & fish were high quality but the risotto was undercooked & the choice of salads & vegetables limited. Also, the staff were slow to replenish dishes that had run out. On the second night I had chow mein which was extremely salty. The breakfast pastries were overcooked & very samey. All in all not what we were expecting from a 5* resort.
The entertainment staff tried to drum up interest for the nightly entertainment but they didn’t succeed. Most people seemed to eat then go back to their rooms making the place feel like a ghost town after 9.30 pm.
The staff were all very friendly & helpful, especially the barstaff & waiters.
We did really enjoy our 2 days and it was lovely to experience a resort that would normally be out of our price range but we don’t believe we would like to spend a complete holiday here. I think this resort would be perfect for honeymooners or couples celebrating a milestone.

1  Thank SKIonhols
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Just back home a few weeks ago from my third trip to Thudufushi in the last 4 years. I have already reviewed the island for my visit last year but felt it merits another review.

In summary nothing much has changed, which is a good thing. The island is a perfect as ever with excellent staff who will bend over backwards for you. Very minor improvements have been carried out in the bathrooms with regards to toiletries. The addition of beer in the mini bar is a welcome addition to the all inclusive package. Our room boy figured I liked a can or two so stocked up extra the next night ;-) There is also now a small gym been added and one of the shops has been made smaller to accommodate a pool table. Free wi-fi is also available now in the bar area too in addition to the main reception, though you get a much better signal in reception if you want to take your mobile phone, i-pad etc.

Having visited previously in a September and once in a May, I'd have to say September was more favourable. There was less rain this time and I found we were bugged all the time by flies during the May visit. There were a lot more mosquitos this time round so it's good to carry a small spray around. Plenty of fish as usual in the house reef, though this year there was an absence of the light coloured reef sharks. I did see a turtle swimming around the pier which is a rare sight. Wildlife wise there were as many Ghost Crabs on the beach as ever, they are good fun to chase around the beach and they mainly come out during the evening. There was a lot more Fruit Bats (Flying Foxes) and Asian Koels present on the island, along with different species of gorgeous lizards. I think it was mating seasons for the Koels as the males did not shut up from 4am right up until around 7pm!

I completed my advanced diving course during this visit and would like to thank Stefano, Robert and Luca in the iDive centre who were very helpful and a bunch of great guys who love their diving. We were lucky to come back on the boat from a dive to see Dolphins swimming with the boat which was a great experience. If your competent at swimming then I would recommend doing the basic Open Water Course which is around 450 Euro's. You will then have this for life and will be able to dive to 18m. The Advanced Open Water is around the same price and allows you to dive to 30m. As part of this I completed a night dive which was a lot of fun, and allowed us to see a different side to underneath the ocean. If your not into your diving there is plenty of other watersport activities, fishing, island excursions to keep you occupied.

I'm hoping to go back again in a few years but will have to start saving. Although the water villa's are pretty to look at, I don't see the appeal of not being on the beach, as having the double doors on the beach bungalows open up onto the beach with the ocean not far from your door is part of the appeal. If space is available you can "upgrade" but every time I come back here it will be in the bungalows. Over the years we have spoke to many people who have stayed 10+ times in the Maldives and said no other island compares to Thudufushi. I'd be too scared to try any other island as I love the simplicity here and the all inclusive package. As per my previous review, I can't recommend it highly enough, and you have to be insane to give it anything less than 5 stars.

Room Tip: Beach Bungalow every time. Check an aerial plan as some have more beach areas than others, some also...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mouse1903
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We stayed in Beach Bungalow 38 for our honeymoon and we absolutely loved it. The island is the definition of "paradise" - no sandbags on the beach and beautiful clear waters, palm trees and soft sand. There is an excellent house reef for snorkeling - we saw turtles, sharks (small cute ones not scary ones) rays and tons of tropical fish. The food was great, including a wonderful Maldivian themed evening under the stars every Friday night.

This is definitely the place to go if you want to relax and have a desert island experience - stay away if you want to watch TV in your room (because you can't), go clubbing at night (there isn't one) or sit by a pool (again, no pool but why would you want one when you can walk from your veranda to your own stretch of warm, turquoise waters in less than a minute??). Staff were all incredibly friendly and professional too. Overall WE LOVED IT!!

Room Tip: Would definitely recommend beach bungalows 36-38 for positioning - they are about halfway round the...
1  Thank Karen F
#1 of 1 in Athuruga Island
LUX* South Ari Atoll
LUX* South Ari Atoll
#1 of 1 in Dhidhoofinolhu Island

Been to Diamonds Thudufushi? Share your experiences!