This was our 4th trip to the Maldives but our 1st to Thudufushi. We stayed in a lovely
beach bungalow which was identical to that on Athuruga, and in our requested location no.44.
Our first 5 days consisted of torrential, non stop rain. Can’t do anything about the weather and the consequential cancellation of watersports and trips but hey - wouldn't you have
thought that the animation team could have arranged something in the bar or
restaurant area to quell our boredom?
Our last week was sunny, so as we missed a weeks worth of snorkel trips, we
thought we would book some up . We were really looking forward to what we had
chosen - we booked 1 afternoon manta trip and 3 consecutive morning trips.
There were no Manta's spotted on this trip but hey ho that is how it goes
sometimes! We had an early breakfast ready for our morning trip and on our way
to wait in reception, are told that it has been cancelled - this happened each
morning for the 3 trips we had booked. If they know that there aren’t enough
people by the previous evening (which was the last time you could put your name
down) why couldn’t they let you know the evening before? The watersports team
were not promoting the trips enough - this was the problem.
We met a lovely couple on their honeymoon, and as we were getting stir crazy by
this point, we booked a 4 hour game fishing trip with them thinking that who we booked it with - the watersports team manager who loved fishing - was coming with us - at last a great trip was on the horizon! We met the other couple at reception and waited for our trip to start - but the
watersports team manager was not coming with us - instead we had a girl from the watersports/animation team who was barely 18. She did not move from her seated position on the boat, nor talk to us for the duration of our trip! There were drinks and
sandwiches on the boat which she didn’t even hand out - it was the Maldivian boat
lads who were brilliant. My partner caught a wahoo which the four of us had cooked for our
dinner that night.
Now onto the dive centre...
There was one guy I really did not warm to and that experience started on the
jetty on our first afternoon - 'oohh shark, shark, I am scared' he shouted as he
went by us - idiot - we know that the baby sharks hang around jetties as they do
on other Maldivian islands. Then he upset a lady diver on her dive and made her cry - she
had lost her confidence because of him and didn’t want to dive again - she did
though, one of the other 'nice' dive guys took her out into the lagoon. My
initial aim was to do 4 or 5 dives during my 2 week trip but ended up doing none
- I wasn’t going to pay around $150 per dive for the pleasure of his company. One
day at the buffet restaurant whilst standing at one of the self-service counters
I heard him swearing to one of his colleagues about the repetition of food.
Hopefully he is not at Thudufushi anymore and I hope I don’t come across him on
The food was ok - but the pizza, ice cream and the fish BBQ man were especially
good. It would have been nice to have some different curries though - it was the
same selection every night for 2 weeks.
We were talking to the assistant manager of the resort one morning and asked her
about the recycling policy - she didn't know. We also asked her to show us on
the map where a certain island was - she didn’t know that either. That was the
end of that short conversation! They ought to be a little more clued up me
thinks - and she was Maldivian!
Great house reef but you need to watch the current. As the reef is to the outer edge of the Atol, you can get a strong current (you just need to go with the flow of the current) but you also get some big fish! Napoleon wrasse, large grouper, turtles and we were lucky enough to encounter a group of 11 eagle rays!
Dolphins were a fairly regular site coming past the island.
There were loads of dragonflies and it was amazing to watch the fruit bats having territorial disputes!
We met Hussein who was our waiter on Athuruga - he served us a couple of times – it was nice to see him again.
There is a good selection of wines to choose from - not just a house red or white and also a good selection of cocktails.
The guys at the bar and the waiters and back of house staff were all really nice and polite and would always chat with you.
We enjoyed a few games of boules on the shaded sand pathways of the interior of the island.
On our last night we had a real show – zillions of stars in the sky and green bio-luminescent plankton in the gentle lapping waves on the shoreline.
In all it was a stunning island and house reef, but it is a shame that the front of house staff that were European had a different attitude – they seemed to be there for themselves and not the guests.
We prefered Athuruga - amazing island and staff - see my review for October 2010.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kick off your shoes and unwind at Diamonds Thudufushi, a little piece of paradise on its own private island in the Maldives. Set on a white sand island within the turquoise waters of a shallow lagoon, Diamonds Thudufushi offers luxurious accommodation and outstanding levels of service. Located on the south-western rim of Ari Atoll, just a 35-minute seaplane flight south of Male' International Airport, the resort is secluded and tranquil, providing optimum privacy in unspoilt surroundings. The natural beauty of the island has been retained and enhanced. Beach Bungalows have individual verandas and private beachfronts along the coral-sand shore. Experience the diversity of the Maldives by pairing your visit with a stay at Diamonds Thudufushi, offering intimate village charm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Southall Travel and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Diamonds Thudufushi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Diamonds Thudufushi Beach And Water Villas
- Diamonds Thudufushi Beach & Water Villas Hotel Thudufushi Island
- Thudufushi Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Diamonds Thudufushi Thudufushi Island, Maldives