“Awesome Thudufishi”

Diamonds Thudufushi
Sydney, Australia
“Awesome Thudufishi”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My partner and I have just spent 4 amazing nights at this wonderful resort.

The trip started with a sea plane ride from Male to the resort. We saw so breathtaking scenery on the way to our resort.

As soon as we landed, a boat arrived to take us to the resort, met be friendly staff on board.

Once on the island, we were driven by a cart directly to our villa and provided check in within the villa.

We stayed in a water villa with a private spa. It was so amazing to have a spa on a balcony over the ocean whilst drinking wine!

We dined in both the island restaurant (buffet style) as well as the over water restaurant which was a la carte style.

You could not want for anything, so much food on offer, extremely friendly staff and as you would imagine, breathtaking views.We both commented that we underestimated how nice the resort would be!

Thw water villas are expensive, but worth it considering how spoilt we were with food, wine, and of course the scenery.

Simply beautiful!

Room Tip: As for water vikla room 20 or 21, these have the pricate spa on the balcony
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I cannot believe after just returning from a magnificent week at your Diamonds Water Villas, Thdufushi that I am even mentioning a negative.

My concern is about attention to detail, at such a well run establishment, I guess its the small things that can spoil your stay, as was our experience. We made our booking directly with the resort in March 2014 for our stay in June. At the time of booking we made only two simple requests:

1, As it was my 60th Birtday during our stay and we were also celebrating our recent 30th wedding anniversary, we requested a water villa on the Sunset side of the lagoon after reading reviews on here.

2, Our departure from Malé was not until nearly midnight and so the latest possible departure time was requested, understanding that the sea planes will not fly during the hours of darkness.

We confirmed these requests on two further occasions prior to travel, on both occasions we received the standard 'noted, subject to availability' reply

On arrival, we checked in with another couple, they were taken to the sunset side where we were taken to the shady side, we complained immediately to the person who was showing us the villa, she assured us not to worry that our villa, number 8 was in the perfect location, to see sunrise and sunset. This proved not to be the case, On later speaking casually to the couple that had been taken to our requested location, we asked if they had made a special request regarding location, they told us that they had not. Considering the resort was less than 50% occupied when we visited! we were disappointed to say the least that they couldn't plan to accommodate our simple request.

On departure day we were more than upset that our check out time was set at 15.00 with the sea plane departure at 15.30, on the basis that Marlé one hour behind the resort, we now faced a nine hour wait at the airport, we always expected a lengthy airport wait on our return on our return journey but after regularly witnessing sea planes departing during our stay as late as 18;30 didn't help and once again complaining to reception staff got us nowhere, every lame excuse from the seaplane company decide when guests leave the island to the ridiculous and quite frankly insulting comment that it was due to expected bad weather! Consequently we left and suffered the nine hour wait at the airport, there are of course a whole number of things the staff could have done to help lighten this load, but no attempt was made.

The unfortunate outcome of the above is that we felt after being looked after generally so well during our stay, we were left feeling that the reception staff didn't care about the small details that would turn our stay from magnificent to simply magical.

As said many times, the water villas are really nice and we found the food and service in the over water restaurant so good, we never even ventured to the main restaurant.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I spent two weeks for our honeymoon at Thudufushi in November 2013.
It was our first time to the Maldives, we were really excited to experience pure luxury and we did, but there were a few negatives which didn’t make it as luxurious as we thought it would be.

The sea plane was a very new experience; it’s a beautiful journey for first time travellers taking in the beautiful little islands as you fly over the sea. We were greeted from the sea plane by boat and taken to reception for check in where a refreshing drink greeted us. Later that evening we met for a tour of the island and were explained everything we needed to know about the island including scuba kit and trips.

We were taken to our room by guest relations, where fruit and a bottle of sparkling wine greeted us; we had 7 nights in a beach bungalow. It was a lovely, comfortable room, loved the stocked mini fridge and the bathroom was excellent. They are cleaned daily with a turn down service in the evening – we weren’t treated to any bed art which was a bit of a shame, but hey, we weren’t in the Maldives for that!

The second 7 nights we had a water villa, they are spectacular, really lovely rooms, so big! Just as everyone else has mentioned already really. The only negative is in bad weather it was very noisy with the sea and it was difficult to sleep. We had villa 9 and found it pretty private, we saw so many fish just off our jetty and could swim off our steps the sea was like a warm bath, we saw a huge shark swim past one morning, sadly we weren’t in the water to see it properly!
As people have already mentioned the current can be strong so be careful, this was my favourite place to swim as it was deep enough not to worry about hurting the coral and there were beautiful fish and turtles. When the weather was good the sea was like a sheet of glass and every afternoon around feeding time you could watch all the fish jumping out of the water to save themselves it was a magical view.
We had breakfast delivered one morning, but didn’t do it again, it was a bit cold and eggs over cooked so we liked the stroll to either over water restaurant and sometimes we still used the main restaurant.

Restaurants – main restaurant was excellent, I loved the huge choice and always found something to eat (I don’t eat meat), the bbq was lovely, but the only downside was the same marinade was used every lunchtime and dinner so it got a bit samey, as with the curry, it was always the same flavour, but the selection was so big it was easy to choose something else, the puddings were exceptional. We always had the same table and our waiter was excellent, wine very good too. Every night before dinner we would have a cocktail with some nibbles at the bar, the cocktail list was brilliant.

Over water restaurant – this is a beautiful setting; it’s very romantic. I noticed in here that they would give me a glass of Prosecco for my first drink then afterwards it went back to sparkling wine which you can obviously tell the difference between – I don’t understand why they would do that and it was a shame as it made me have to switch drinks. The menu was 4 courses, but you could choose how much you wanted, some days the food was out of this world, but every day the fish course would be tuna despite the menu saying otherwise and the vegetarian course was always very similar and quite boring, again we both found this to be quite disappointing. I may have felt differently if I ate meat, but a couple of occasions we choose to dine back in the main restaurant because of this, we did mention it to the waiter, he didn’t say much and we weren’t given the opportunity to discuss it with the chef like some of the other reviews.
We had a beautiful meal on the beach which was so romantic and the food was excellent, we just had to watch our feet with all the crabs, hundreds run over the beach at night!

Entertainment – it’s a bit cheesy, WII dance competition isn’t what I was expecting, but it was ok some people enjoyed it. People do get to talking to each other though and we met some really lovely people who helped make the holiday.

Trips – We went on the whale shark excursion – worth every single penny. We spotted the baby whale shark almost straight away. I am petrified of deep sea water so when we arrived I didn’t want to get in, the others on the trip went in and came back on the boat to catch it up again, this time I gave it a try. Everyone was calling me to get in, but I was too scared, eventually one of the Maldivian boat guys came back to the boat to get me, he held me on a rubber ring all of the way it was wonderful and I am truly grateful to this chap. As we were so lucky to see the whale shark straight away we went looking for Manta ray, which wasn’t part of the trip so it was an added bonus. After sailing for a while and having dolphins swim alongside the boat we were lucky enough to find some and, again, the young Maldivian man took my hand and swam with me the whole way so I too could experience it without being too scared. Juliana was excellent, so full of enthusiasm for the sea and its life.

We also went on some sunset fishing trips which were great fun, we caught a lot of fish and had a great time with 2 other couples, we had lunch the next day on the catch. Alex’s the entertainment manager loved fishing, it’s so much fun to be around someone with passion for the activity you are doing. When we went on a half day deep sea fishing trip with a lovely couple we met there another member of the team came with us and didn’t get involved, or speak the whole trip, which made it a bit uncomfortable to be honest. We caught on that trip and again were cooked a nice meal with the catch which we could enjoy with the people we met.

Snorkelling off the main island was beautiful, we saw beautiful fish and one night I was brave enough to swim from one bouy to the other with mu husband on the island during feeding time. All the small fish swam by us to deter the bigger fish from the catch they swam right up to our faces, it was magical.

The Spa was out of this world! My husband and I indulged in a couple’s treatment which included foot treatment massage etc, it was fantastic and I would have gone back again if it was a little cheaper.

None of the water sports were working the whole of our 2 week holiday which was a real shame as my husband was looking forward to it so much; we were really disappointed at this. Also we had about 4 really bad weather days while we were there, all trips were cancelled (understandably), but there was absolutely nothing to do. The sea was too rough, the sun wasn’t out, I had slept all I could and my husband doesn’t particularly read. One day we did watch a film on the apple mac, but we were still in the beach villa when it started and there was no TV, besides there are only so many films you can watch. It was a real shame, but what I found to be worse is the entertainment staff were nowhere to be seen, I think you need to revaluate this. A quiz or something could have been put on in the bar to help keep customers boredom at bay. Thankfully the other lovely people we met were happy to chat, but I feel disappointed a 5 star resort like Thudufushi would not have anything laid on for customers in the event of terrible weather like this.

So as we said parts were paradise, but I feel there could be quite a few improvements to bring this up to the standard we were both expecting from a luxury resort.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Perfect. The place is beautiful, food very good and amazing customer service.
We were very pleased with everything really.
We cant wait for our next visit in few years, we are hoping to be able to book soon as the majority of guest on the island.

Room Tip: Beach Villa number 40. Water Villas 19 and 25.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Over the last ten years we have been to Thudufushi four times, the last visit being four years ago.

There were no water villas on our previous visit and I was a bit sceptical as to whether they would spoil this little piece of paradise. I was reluctant to even do a tour of one but my husband booked it. Wow they have been done to a great standard and we did try to pay for one night stay but they were fully booked. As mentioned by one reviewer, some of them do lack privacy and I would prefer the beach villas. We were shocked to see some erosion of the beach in parts and to be honest to stay in a bungalow near to this area would be dark and have no sun in the afternoon.

The staff were excellent. Any request we had was dealt with quickly. The bar staff are attentive and our table waiter (Hushima or shu as we called him) was lovely. The animation team were friendly and this time around we did a nature trail around the island with the marine biologist, which was very interesting.

The selection of food is great - something for everyone - but hot food at lunchtime was luke warm. It was noticeable especially after the chef had gone on hols.

We don't dive but there are loads of interesting fish near to the island, table tennis, pool, and a mini gym.

All in all a fantastic holiday and we will be visiting my favourite place again in the future.

Room Tip: Room 45 has a great expanse of beach and less busy than the other side of the island
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Burgenland, Austria
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We have been for the 6th time to the Maldives. Always on different islands, but the third time in the South Ari Atoll. It's a very good atoll for diving and if you are lucky you can find a lot big stuff (manatas, whale sharks and of course sharks). The diving base is well equipped and the guides are very nice and competent. Stephano leads the base since 6(!) years.

It was the first time for us, that every day in the evening there was some kind of animation program. Karaoke, Wii dance competition and so on. I don't need this, especially when I'm in the Maldives with my wife, but she enjoyed it.

We stayed in a water villa. The water villas have a very big terrace which is well shadowed. There is a table, where you can take the complementary villa breakfast and lounge chairs to relax. They are not very private, but you have the possibility to close curtains on the left and right side to avoid views from the neighboring villas. Inside there is everything you need in very high quality. Bathroom is smaller than we knew from other islands but big enough.

You can directly start swimming or snorkeling from the terrace and in contrast to other islands the water was always deep (even in low tide) enough not to eventually touch the corrals.

We stayed in villa 13 which is on the sun set side, but you look at the jetty (100 m away in opposite direction) and not to the open water. So if you have the choice, take a villa from 15 - 21. (I have uploaded a plan of the water villas)

The beach villas are (from outside) by fare not so comfortable and private as the water villas. On the south there are some villas where there is nearly no beach left, because of the tide and waves. But and that’s very important for us there are no artificial barriers to stop the waves.

Meal in the over water restaurant is included, if you have booked a water villa and very delicious. There is a daily changing menu card, where you can select what you want. We ate every day fish, which was very good and fresh. Portions are not too big, but it's no problem to order 2 or 3 startes or main courses if you are hungry. If you would have to pay (that's when you stay in a beach villa), you may be shocked by the prices.

The house reef was a little bit disappointing for us, since there were less fish than on other islands, but we went diving twice a day, so this was not too bad for us.

Room Tip: We stayed in villa 13 which is on the sun set side, but you look at the jetty (100 m away in oposite...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Well, where do I start. Being in the travel industry for over 25 years (travel agent, ex air crew, ex-rep, blah blah) I can honestly say that this was a dream come true. My mother booked and paid for this trip for us to travel together. We booked a water-villa (free wifi, massive king size bed, safe, wardrobe with enough space to take the entire wardrobe with you!) to wake up in the morning to have your breakfast served on your deck and enjoy peace and quiet was heaven enough - the selection of food was just out of this world. To have a mini bar packed full of bottles of semi-decent wine, was great for me. You can either walk to the island or take an electric buggy that runs around the decking connecting the water-villas to the island - personally, I loved to walk and look into the sea to see what amazing variety of fish were swimming around that day. The water-villas have their own restaurant and how I am going to explain the menu to you will take me all day. Variety! of a fantastic standard - well, the chef has worked at the Burj Al Arab in Dubai but he is from Thailand, so expect wonderfully presented and well cooked food. We had made friends with another mother daughter travelling together and they stayed on the island in a bungalow. They looked fantastic too and they loved the food. Our friends where out there to do 2 dives a day, this is the best place to do this as it's on the outer rim of the atoll. The island has lots of diving and snorkelling trips but to see 'Trigger Fish', nursing shark, parrot fish, noodle fish just off of the shoreline and I was in heaven. I did not dive but saw the same fish as my friend did who was diving (apart from the whale shark) I am a beach girl and found that even though there were others staying here, I felt I had the island all to myself!. My mother has travelled to the Maldives over 7 times and said this is the one island she would go back to. I want to go back and take my children as I felt safe and secure and also the food would cater for us all as it is a genuine All-Inclusive. This really though, is a honeymooners paradise and waking up one morning, looking out to the sea, is when I really missed my husband being with me. Thank you guys - you made a girls dream come true x

Room Tip: Water-Villas are a must
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family